News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What would cause you to lose interest in roadgeeking?

Started by hbelkins, January 21, 2019, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on January 28, 2019, 07:55:47 AM
Interest would still be there even if I developed some disability.

Probably, but if it was a life-changing disability, your day-to-day interests may change (though you may still have a lingering interest in the back of your mind).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

index

Quote from: jakeroot on January 26, 2019, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: corco on January 26, 2019, 02:00:46 PM
If I otherwise got a life.

I'm not even really sure I'm a roadgeek anymore - I still like to travel and clinch things, but otherwise I'm indifferent to most aspects of the hobby.
You seem kind of like me. I am a roadgeek but I'm not really into things like sign fonts.

Better than roadgeeks who get all wound up over a non-standard typeface. I think it's cool when something unusual is used.

Same here -- part of what makes roads actually interesting to me (I'm more into things like traffic control, signals, etc) is that everything isn't absolutely standardized and each and every thing has its little bit of variation. If everything was uniform, it wouldn't be too interesting. Imagine if everything was FDOT spec, that wouldn't be too interesting for a lot of people.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

MNHighwayMan

Hard disagree. I like standards, and especially when an agency demonstrates a superb ability to actually follow those standards.

That said, it can be fun to gawk at the freak, too.

formulanone

Quote from: index on January 29, 2019, 08:41:25 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 26, 2019, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: corco on January 26, 2019, 02:00:46 PM
If I otherwise got a life.

I'm not even really sure I'm a roadgeek anymore - I still like to travel and clinch things, but otherwise I'm indifferent to most aspects of the hobby.
You seem kind of like me. I am a roadgeek but I'm not really into things like sign fonts.

Better than roadgeeks who get all wound up over a non-standard typeface. I think it's cool when something unusual is used.

Same here -- part of what makes roads actually interesting to me (I'm more into things like traffic control, signals, etc) is that everything isn't absolutely standardized and each and every thing has its little bit of variation. If everything was uniform, it wouldn't be too interesting. Imagine if everything was FDOT spec, that wouldn't be too interesting for a lot of people.

FDOT-spec isn't bad place to start. Most regulatory/warning signage is good stock, road-striping is bright and uniform (for tourists and the elderly?), but the guide signage and route shields are left to the whims of local jurisdictions, tolling authorities, or whatever one of the 7 different districts chooses on. You get a lot of variation in that slice of roadgeekery.

On the other hand, no two states do things exactly alike, and that makes it interesting, as well.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 29, 2019, 08:48:18 AM

See above.

---------------------------------------

With all that, it's totally okay to focus on other things in life and try to be experts in a different field. You only live once so many times:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2012-09-02

Roadgeekteen

Hard disagree. I like standards, and especially when an agency demonstrates a superb ability to actually follow those standards.

I like errors that are super out there.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

The fun part of standards-following agencies is when they run into a non-standard situation and then try to bend the standard to meet the need.

This isn't interesting at all if every third panel has an entirely different design.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2019, 06:20:25 AM

The fun part of standards-following agencies is when they run into a non-standard situation and then try to bend the standard to meet the need.

This isn't interesting at all if every third panel has an entirely different design.

I hadn't thought about it like that, but you're completely right.

dvferyance

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 21, 2019, 04:36:20 PM
Losing the ability to drive would be a big one for me.

But even if I could then find someone to drive for me, losing my sight would be even worse. So much of this hobby depends on eyesight that going blind would be a killer. I even made a topic about it once.

Ho boy.  If I were to lose my eyesight, I might lose interest in life itself.  I always say "eyes" as my answer, if anyone asks me which body part I couldn't live without.  My interests are so eyesight-driven because I'm very much a visual-spatial thinker.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.