News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Where are these plans you speak of, I'm not doubting you, it's just I haven't seen any sign diagrams for I-69 before.

mukade

It takes a lot of work. First, find the contract number.

Then go here. In the dropdown labeled "Choose A Document Type" select "Plan/Drawing Sets" and enter just the 5 digit number in the contract number text box.

In the results page, select the "Traffic" document(s) if they exist.

Caution: some contracts don't seem to have traffic documents.

So how do you find a contract number in the first place? Go here and try to figure out when the contract you are interested in was let. I think that particular section of I-69 was let in October, 2010 (or thereabouts). In the page that is displayed, click on the "Official Bid Results" hyperlink and get the contract number from that page.

tdindy88

Thanks, I've already found one for the SR 64 exit (33 I think?) and I will look for more. Off the top of what I saw, I was surprised to not see Oakland City as a control at that exit (Princeton and Huntingburg were listed.) I've had a thing for controls on signage and seeing this may satisfy me for now.

mukade

SR 168, SR 64, SR 56/61, SR 58, and US 231 ones are out there. I could not find US 50. Indianapolis and Evansville are the I-69 control cities, BTW (no real surprise that Bloomington is not).

All Kokomo US 31 freeway signs are in a single document - complete with two SR 931 exits.

tdindy88

Did a little more exploring, and I must do more later on. I found US 50, it's control cities are Washington and Vincennes, but interestingly no Loogootee. Loogootee is mentioned on the off-ramp however alongside Washington and Vincennes. Moving further north, I saw Exit 98 for SR 45, which was signed for just the highway, no controls. I was looking for the SR 37 exit but that contract may not be out yet.

I also noticed the US 31 signs and I saw that they are using exit tabs for the signs along the new US 31 in Kokomo, but not on the signs for US 31 in Hamilton County. I have no idea on the Plymouth to Fort Wayne segment. And if the Kokomo signs are to correct, that will be the second non-interstate stretch to have exit numbers. Thanks again for the link, I was looking earlier through INDOT's site and it would have been a while before I would have stumbled on that page.

mukade

I found those pages quite a while ago - maybe over a year ago by just using Google or Bing. I actually found some mistakes in signs on US 31 Kokomo and notified INDOT back then. They had an incorrect road on a mileage sign on US 31, had a wrong street name on an interchange, and back then it only showed small green signs saying "SOUTH BEND" and "INDIANAPOLIS" (i.e. in caps) for SR 22 at the freeway. No highway markers were on the drawings for these signs. The current document for US 31 Kokomo looks real good from what I can see so maybe the ones that were originally posted were preliminary. Most contracts did not have a traffic document published when I looked last year.

As for exit tabs, I also noticed what you said. Even a year ago, tabs were shown on the signage around Kokomo. What is surprising is that Hamilton County section of US 31 doesn't have them. The actual SR 38 BGS that was erected confirms the diagrams on the INDOT site.

I have not seen any signage diagrams for US 31 South Bend. SR 25 signage plan for Delphi is out there (the control City is "Delphi", not "Delphi" and "Rossville").

roadman65

According to a map atlas at a local Walgreen's Drug Store, it shows a sizeable chunk of I-69 completed north of I-64.  It also shows the rest of the route under construction to Indianapolis.

I do not know how much of this is correct as this is a non Rand McNally road map.  Plus, it only shows the US 31 freeway under construction between Plymouth and South Bend and not at all showing the US 31 Kokomo Bypass.  Both freeways are well into being built and that means that there could be a wide margin of error for this map printer.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mukade

Kappa Map, perhaps? That one shows:
- I-69 open to US 231 from the south (it is only open from I-64 to SR 68)
- I-69 under construction from US 231 to Indianapolis (you could say it is mostly UC from US 231 to an extension of SR 445)
- US 31 UC south from South Bend to US 6 (fairly accurate, but now UC further south)
- US 31 Kokomo construction not shown
- US 24 as under construction in Indiana and Ohio even though part of it opened in 2009 - this is not shown as freeway even though part of it really is
- SR 641 as UC even though part of it opened in 2010
It does not show:
- SR 25 construction even though it is under construction from Lafayette to Logansport with part of the new roadway open
- I-74 & Ronald Reagan Pkwy interchange or I-65 & 109th Avenue or even I-65 & SR 14 which opened years ago
- Doesn't show divided portions of US 27, SR 28, or SR 331 that were completed years ago

If it is that atlas, you said it right. It is not a very accurate map.

Morriswa

I am eagerly awaiting I-69's completion.

roadman65

I think it might be a Kappa map.  I will go to Walgreen's on way home from work tomorrow and see.  Alex thinks it is as it took I-49 around Texarkana out of the AR state DOT official map, where it was shown only proposed as this map showing UC>
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2012, 08:26:23 PM
I think it might be a Krappa map.  I will go to Walgreen's on way home from work tomorrow and see.  Alex thinks it is as it took I-49 around Texarkana out of the AR state DOT official map, where it was shown only proposed as this map showing UC>

If it was, it indeed is just a straight copy from the Indiana official state map. That was part of their MO, write for official state maps, graft what is new and show proposed lines as under construction without question.

Them showing I-69 as complete is just an error. When you look at the atlas again, look on the Texas page and see if there is a toll road u/c heading south from Ft. Worth. That is the line for SH 121 Toll (Chisholm Trail). I added that to the research I did on that atlas in 2008, even though it was just proposed at the time.  :D

FLRoads

Another item you might want to check to see if this is indeed a Krappa map is the proposed I-66 in Kentucky from Interstate 24 south of Paducah to I-57 in Missouri. I know it was shown as proposed in prior KY state maps. I know that this proposal showed up on their 2009 professional drivers atlas and other products. I figured I would add this in even though it is not directly related to the I-69 extension but would give you further proof that it was indeed a Krappa product.

tdindy88

Quote from: Alex on April 29, 2012, 09:14:01 PM
If it was, it indeed is just a straight copy from the Indiana official state map. That was part of their MO, write for official state maps, graft what is new and show proposed lines as under construction without question.

At the moment, the official INDOT map is IMO the most updated. I've seen the Kappa atlas and there are plenty of inaccuracies compared to the INDOT map, as listed above. I would prefer Rand McNally, AAA, and Michelen over Kappa.

Morriswa

Doesn't Michelin use AAA's ugly cartography?

tdindy88

I don't think so. I do believe though that AAA and Rand McNally get their stuff from the same source, only it looks different. The same stretches of road that are divided on Rand McNally's Indianapolis map is divided on AAA's. In any case, each type of map has their own style cartographically as far as I'm concerned.

Morriswa

Yeah, and AAA's looks crappy to me.

mukade

Apparently, the final I-69-SR 37 Bloomington interchange design has not been finalized. Democracy in action, I guess...

"˜Trumpet' Or "˜Diamond'? INDOT Wants Your Opinion (Indiana Public Media)
Section 4 Reevaluation Document

sr641

theyre building a spencer bypass in a few years for us 231. maybe i69 traffic can go on that ontheyre way to i70. lol.
Isaac

english si

Quote from: Morriswa on April 30, 2012, 04:28:46 PMDoesn't Michelin use AAA's ugly cartography?
I'll scan a sample of my atlas when I have time. It's certainly not standard Michelin cartography (though they've stopped using it for the British isles now, using the AA's, which is a great shame), but I don't know what it is.

I find the back blurb about the "unique flip-of-the-page' navigation funny - it's far from unique, though it is the main reason I bought the atlas - a usable North America atlas.

sr641

I-67 is going to be joining I69 at Washington.
Isaac

english si

Quote from: english si on May 07, 2012, 07:35:10 AMI'll scan a sample of my atlas when I have time. It's certainly not standard Michelin cartography (though they've stopped using it for the British isles now, using the AA's, which is a great shame), but I don't know what it is.
Not the best location to show all the features, and a mapping error to boot, but

I chose this area as it links in with other recent discussion on the Ohio Valley board about Interstates to Owensboro.

NE2

That's the MapQuest/National Geographic style.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sr641

Quote from: english si on May 10, 2012, 06:23:18 PM
Quote from: english si on May 07, 2012, 07:35:10 AMI'll scan a sample of my atlas when I have time. It's certainly not standard Michelin cartography (though they've stopped using it for the British isles now, using the AA's, which is a great shame), but I don't know what it is.
Not the best location to show all the features, and a mapping error to boot, but

I chose this area as it links in with other recent discussion on the Ohio Valley board about Interstates to Owensboro.

The Audabon Parkway is future Interstate 369.
Isaac

NE2

Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 07:28:09 PM

What's the speed limit? 88?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sr641

Quote from: NE2 on May 10, 2012, 07:57:36 PM
Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 07:28:09 PM

What's the speed limit? 88?

I believe it is 65 m.p.h.
Isaac

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.