Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Checked out the end at IN-68 yesterday, permanent signage is now in place along the spur of Interstate 69 northbound (the exit numbers are blank). It appears that the pavement is done leading north and that it is just a matter of time before the road gets extended northward. I have photos and will post some later (posted one on the AARoads on Facebook page yesterday).

Anthony_JK

1) They are anti-freeway to begin with.

2) They would still rather prefer I-69 bypass Bloomington via US 41/I-70 through Vincennes/Terre Haute.

3) They don't respond too well to what they see as blackmail on InDOT's part.

4) They're totally out of their mind. (And yes, I'm left of center, but I don't agree with them at all.)

Anthony

tdindy88

Quote from: Alex on November 08, 2011, 10:08:30 AM
Checked out the end at IN-68 yesterday, permanent signage is now in place along the spur of Interstate 69 northbound (the exit numbers are blank). It appears that the pavement is done leading north and that it is just a matter of time before the road gets extended northward. I have photos and will post some later (posted one on the AARoads on Facebook page yesterday).

Orginally, when that spur opened, it was signed as "Exit 22" which continued the I-164 mileage system, with I-64 being Exit 21. Soon after they removed it, possibly because a) Since I-69 will be joining I-164 around the Green River Road area and not at the 0 milemarker at US 41, the exits will be different anyway (only by about a number or two) and b) There is an Exit 22 on I-69 in Anderson, Indiana, so for a brief time there were actually two Exit 22s on the same highway but in different parts of the state. I'm guessing the official reason is more like with a, but anyhow, once the first three sections open up, a numbering system will have to be in place. As for Bloomington....oh boy.

RoadWarrior56

There are only a limited number of at-grade intersections left along SR 37 at Bloomington anyway.  If INDOT connects I-69 to SR 37 from the south using state funds and then starts to gradually upgrade SR 37 to I-69 from the north, then Bloomington could end up being Indiana's version of Breezewood, PA.  Imagine the queues at those traffic lights in about 10 years, hahaha.   Actually, I suspect that something will be worked out on I-69 in the Bloomington area at some point.

Alex

Some of the photos shot yesterday (11-07) at the Interstate 69 current end at SR 68. [click for larger]

mukade

Quote from: purdueboiler on November 08, 2011, 10:00:06 AM
I don't get what the big dispute is about with these people.  I-69 is going to be built up to and connecting to SR 37 regardless.  From that point on the footprint of the interstate is already built on by SR 37.  What exactly are these people trying to stop???  Are a few interchanges going to really destroy the environment within Bloomington?

Don't look for any logic there. They have it all bass ackwards because once section 4 to SR 37 is built, the war will have been lost for them. INDOT has all approvals to build this part, but nonetheless, they are hellbent on winning the battle within their juridiction. The definition of winning is being as obstructionist to INDOT as possible. You would think that overpasses and interchanges on road that already exists would be something they want, but because INDOT wants that, they don't.

I haven't checked election results in Bloomington, but I think some of the key people like Andy Ruff were doing well early.

codyg1985

Quote from: purdueboiler on November 08, 2011, 10:00:06 AM
I don't get what the big dispute is about with these people.  I-69 is going to be built up to and connecting to SR 37 regardless.  From that point on the footprint of the interstate is already built on by SR 37.  What exactly are these people trying to stop???  Are a few interchanges going to really destroy the environment within Bloomington?

I don't quite understand it either, but I think their concerns are increased traffic due to I-69 and the transport of hazardous cargo through Bloomington. The former would probably be alleviated by building the interstate, and the latter happens all of the time across the country.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mukade

Editorial from the Evansville Courier Press on the recent antics of the Bloomington anti-I-69 people:
EDITORIAL: I-69 opponents' views on accidents, extortion are outrageous

In the elections in Bloomington last week, after a major snafu counting votes, the same people were re-elected to office so expect more of the same.

mukade

The new INDOT 18 Months Construction Letting List was posted today and finally includes all the sections closing the gap from US 231 to SR 37. The contracts are scheduled to be let between 12/2011 and 12/2012. Fingers crossed.

Grzrd

Quote from: mukade on November 15, 2011, 05:31:04 PM
The contracts are scheduled to be let between 12/2011 and 12/2012. Fingers crossed.
If certain provisions in Senate transportation bill survive, Bloomington/Monroe County MPO may cease to exist. Double fingers crossed.  :happy:
http://dc.streetsblog.org/2011/11/14/senate-bill-may-weaken-smaller-metros-empower-state-dots/

Revive 755

^ Probably one of those too good to pass provisions similar to bumping the interstate speed limits in Illinois or Ohio up to 70.

mukade

Greene County is adjacent to Monroe County, where Bloomington is. Here is a recent editorial from their newspaper entitled "It's time for I-69 naysayers to let it go", which shows that popularity for the new road starts just south and west of Bloomington - where there are no safe or wide roads to anywhere.

North of Monroe County (Morgan and Marion Counties), there is a mix of pro and anti-I-69 sentiment. That is normal, but they the big difference is that they don't have the radical and obstructionist element that Bloomington has.

ShawnP

Agree mukade as I read that article yesterday. Part of me wants to put GPS transmitters on all the I-69 opponents and see where they are driving in a few years when I-69 is done.

mukade

Quote from: ShawnP on November 18, 2011, 10:49:08 AM
Agree mukade as I read that article yesterday. Part of me wants to put GPS transmitters on all the I-69 opponents and see where they are driving in a few years when I-69 is done.

An excellent point, but you don't need to wait. Look at article "24 Arrested After Statehouse Vandalized". Seeing these people who protested/vandalized were from Michigan, Kentucky, Missouri, etc., how did they get to Indy? We all know the hypocrites drove the Interstates.

Anyway, that incident set the tone for the way INDOT would push forward. The next major protest would result in felony charges against two protesters/vandals under the Indiana Corrupt Business Influence Act (which is like RICO). If that would not have happened, I doubt that much of I-69 would be under construction today.

hbelkins

"Chestwood, Ky." should be "Crestwood," which is a bedroom community for Loserville. The other Kentuckians were from Loserville. Those same four assholes are probably now members of River Fields and 8664.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

River Fields and 8664 aren't  those definations for arseholes.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: hbelkins on November 18, 2011, 08:52:27 PM
"Chestwood, Ky." should be "Crestwood," which is a bedroom community for Loserville. The other Kentuckians were from Loserville. Those same four assholes are probably now members of River Fields and 8664.

And they probably will be imported to NOLA to bring down the I-10 Claiborne Elevated, too.

Anthony

tidecat

River Fields and 8664 are opposed to each other; River Fields doesn't want the I-265 bridge around the East End of Louisville, 8864 does.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

mukade

Editorial from Evansville:

EDITORIAL: Interstate 69 foes face an equally determined Daniels

Also, bids were taken for another section of I-69 before Christmas. I assume the contract award for the ~$85M project will be announced later this week.

ShawnP

Indiana has 1.5 to 2.0 Billion in the bank (recently "found" a extra 300 million). So money is not a problem for them. Daniels has four aces in his hand and the Road Nutties have a pair of 2's. It's going to get built and I predict when it's built that suddenly Bloomington will fall in love with it. Haven't seen many rural towns say they don't like having Interstate road access.

mukade

One thing of interest is that the KappaMap 2012 road atlas (formerly Universal, I think) shows I-69 as complete from SR 68 north to US 231 at Crane. It shows it under construction from US 231 north to Indy. I guess this is the counterbalance to Rand McNally's 2012 road atlas - one shows too much progress and one too little. Accuracy would be nice.

The Kentucky section that is signed is not shown in the KappaMap atlas, BTW.

So to wrap up 2011, Indiana has 72 continuous miles of new terrain I-69 from SR 68 north to 4.5 miles east of US 231 are under contract. A contract for what appears to be around 6 miles from SR 45 to SR 54 to a connector with SR 445 looks to be awarded to Kolb Grading out of Missouri shortly. There will be a gap of approximately 6 miles between the 72 mile section and this one. Next year should have the remaining sections from US 231 to SR 37 in Bloomington under construction. How a short part of that controversial stretch near SR 37 will be funded is not finalized thanks to the Bloomingtom MPO, but the state has the money in any event.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: ShawnP on December 29, 2011, 09:12:53 AM
Indiana has 1.5 to 2.0 Billion in the bank (recently "found" a extra 300 million). So money is not a problem for them. Daniels has four aces in his hand and the Road Nutties have a pair of 2's. It's going to get built and I predict when it's built that suddenly Bloomington will fall in love with it. Haven't seen many rural towns say they don't like having Interstate road access.

I taught of the same thing, some NIMBY might found the light and fell in love with I-69.

tdindy88

Quote from: mukade on December 30, 2011, 03:44:44 PM
One thing of interest is that the KappaMap 2012 road atlas (formerly Universal, I think) shows I-69 as complete from SR 68 north to US 231 at Crane. It shows it under construction from US 231 north to Indy. I guess this is the counterbalance to Rand McNally's 2012 road atlas - one shows too much progress and one too little. Accuracy would be nice.

Well, at least the official Indiana highway map has it correctly that the highway is under construction from SR 68 to Crane, but then again I would hope that they would be accurate. As for Bloomington, I think what will happen with those in town once the completion of the interstate is over is that the city of Bloomington won't change too much, will still be known for its atmosphere and will still attract people to its great university, interstate or not. Good city government and planners will ensue that the city remains as it is with or without the interstate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.