News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

A dry summer also helped speed things along.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

Quote from: Captain Jack on November 23, 2012, 10:46:00 PM
Quote from: theline on November 23, 2012, 03:14:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2012, 12:33:06 PM
Quote from: theline on November 21, 2012, 03:17:53 PM
My daughter made it back to South Bend from Evansville, but she didn't try I-69. I'm just as glad she didn't, since she was driving at night. The chance of breaking down in the middle of nowhere at night makes a dad worry, no matter how mature and self-sufficient she is.   :paranoid:

What route did she take?

FWIW, there seems to be ample cell phone service in that area along the parallel routes (IN 57 and US 231) so a breakdown on I-69 shouldn't be an issue in terms of summoning help.

I appreciate the thoughts, hbelkins. I'll let her know. She took the usual US-41 & I-70 route, and probably the same route back on Sunday. I think she'll take the new road at Christmas time. She was a bit concerned about her GPS not knowing where she was on I-69. My navigation gene was definitely not passed on to her. I think I've convinced her that she can just follow I-69 to the end and then turn on the GPS to get her to SB next time.

I understand the parental concerns as I have a college age daughter as well. I have driven every road between Evansville and Bloomington for years, yet, I was even a little confused coming back after dark on Tuesday. I wouldn't worry about services, she will be fine with that, but I would be a little concerned about her on the 25 miles of twisties from Bloomington to Crane if she is driving after dark.
I had actually recommended her taking US-231 north to I-70, to avoid the nasty terrain. That route looks to be 8 miles farther, according to Google maps. What's the recommendation of those who know those roads? I'll eventually try both, but not for a few months.

tvketchum

Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2012, 01:40:33 PM
A dry summer also helped speed things along.

Although Indiana had severe drought as well, and water for the concrete was an issue in July. When I took a trip this Saturday to Evansville on the new road, I got to thinking about the asphalt sections versus concrete, and surmised if the water shortage didn't play a direct role in using asphalt, the calendar did. With the opening looming, the asphalt could go down a lot quicker than moving the concrete paving equipment to the multiple spots, letting it cure and then saw in the expansion and control joints.

Other observations and musings: The right of way fencing is a work in progress in spots near the southern end. It was nice riding on a road with no potholes. Only one billboard is up on the the new section, near Crane, and it looked like a guy with a backhoe was digging a hole for a foundation for another. It seemed like 20 dead racoons were on the road, and one squirrel, who were not notified  of the opening. No service signs yet, for gas, food or lodging.

tvketchum

I had actually recommended her taking US-231 north to I-70, to avoid the nasty terrain. That route looks to be 8 miles farther, according to Google maps. What's the recommendation of those who know those roads? I'll eventually try both, but not for a few months.
[/quote]

US 231 is the better choice. Fewer twists in the route itself, but it does turn at intersections more. US 231 also goes through more towns with services. North of Spencer, one could use SR 67 to Indy as an alternate. From Martinsville to Indy it is an expressway, but has more traffic lights from Mooresville to Indy than would US 231 near I 70.  Far more services would be available on SR 67  than US 231

mukade

In addition to the detour back west, US 231 goes through Bloomfield, Spencer, and Cloverdale. If I remember right, it is windy around Spencer.

SR 45 is not too bad. There is congestion by the Walmart at SR 37, but otherwise they have improved several intersections which helps traffic flow. The bad times of the day are when commuters living in Bloomington and working at Crane are on the road.

As for the most safe, it could be I-69 to US 231 (south) to SR 58 (east) to SR 37 (north), but that would not be the shortest. It does avoid towns and is not very windy.

theline

tvketchum

Quote from: mukade on November 25, 2012, 11:52:25 AM
In addition to the detour back west, US 231 goes through Bloomfield, Spencer, and Cloverdale. If I remember right, it is windy around Spencer.

SR 45 is not too bad. There is congestion by the Walmart at SR 37, but otherwise they have improved several intersections which helps traffic flow. The bad times of the day are when commuters living in Bloomington and working at Crane are on the road.

As for the most safe, it could be I-69 to US 231 (south) to SR 58 (east) to SR 37 (north), but that would not be the shortest. It does avoid towns and is not very windy.

Yes, US 231 does have it winding moments. The grades and hills do have passing lanes, which helps travel times. SR 45 does not.

mukade

Quote from: tvketchum on November 25, 2012, 07:39:41 PM

Yes, US 231 does have it winding moments. The grades and hills do have passing lanes, which helps travel times. SR 45 does not.

Agreed, it does not, but there are no steep hills on SR 45 either.

On another I-69 topic....

There are two bridges on the new highway named for local war heroes. I noticed signs for these bridges when I went down and took a picture of one. They have brown backgrounds. Is that the correct color for such signs? I first noticed such signs along I-465 which was named the USS Indianapolis Memorial Highway.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on November 25, 2012, 08:16:33 PM
Quote from: tvketchum on November 25, 2012, 07:39:41 PM

Agreed, it does not, but there are no steep hills on SR 45 either.

On another I-69 topic....

There are two bridges on the new highway named for local war heroes. I noticed signs for these bridges when I went down and took a picture of one. They have brown backgrounds. Is that the correct color for such signs? I first noticed such signs along I-465 which was named the USS Indianapolis Memorial Highway.

It shouldn't be brown, but I've seen green and blue of signs like that, I don't know what color is right.

mukade

Quote from: mukade on November 25, 2012, 08:16:33 PM

FWIW, according to page 339 of the 2009 MUCTD, brown is the correct background color.

ShawnP

A week late but got to drive the new section today. As others have said there is still work going on. I saw work on guard rails and drainage. Did notice one thing around MM 80 as some one has already "tagged" a overpass. Ok either I was asleep at the wheel but where did the planned rest area go? Did I miss it getting cut out?

SW Indiana

Quote from: ShawnP on November 26, 2012, 04:47:08 PM
A week late but got to drive the new section today. As others have said there is still work going on. I saw work on guard rails and drainage. Did notice one thing around MM 80 as some one has already "tagged" a overpass. Ok either I was asleep at the wheel but where did the planned rest area go? Did I miss it getting cut out?

The rest area was cut out. It was supposed to go somewhere between Washington and the SR 58 exit. If I remember correctly, I think the state went ahead and purchased the right-away though. 

ShawnP

Thanks.......didn't remember it getting cut. I do remember it was going to be a unique one with dual access from both north and south bound traffic. I did see one billboard a week after the road opened. Overall it was a rare treat that probably will never happen in my lifetime again. 

theline

Just wondering: how long until Google driving directions take into account the new road? I entered a route from Evansville to Crane, and it routed me on the old roads. I wasn't surprised.

ShawnP

Didn't see any services signs but that can be anticipated. So if you are road geeking it make your filled up. Found a gas station at the US-231 exit by Crane but it's a total chitpit.

tdindy88

That particular station wasn't designed to be a gas station for an interstate though, just a country crossroads. In any case, you aren't going to find a Pilot or anything of that standard on this corridor, yet. As for me, I did have to make one pit stop, in Petersburg where I just went north into town and went to a gas station along SR 57 just south of downtown. Heading back to SR 56/61, it was interesting to see the I-69 exit there while still in the Petersburg city limits. I'm kind of surprised that with all the excitement that Washington has over the new interstate they didn't build a gas station already, I mean they did know where the highway was going to go, why not build it now?

Speaking of Pike and Daviess Counties, I collect various county and city maps from the local chamber of commerce in those communities. I have a Petersburg/Pike County one that features the proposed I-69 corridor (with four exits in the county instead of the one that now exists) and that map was made in 2004. I got a Washington/Daviess County one earlier this year that was dated 2011 and guess what...no mention of I-69 at all. Not bad for a community trying to sell themselves as having interstate access. To their credit, the Princeton/Gibson County map has no mention of the highway nor does the Greene County map (which is an actual county map from the government.) On one final note, a new tourist map of Greene County does feature the highway, so good for them.

IndyAgent

With the 13 mile gap between SR64 and SR56

The 16 mile gap between SR56 and US 50

and the 14 mile gap between US 50 and SR 58

and finally the 11 mile gap between SR 58 and US 231

there is a pretty wide gap between exits and i am sure you will see a rest area between one of those gaps but what possible exits do you see in the future to make the distance less between exits

There are no cities to speak of between those gaps and it seems like they could make an exit to 57 between 61 and 50 at County road 450 South could connect 57 to 257 and the Glendale State Fish and Wildlife Area at Dog Wood Lake

What future exits if any do you fine folks think might be created?

mukade

Two other interchanges were planned, but postponed. I think one is north of Petersburg to service the IPL power plant and the other is north of Washington. If I remember correctly, the state bought the land for both. To be honest, I didn't look for these when I checked out the road last week.

IndyAgent

do we know the exit numbers for section 4
from what i can see its only 3 exits

SR 45. 54 and 37

hbelkins

Quote from: ShawnP on November 27, 2012, 10:03:36 AM
Didn't see any services signs but that can be anticipated. So if you are road geeking it make your filled up. Found a gas station at the US-231 exit by Crane but it's a total chitpit.

Odon isn't too far off the interstate, and it has two regional chain convenience stores. There's a Casey's and one other that I can't remember the name of. A Huck's, maybe?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mukade

Quote from: IndyAgent on November 27, 2012, 10:54:35 PM
do we know the exit numbers for section 5

from what i can see its only 3 exits

SR 45. 54 and 37

That is section 4. The exits are at SR 45 (98), SR 445 (104) and SR 37 (114).

IndyAgent

Thanks, where did find that information

mukade

That URL apparently has the information, but I got it from the INDOT online plans at https://netservices.indot.in.gov/ViewDocs2.0/.

theline

^ The link doesn't work. Can we get a correction, please?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.