Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefro

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2013/02/23/news.indot-seeks-local-ok-to-start-i-69-work-along-ind-37.sto

It's behind a paywall now at the Bloomington Herald Times, but INDOT is seeking approval from the Bloomington/Monroe County Metropolitan Planning Organization to start construction on upgrading SR 37 through Bloomington in 2014.  They will be spending $400k on design/right of way acqusition in 2013, and $20 million on construction in  both 2014 & 2015 and $27.6 million in right-of-away acquisition.  Construction is going to take place from where I-69 joins SR 37 to Kinser Pike, which is listed as the 5A to 5C segments on the DEIS.  It's around 9 miles in length.

Total money spent from 2013-2015 is estimated at $77.7 million.  No work is going to start north of Kinser Pike until after 2015.  It says the work north of Kinser Pike in the MPO's reigion is supposed to cost $82.9 million, but I think that's incorrect based on the last DEIS and most of that money would probably be going towards finishing section 5A-5C (which were estimated in the DEIS as costing $194 million and may end up 10-20 million less if Bloomington lets them take a strip of the Mountain Bike Park).

The HT article also says all of section 5 will cost $394 million when the last DEIS said $500 to $545 million earlier.  Maybe they got some new numbers from INDOT?

Appears INDOT has made this a priority and already budgeted the money out of their federal transportation dollars (and state budget).

Josh Demond (director of MPO) is quoted saying they want to make improvements to SR 37 before I-69 connects to the road.  Priorities would be the Tapp Road & the Vernal Pike/17th street overpass, along with the other intersections.  They are going to vote on April 12 on whether to approve the plan.

Here is the copy of the proposed TIP amendment on MPO's website.

http://bloomington.in.gov/media/media/application/pdf/13853.pdf

tdindy88

Sadly I can't get to the Herald Times, but was there any indication that they were going to build it as it states in the DEIS with six-lanes and interchanges at Fullerton and Tapp along with the bridges at the other locations?

thefro

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 23, 2013, 03:15:17 PM
Sadly I can't get to the Herald Times, but was there any indication that they were going to build it as it states in the DEIS with six-lanes and interchanges at Fullerton and Tapp along with the bridges at the other locations?

There was no information on what was exactly going to get built in what order, just that the MPO would like Vernal Pike & Tapp Road done first and that there would be no work north of Kinser Pike until after 2015. I would assume that they're not going to make any radical changes from their preferred alternative in the DEIS at this point.  My guess is the $77 million would include funding for 1-3 and 7, and maybe parts of 4-6 from this construction sequencing from the DEIS.

Will Wingfield from INDOT is quoted in the article saying they need approval first from the MPO before the FEIS and ROD can be issued.

thefro

Yet another lawsuit trying to stop construction (although this would only stop it temporarily and make them issue another FEIS/ROD)

QuoteOpponents of the Interstate 69 highway extension say highway officials used outdated air emissions data in demonstrating that part of the highway now under construction complies with the Clean Air Act.

Highway opponents say state and federal officials used 2004 vehicular emissions data for Greene County in an environmental report to show that emissions were within required limits, even though newer data from 2009 showed higher estimated emissions levels.

Attorney Mick Harrison represents the opponents in their federal lawsuit accusing officials of violating several federal laws in the design, planning and construction of the half-completed 142-mile highway.

Harrison tells the Herald-Times he plans to file a motion seeking to halt work on a 27-mile section of the Evansville-to-Indianapolis highway now being built from the Crane area to Bloomington.

thefro

http://www.ibj.com/environmental-groups-lob-new-suit-at-i-69-work/PARAMS/article/39885

And CARR files another lawsuit too

QuoteAn Indiana environmental group once again is attempting to stop construction of the Interstate 69 extension between Evansville and Indianapolis by filing suit in federal court.

The Hoosier Environmental Council and Citizens for Appropriate Rural Roads brought their complaint Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis seeking to overturn a permit the Army Corps of Engineers issued for the $3 billion project.

The groups say the agency failed to comply with a section of the Clean Water Act because it approved a permit to discharge about 225,000 cubic yards of fill material into wetlands and streams in Greene and Monroe counties without considering less-damaging alternatives.

"In its own rules, the Corps has determined that 'most wetlands constitute a productive and valuable resource, the unnecessary alteration or destruction of which should be discouraged as contrary to the public interest,'"  the environmental groups argue in their suit.

A spokeswoman for the Louisville division of the Army Corps of Engineers said the agency is aware of the lawsuit but cannot comment on pending litigation.

The complaint targets what's known as Section 4 of I-69, which extends 26 miles from the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center to Bloomington. Construction on the stretch is under way and should be finished by the end of 2014 at an estimated cost of at least $532 million.

The portion of roadway will cross 18 waterways, affecting about 88,000 linear feet of water and filling more than 9 acres of wetlands, the groups argue.

The odds of halting work on the new terrain route appear long, however. Three sections of I-69 extending from Evansville to Crane already are finished.

ARMOURERERIC

Please tell me that at some point the federal judge has the authority to make CARR pay the states legal bills.

US 41

Bloomington is run by a bunch of IU idiots. (I'm not joking.) They want to fight something just to fight it. Once I 69 goes through Bloomington everyone there will fall in love with it.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Anthony_JK

Quote from: thefro on February 27, 2013, 11:18:04 PM
http://www.ibj.com/environmental-groups-lob-new-suit-at-i-69-work/PARAMS/article/39885

QuoteAn Indiana environmental group once again is attempting to stop construction of the Interstate 69 extension between Evansville and Indianapolis by filing suit in federal court.

The Hoosier Environmental Council and Citizens for Appropriate Rural Roads brought their complaint Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis seeking to overturn a permit the Army Corps of Engineers issued for the $3 billion project.

The groups say the agency failed to comply with a section of the Clean Water Act because it approved a permit to discharge about 225,000 cubic yards of fill material into wetlands and streams in Greene and Monroe counties without considering less-damaging alternatives.

"In its own rules, the Corps has determined that 'most wetlands constitute a productive and valuable resource, the unnecessary alteration or destruction of which should be discouraged as contrary to the public interest,'"  the environmental groups argue in their suit.

A spokeswoman for the Louisville division of the Army Corps of Engineers said the agency is aware of the lawsuit but cannot comment on pending litigation.

The complaint targets what's known as Section 4 of I-69, which extends 26 miles from the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center to Bloomington. Construction on the stretch is under way and should be finished by the end of 2014 at an estimated cost of at least $532 million.

The portion of roadway will cross 18 waterways, affecting about 88,000 linear feet of water and filling more than 9 acres of wetlands, the groups argue.

The odds of halting work on the new terrain route appear long, however. Three sections of I-69 extending from Evansville to Crane already are finished.

I mean, what do they think they are going to accomplish with this??? Re-route I-69 on US 41 and I-70?? Downgrade the finished portions of I-69 to a 4-lane expressway and call it IN 37?? Or, just stall it to death and convert it into a high-speed rail corridor.

I sympathize with those who want to protect sensitive environmental areas, but this is getting farcical now.  Seriously.

trafficsignal

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 28, 2013, 09:44:31 AM

"In its own rules, the Corps has determined that 'most wetlands constitute a productive and valuable resource, the unnecessary alteration or destruction of which should be discouraged as contrary to the public interest,'” the environmental groups argue in their suit.

I mean, what do they think they are going to accomplish with this??? Re-route I-69 on US 41 and I-70?? Downgrade the finished portions of I-69 to a 4-lane expressway and call it IN 37?? Or, just stall it to death and convert it into a high-speed rail corridor.

I sympathize with those who want to protect sensitive environmental areas, but this is getting farcical now.  Seriously.

I just drove by this section on Tuesday.  From the (future) overpass on SR 45, it appears only tree clearing has been completed, and no fill has been placed, at least in the vicinity of SR 45.  Perhaps the goal is to limit the I-69 project to its current limits (US 231 area), but I agree it seems like a good way for lawyers to make some money since it is highly unlikely to be a successful case.

Alex

Just posted this photo to the I-69 Indiana guide showing Indiana 45 north at future Interstate 69 south of Cincinnati. Photo by Jeff. R on February 18, 2013.

theline

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 28, 2013, 09:44:31 AM

I had some sympathy with the CARR folks, especially after reading Matt Dellinger's excellent book. I thought in balance they were wrong, but I understood that reasonable people could object to the road with reasonable arguments.

It's surely to the point now that they should see the handwriting on the wall. It has become obstructionism just for the sake of obstructionism. The road will be built, and it's just become a punitive contest to see how much they can cost the state (and us taxpayers). I hope the state does ask for costs, though they probably won't get it.

tdindy88

Quote from: US 41 on February 28, 2013, 08:14:37 AM
Bloomington is run by a bunch of IU idiots. (I'm not joking.) They want to fight something just to fight it. Once I 69 goes through Bloomington everyone there will fall in love with it.

Please note however that not everyone in B-Town hates the new highway. Plenty of people there are happy that it will be built and await a quicker route toward Evansville and north to Indianapolis. You just hear about this vocal minority that continues to protest the project because it promotes conflict and conflict sells news stories a lot better than cooperation. Economically, Bloomington probably stands to gain the most from the highway connection, while communities like Washington and Petersburg can only hope that they will be able to grow from the new highway, Bloomington already has the development and growth to improve itself with this interstate connection, and there ARE people in Bloomington who realize this.

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 28, 2013, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: US 41 on February 28, 2013, 08:14:37 AM

Please note however that not everyone in B-Town hates the new highway. Plenty of people there are happy that it will be built and await a quicker route toward Evansville and north to Indianapolis. You just hear about this vocal minority that continues to protest the project because it promotes conflict and conflict sells news stories a lot better than cooperation. Economically, Bloomington probably stands to gain the most from the highway connection, while communities like Washington and Petersburg can only hope that they will be able to grow from the new highway, Bloomington already has the development and growth to improve itself with this interstate connection, and there ARE people in Bloomington who realize this.

I know I'm just talking about the (IU) politicians that want to fight everything. Most of the people probably either want it or don't care if it comes through. I drove on Country Club Road however and there was a sign in someone's yard that said Stop I-69.

theline

I think tdindy is right that there are plenty of folks (probably the majority) in B-town that realize the value of the road. They just have no motivation to be vocal, because they realize the inevitability of its construction. The obstructionists, on the other hand, know that they have to squawk as loudly as possible to have any chance to stop it.

theline

INDOT is asking that the Bloomington/Monroe County Metropolitan Planning Organization amend its Transportation Improvement Program to include Section 5 of I-69. Details are
on the buildi69.com website

QuoteINDOT hopes to begin safety improvements to existing Highway 37 in late 2013. In order to maintain that schedule and allow safety upgrades to be completed prior to completion of Section 4, it is essential that MPO members vote to approve the inclusion of Section 5 in the TIP amendment, ensuring funds from Federal Highway Administration.

They are requesting supporters to attend the MPO meeting Friday, April 12, at 1:30 pm in Bloomington City Hall.

truejd

Some cool news.  I noticed yesterday that the street views are now available on google maps for the completed portion of I-69 in southwestern Indiana.

US 41

Quote from: truejd on March 07, 2013, 09:01:02 AM
Some cool news.  I noticed yesterday that the street views are now available on google maps for the completed portion of I-69 in southwestern Indiana.

Cool, I'll have to check that out.

thefro

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/i69-construction-begins-tokarski-property-46314/

I-69 construction has started on the CARR founders' property

QuotePlans to connect Indianapolis to Evansville via Interstate 69 have been in the works for decades. In 2002, Tom and Sandra Tokarski organized a group of South Central Indiana residents to fight a plan to build the road on new terrain. Their group, Citizens for Appropriate Rural Roads, or CARR, has been the forefront opposition to then Governor Mitch Daniels' plan to construct the highway.

Now, less than five years after the highway broke ground in Evansville, construction has begun on the Tokarski's property.

"It tears your heart out. This is everything we have worked our whole life for,"  he says. "We have lived here for decades, this is what we believed in, this is what we wanted to preserve, it was our legacy for the future, for our children, and our grandchildren. It's all being obliterated for I-69."

The Tokarskis plan to move before the highway is complete. Thomas is a self proclaimed environmentalist.

"We have preserved our woods in a way, we have tried to control erosion, we have let the trees grow, we have let the wildlife live here. We never intended to cut this timber, we were going to let it grow, we consider this a living work of art,"  he says.

While we visited the Tokarski's property Friday, workers who were there clearing trees tried to block the WFIU/WTIU News crew from filming the construction.

Captain Jack

It's funny how they have no video of these supposed workers trying to stop them. If anything, the workers were probably trying to keep them out of a construction site for safety. Media with an agenda at it's finest.

As for Tom, I understand it's tough to lose your property, but this fight has been on too long now. The inevitable is here now, stop the wasteful attempts.  I need to find out where this is, so I can honk and wave as I drive by.

ShawnP

I would see TT as more honest if he refused to cash INDOT's check for his property.

He probably won't do that.

tdindy88

I think I've mentioned this further up, but I wonder if CARR would have been founded if Tom's property wasn't threatened by I-69's construction. Was the founding of CARR something out of his actual love for the enviroment, or self-preservation?

ARMOURERERIC

Tom,

Keep your remaining property, I am sure your kids will be happy to deal with Day's Inn, McDonalds et al when you are long gone.

hbelkins

Would serve him right if he doesn't own property where an exit will be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

I usually find that these 'environmentalist' types are supremely hypocritical, in that they live on (so called) 'pristine' property that is far out from where they work and do everything else and drive the heaviest sooves to travel between them.

I recall back in the early-mid 1990s, while I was idly browsing the magazine racks at the Appleton Pvblic Library one afternoon, I found a copy of one of those enviro-whacko journals, picked it up from the rack, opened it and right there on the inside of the front cover was a multi-page foldout ad for the biggest soove on the market at that time.

:-D

Mike

vtk

This guy doesn't seem to get the big picture. All that matters is his own private nature preserve, and a highway totally inappropriate for such a setting is going to obliterate it.

The reality, Mr Tokarski, is that I-69 is perfectly appropriate for Indiana and the Midwest at large, and there is still plenty more natural space.  Your backyard was not the only pristine chunk of land in southern Indiana. Focus your conservation efforts at local planning and zoning policies towards land development, not highways.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.