What brand of toilet paper have you been buying during the pandemic?

Started by Pink Jazz, October 13, 2021, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What brand of toilet paper have you been buying during the pandemic?

Charmin
3 (21.4%)
Quilted Northern
1 (7.1%)
Cottonelle
1 (7.1%)
Charmin Essentials
0 (0%)
Angel Soft
3 (21.4%)
Scott
1 (7.1%)
A store brand (specify)
1 (7.1%)
Other (specify)
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2021, 04:51:14 PM
.... I've found that a lot of the higher-end brands produce something similar to what I've always heard called "tattle balls" on sweaters. Little flakes of the paper roll up and cling to your flesh, requiring even more wiping, leaving even more paper remnants, rinse and repeat.

In this context, the term I've always heard is "dingleberries." The maker of Tushy brand bidet seats even uses that term on their website. (I looked into the Tushy Ace, which has heated water and a heated seat, after seeing it on CNN, but none of our bathrooms has an electrical outlet in the right place, so I'd have to hire an electrician on top of the device's $599 price, and that's a bit much.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2021, 07:40:21 AM
.... I've found that a lot of the higher-end brands produce something similar to what I've always heard called "tattle balls" on sweaters. Little flakes of the paper roll up and cling to your flesh, requiring even more wiping, leaving even more paper remnants, rinse and repeat.

In this context, the term I've always heard is "dingleberries." The maker of Tushy brand bidet seats even uses that term on their website. (I looked into the Tushy Ace, which has heated water and a heated seat, after seeing it on CNN, but none of our bathrooms has an electrical outlet in the right place, so I'd have to hire an electrician on top of the device's $599 price, and that's a bit much.)

Yeah, I almost suggested "dingleberries," but I'm pretty sure that term can also describe remnants of...other materials.

I cannot recommend the GenieBidet enough.  It doesn't require electricity, and the unheated water is a bit bracing when the temperature outside is well below freezing, but it's also 1/4 the cost of the Tushy Ace, and can be easily installed without the need for a plumber or electrician.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 14, 2021, 09:34:08 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2021, 07:40:21 AM

Yeah, I almost suggested "dingleberries," but I'm pretty sure that term can also describe remnants of...other materials.

I cannot recommend the GenieBidet enough.  It doesn't require electricity, and the unheated water is a bit bracing when the temperature outside is well below freezing, but it's also 1/4 the cost of the Tushy Ace, and can be easily installed without the need for a plumber or electrician.

At my house, the text I've highlighted in boldface would ensure a Wife Acceptance Factor of zero!

In theory, I could install the Ace without an electrician if I were to run a short extension cord, but (a) that would be ugly, (b) it would pretty much permanently occupy a valuable electrical outlet unless I were to install one of those taps that adds extra outlets, (c) the locations of the outlets vary in the different bathrooms, and (d) I'm not certain whether running an extension cord around the floor past the shower door (in the master bathroom) or around behind the base of the pedestal sink and up the wall next to it (in the powder room) would be hazardous due to the nearby presence of water. Hence why I'm reluctant to run an extension cord.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 14, 2021, 12:28:28 AM
Been using Kirkland (Costco's house brand) toilet paper for years now. I have no idea which brand manufactures them though.

It is apparently made by Clearwater Paper Company.

hbelkins

I've never used a bidet, and am not terribly enthused at the prospects, unless the water pressure is remnant of a power washer or self-serve car wash sprayer to ensure all the waste material is blasted away. I can't really envision a gentle flow of water providing my preferred level of cleanliness. It's one reason I always approach hotel showers with trepidation. In my experience, most of them are a trickle compared to the blast of pressure I have at home.

And in reference to the need to dry the affected area after use, wouldn't that render the TP soggy or cause it to flake? Seems like a paper towel or cloth towel would be more appropriate.

TMI department, probably: I don't exert a small amount of force when I'm using TP for its intended purpose. I dig and swipe pretty vigorously to ensure that all detritus is removed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 11:15:41 AMthe water pressure is remnant of a power washer or self-serve car wash sprayer to ensure all the waste material is blasted away.

It is.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 11:15:41 AMAnd in reference to the need to dry the affected area after use, wouldn't that render the TP soggy or cause it to flake? Seems like a paper towel or cloth towel would be more appropriate.

It's not really drenched after you use the bidet.  The targeted areas are facing down, so everything drip-dries pretty well.  And if I'm going to use TP to dry, I use as much as I'd use if I was wiping, which defeats the purpose.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 11:15:41 AMTMI department, probably: I don't exert a small amount of force when I'm using TP for its intended purpose. I dig and swipe pretty vigorously to ensure that all detritus is removed.

Then you're definitely a man who would appreciate a bidet.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 14, 2021, 12:02:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 11:15:41 AMthe water pressure is remnant of a power washer or self-serve car wash sprayer to ensure all the waste material is blasted away.

It is.

Is not.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

The "Ace" model I referred to earlier apparently has some sort of air-dry system, based on the CNN review and the manufacturer's website.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on October 14, 2021, 01:36:49 PM
It is.
Is not.
Assuming HB meant to say "reminiscent," it is. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2021, 04:12:18 PMHow are you storing a four-year supply of paper goods? They are bulky enough that for us, even a supply of a few months is enough to take up enough space that it becomes an inconvenience.

We have an unfinished full basement with three shelf sets at one end.  Each set has five 3' x 5' shelves.  This is more than sufficient to accommodate the paper goods and other items we lay down in advance, such as detergents, light bulbs, canned produce, snack nuts, and so on.  All of the bathrooms have built-in vanities that are deep enough to accommodate 12-packs of toilet paper in the usual 3 x 2 x 2 configuration, with the shrink-wrapping pre-slit so that a new roll of TP can be removed easily with one hand when necessary.

All or nearly all of the TP in our stockpile is Cottonelle, bulk-bought at Sam's Club.

We consume TP very slowly--about one roll per month per person.  I've seen wildly varying estimates of consumption rate for the average American, ranging from one roll every three days to one roll every two weeks.  Most women report higher rates than men because urination requires a square or two to blot dry.  People with medical conditions that result in chronic diarrhea, such as short-bowel syndrome, also tend to use much more TP.  At the other end of the scale in terms of stool consolidation, stools with little water content make wiping much more difficult since the fecal matter tends to stick like rubber cement, and that in turn can drive TP use too.

I like bidets in concept, but we do not have room for a dedicated bidet in any of our bathrooms, nor have we installed a bidet attachment on any of our toilets.  I'm a fan of showers as "vertical bidets," with a separate washcloth kept unsoaped to clean the anus (soap is a mild chemical irritant and will result in itching if the skin down there becomes sensitized).  A healthy person with normal digestion can often head off a lot of trouble by keeping things centered in terms of diet--at least 100% of the fiber RDA every day with five servings of vegetables from at least three different vegetables, none of which is potato.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 14, 2021, 03:17:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 14, 2021, 01:36:49 PM
It is.
Is not.
Assuming HB meant to say "reminiscent," it is.

I did mean that. The wrong "r" word got transmitted from brain to fingers.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2021, 01:54:11 PM
The "Ace" model I referred to earlier apparently has some sort of air-dry system, based on the CNN review and the manufacturer's website.

The high-velocity hand dryers in many public restrooms get a bad rap for blowing fecal matter bits and the accompanying bacteria around. Our new office was equipped with those that will wrinkle the skin on the back of your hands, whereas the old office had motion-activated towel dispensers. People weren't happy with the air dryers so they started putting boxes of "handy wipes" (paper towel-like items in a box instead of on a roll) in the bathrooms. Sometime during the height of the pandemic last year when most people were working from home, paper towel dispensers were put in the bathroom. Unfortunately, they're the round "pull straight down" types that tend not to tear the towels at the perforations very well. But the air dryers are rarely used now.

One can only imagine how much "stuff" gets spread by an air-drying bidet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

^^^^

Interesting point, I hadn't thought about that. I started putting the lid down before flushing several years ago for two reasons–(1) I read about "toilet plume" and (2) more importantly, I accidentally dropped a roll of TP in the bowl once when moving stuff around. (Ms1995hoo does not put the lid down.) You do raise a very interesting point. I wasn't seriously considering installing one for the reasons I noted earlier, and your point just makes it that much less likely.

J N Winkler

I basically don't worry about toilet plume from the siphon-type toilets used in most people's houses.  The flushometers used in public bathrooms are worse for dispersion of potentially harmful aerosols because they flush much more aggressively.  When I am in a public bathroom, I often flush the toilet an additional time before I do my business unless I can see it is pristine.  Each time I activate the flush mechanism, I take a deep breath, hold it in before I press the button/push the lever, and breathe out slowly while the water cycles.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Our toilets at home are of a different design than most in terms of the flush mechanism and the water drains more aggressively. But you know, I was thinking further–if a bidet seat has any air-dry function, to what degree does its position vis-a-vis your arse perhaps prevent excessive spreading of airborne residue?

abefroman329

If your ass is big enough to cover the toilet seat (as mine is), is this still a concern?

Pink Jazz

Looks like Georgia Pacific has just introduced Angel Soft Ultra:
Angel Soft® Ultra Toilet Paper | Angel Soft®

I presume this slots between regular Angel Soft and Quilted Northern.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.