News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyAgent

Great pictures, Thanks

I see on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69_in_Indiana

it shows the exits quite a bit down the page but what is puzzling is that they show an exit at state road 356 in Petersburg but the indiana construction map shows the exit a bit farther north of 356 http://www.i69indyevn.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Section-2.pdf

does anyone know the proposed exit numbers for the Washington (U.S. 50), Plainville (SR 58) and U.S 231 exits?

mukade

Three state roads cross I-69 in Petersburg. SR 56 and SR 61 are concurrent and there is an interchange there. SR 356 simply crosses I-69 without an interchange.

The SR 56/SR 61 interchange is very difficult to stop to get photos of due to the barriers so I don't have real good pictures. The paving on the ramps is not fully complete, the paving of the shoulders on the mainline are not done, and a lot of mud (i.e. not seeded) still exists. Nonetheless, I was surprised how close to complete this is as construction on this section started in late spring 2011. When I drove down in May 2012, the overpass was far from complete.

This was one of the two events I stopped at. It seemed to be well attended, but people did not seem to stay long as the temperature was 49 degrees and it was spitting rain.

Southbound from SR 356 toward SR 61/SR 56 interchange

Northbound from SR 356

Westbound SR 356 at I-69

At the community event, I took this picture showing the shoulder is not yet complete

None of the ramps at the SR 61/SR 56 interchange are  100% done and SR 61/SR 56 itself is also not completed. I suppose that could happen in the spring. The signage on the northbound side by the community event was still not erected.

IndyAgent

Thanks for the Info, The wikipedia shows an exit at 356 they must have info wrong but it looks like there is an exit a mile north if you check the link I put in my last email for section 2

mukade

Quote from: IndyAgent on October 20, 2012, 10:15:36 PM
Thanks for the Info, The wikipedia shows an exit at 356 they must have info wrong but it looks like there is an exit a mile north if you check the link I put in my last email for section 2

That would be one of the two postponed interchanges to keep the project within budget. It was a sore point in that the coal trucks will still have to go through downtown Petersburg on their way to the IPL power station.

mgk920

Are parts of I-69 final paved with asphalt instead of concrete?

Mike

mukade

Quote from: mgk920 on October 21, 2012, 12:07:37 AM
Are parts of I-69 final paved with asphalt instead of concrete?

Mike

Yes. It goes back and forth between the two, but is mostly concrete.

mukade

The interchange at US 231 looks like it is fairly close to completion despite some obvious unfinished items like the concrete barriers and lack of directional signage. Some of the local roads are also not yet complete. East of 231 is more rugged, and you can see the road going up a hill on the east side of this interchange.

Northbound (looking east) toward the temporary terminus interchange of US 231

Southbound US 231 at I-69 - the concrete barriers on the bridge have not been poured

Southbound (looking west) entrance to I-69 from US 231

Southbound exit (looking east from US 231) - this ramp will not open to traffic until 2014

The community event here featured antique vehicles and emergency equipment. Even though I know Crane NSA is near this interchange, I did a double take when I saw a US Navy fire truck, but Crane is actually the third largest Navy base (at 62,000 acres) despite being landlocked.

mukade

The US 50 interchange in Washington seemed to be the most problematic. The westbound lanes of US 50 are missing curbing and shoulders and the ramps on the north side  really look like they will be tough to complete on time (especially with all the rain recently). Then again, the contractor is Walsh Construction who built the short duration Allisonvile Road and Super 70 projects. Nevertheless, the lack of progress was surprising, and the fact that many crews were working in the moderate rain Friday and light rain on Saturday indicates that things aren't quite on schedule. Back in May, this project at US 50 appeared to be on track so the contrast with the rapid progress further south in Petersburg was surprising to me.

Up on the main road, you could see a crane and concrete truck with a large crew at work. I have no idea how close the mainline is. On the plus side, most of the directional signing was in place. The weather was dreary and it is difficult to take pictures in this congested area so apologies for the lackluster shots.

Laying concrete for the crossover to the northbound entrance. Note the condition of the ramp in the background.

Going west on US 50 looking at the future westbound lanes. No median and westbound shoulders/curbing exist in the

A lot of activity was still ongoing on I-69 itself

dirtroad66

I went to the Gibson County festival and then drove north to US 50. I don't know if mid to late Nov opening is possible, still a lot to be done. Great pictures considering the weather yesterday.

RoadWarrior56

Based on the photos posted here, I don't see how the entire section of I-69  north to 231 is going to be open anytime within the month of November.  In fact, I would not be shocked to see all or some of it open sometime if the first quarter of '13, depending on the weather.

mukade

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on October 21, 2012, 12:57:49 PM
Based on the photos posted here, I don't see how the entire section of I-69  north to 231 is going to be open anytime within the month of November.  In fact, I would not be shocked to see all or some of it open sometime if the first quarter of '13, depending on the weather.

They are cutting it close, but I would not be surprised either way. A couple of things: first, I think the target was by the end of this year. In Indiana, the construction season could end in late November, but usually you can do some work until about December 10. Second, I would think it could open up to Petersburg or Washington without too much trouble even if weather was really bad. The part that looked really iffy is just north of US 50 (including the ramps on the north side). Even so, I could see the whole section to Crane opening even though more than minor wrap-up work would remain for spring. The weather would have to be somewhat decent, but if they are working seven days a week, they should have time.

Below are some pictures from the SR 58 interchange.

Southbound from SR 58, This is the biggest area that looks like a typical Indiana flat freeway.

Looking north from SR 58

theline

Great pictures, mukade. Thanks from those of us that couldn't make it down.

The Build I-69 web site has just published some aerial photos, courtesy of State Rep. Wendy McNamara: http://www.buildi69.com/?p=1691. Perhaps someone who has seen the construction can provide a better description of what is pictured. Captions like "I-69 Section 2, Segment 2" aren't very meaningful to me. I know I could check the INDOT project page and figure it out, but I don't have the time right now.

mgk920

I'd love to be able to make this, but....

:-(

I still remember the fun of the open house weekend activities right before the part of WI 441 in Calumet and Outagamie Counties here in Appleton opened in late 1993 - and then the freeway opened to normal traffic early the following Monday morning.

Quote from: mukade on October 21, 2012, 12:19:23 AM

The community event here featured antique vehicles and emergency equipment. Even though I know Crane NSA is near this interchange, I did a double take when I saw a US Navy fire truck, but Crane is actually the third largest Navy base (at 62,000 acres) despite being landlocked.

Fire truck manufactured by Pierce Manufacturing http://www.piercemfg.com , located right along US 41(I-xx) here in the Appleton, WI area.  They have had an ongoing contract with the USNavy for many years now.

:cool:

Mike

NE2

US 50 - that's the one where one of the main I-69 promoters owns the land in three quadrants, right?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mukade

Finally, the SR 45 interchange on section 4 (due to open in 2014) is also well along. Up the highway, SR 45 is closed for the construction of the SR 445/I-69 connector. It looks as if a good chunk of SR 445 will also be rebuilt as part of that project.

Bridge over SR 45 in Greene County

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mukade on October 21, 2012, 06:05:43 PM

Southbound from SR 58, This is the biggest area that looks like a typical Indiana flat freeway.

A bouncy castle on an interstate highway?  Now I've seen everything.  :-D
Maybe they're experimenting with new crash barriers!  :biggrin:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ShawnP

Retired from the Navy and Crane was one of the hard sought after shore duty jobs in my rating. It is far away from any other big Navy base so much less stressful than the big Navy bases in Virginia. Glad they named bridges after military folks. I HATE bridges and roads being named after living politicians (yes you Robert Byrd and Kit Bond).

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/indiana/I69-bridges-in-SW-Ind-named-for-honored-soldiers

mukade

Except for a section between SR 68 and SR 168, I-69 in Indiana has made its way on to Google Maps.

It beat SR 25 from Lafayette to Delphi even though that opens tomorrow - and I-69 looks to be weeks away from opening.

theline

Quote from: ShawnP on October 23, 2012, 02:05:20 PM
Retired from the Navy and Crane was one of the hard sought after shore duty jobs in my rating. It is far away from any other big Navy base so much less stressful than the big Navy bases in Virginia. Glad they named bridges after military folks. I HATE bridges and roads being named after living politicians (yes you Robert Byrd and Kit Bond).

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/indiana/I69-bridges-in-SW-Ind-named-for-honored-soldiers

theline

Quote from: mukade on October 23, 2012, 08:10:02 PM
Except for a section between SR 68 and SR 168, I-69 in Indiana has made its way on to Google Maps.

It beat SR 25 from Lafayette to Delphi even though that opens tomorrow - and I-69 looks to be weeks away from opening.

It looks like somebody drew it in with a yellow crayon.

ShawnP

Good name for any bridge or interchange in the Bloomington area.

This gentleman was from the Bloomington area.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/citations_1940_wwii/kisters.html

Henry

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 22, 2012, 08:29:55 PM
Quote from: mukade on October 21, 2012, 06:05:43 PM

A bouncy castle on an interstate highway?  Now I've seen everything.  :-D
Maybe they're experimenting with new crash barriers!  :biggrin:
That is so funny, I can't control it  :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mukade

Quote from: mukade on October 23, 2012, 08:10:02 PM

As quickly as it came to Google Maps yesterday, I-69 in southern Indiana is gone today.

IndyAgent

I am curious why it takes 2 years to complete 36 miles from Crane to 37 when they finished 70 miles from Evansville to Crane in 2 years

sd72667

Quote from: IndyAgent on October 25, 2012, 05:13:27 PM
I am curious why it takes 2 years to complete 36 miles from Crane to 37 when they finished 70 miles from Evansville to Crane in 2 years
I'm guessing less bridges, overpasses to build.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.