News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 04:26:33 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 16, 2021, 04:23:49 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 04:19:57 PM

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 16, 2021, 04:08:14 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 04:03:11 PM
I'm taking Advil in advance of my second shot later today.  Has anyone else done this?  (I got the idea from my mom, who is a retired nurse.)

I just read on CNN that that's not recommended, but taking it after is fine.  Take that for what it's worth.

Did it say why?

Was trying to find the article, but it's escaping me.  I'll keep digging.  Basically since they said the vaccine's effects hadn't been studied with those medications in your system. 

pffft.  When the person giving me the shot says it's OK to take Tylenol to help with the discomfort...

Meanwhile, a family friend of ours asked the person administering the shot if it was OK to take Advil. They said stay away from Advil, but Tylenol should be OK if needed.  :crazy:

kphoger

Yeah, well, Tylenol doesn't do squat for me in general.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Having read that NSAIDs dampen the vaccine-induced immune response, I decided I simply wouldn't take any unless I was really desperate, and I ended up not needing them.

Similarly, I hardly ever use aspirin as a febrifuge--I just sweat it out.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Zeffy

Day 4, I had some sort of migraine that manifested into panic attacks because I overthink everything. I don't know if the vax had anything to do with the migraine, but I still don't feel totally right.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kphoger

Quote from: Zeffy on April 16, 2021, 05:11:21 PM
Day 4, I had some sort of migraine that manifested into panic attacks because I overthink everything. I don't know if the vax had anything to do with the migraine, but I still don't feel totally right.

Mind tricks affect how I feel as well.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Zeffy

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 05:20:33 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on April 16, 2021, 05:11:21 PM

Mind tricks affect how I feel as well.

Oh I know this all too well. Living with panic disorder means I have to acquaint myself with panic attacks far too frequently.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Max Rockatansky

Considering how much chaos has taken place today at work it would have been amusing to have not felt well and called out today.  Truth be told it was a little annoying how many people were convinced I was not going to feel good after a second shot and how inclined they felt to tell me.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2021, 05:42:44 PM
Considering how much chaos has taken place today at work it would have been amusing to have not felt well and called out today.  Truth be told it was a little annoying how many people were convinced I was not going to feel good after a second shot and how inclined they felt to tell me.

I was convinced I would feel 100% fine since I rarely, if ever, get sick.  My wife always gets sick and didn't have any side effects at all.  Of course that's why I was down for the count yesterday.  Thankfully it was a slow day at work.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 16, 2021, 05:47:13 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2021, 05:42:44 PM

I was convinced I would feel 100% fine since I rarely, if ever, get sick.  My wife always gets sick and didn't have any side effects at all.  Of course that's why I was down for the count yesterday.  Thankfully it was a slow day at work.

Chris

I really wanted that day off too.  I could have done a podcast and at least one highway article.  Really if I was thinking straight I would have just used vacation time since I have so much of it.

Duke87

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2021, 12:32:08 AM
I've never had a vaccination of any kind that gave me more than a sore arm.

I had a TDaP shot once that had me in bed with fever/chills a few hours later (which was around dinnertime), and I ended up just staying in bed through the night at that point. But then I woke up the next morning and felt totally normal.

I have had another TDaP shot since (you're supposed to get one every 10 years) that produced no side effects whatsoever. So... not always consistent even within the individual.

But yeah, Pfizer dose 1 had my arm sore for about 36 hours. Otherwise NBD.

pffft.  When the person giving me the shot says it's OK to take Tylenol to help with the discomfort...

The nurse who gave me mine said that I could take OTC pain meds IF things got bad, but not to do so proactively. This seems to be in line with what the CDC is saying.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Duke87 on April 16, 2021, 08:25:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2021, 12:32:08 AM
I've never had a vaccination of any kind that gave me more than a sore arm.

I had a TDaP shot once that had me in bed with fever/chills a few hours later (which was around dinnertime), and I ended up just staying in bed through the night at that point. But then I woke up the next morning and felt totally normal.

I have had another TDaP shot since (you're supposed to get one every 10 years) that produced no side effects whatsoever. So... not always consistent even within the individual.

But yeah, Pfizer dose 1 had my arm sore for about 36 hours. Otherwise NBD.

What I'm finding strange (I know you already know this from the other chat) is Moderna didn't even give me the same soreness the Pfizer shot did.  That runs totally against the grain of what has been put out there regarding which one tends to affect more people.  I guess it's a total crapshoot on what happens. 

kphoger

Quote from: Duke87 on April 16, 2021, 08:25:19 PM

The nurse who gave me mine said that I could take OTC pain meds IF things got bad, but not to do so proactively. This seems to be in line with what the CDC is saying.

I just got back from getting my second poke and running some deliveries with my wife.  I asked the nurse about Advil while she was filling out my form.  She said, of course, that Tylenol is the recommendation, and that it should be your first choice.  But, she said, Advil is not contra-indicated.  So, absent Tylenol, she said your first course of action should be to take nothing, but Advil is OK as a second choice.  She also mentioned that it is not recommended to take anything proactively.

Actually, I only ended up taking one Advil late this morning, and nothing since then.  I never really take anything proactively to begin with, so it didn't take much of you guys talking about it to get me to decide not to take any more.  But yeah, if I end up feeling miserable later, I'll go for the Advil.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

This sort of question kind of illustrates to me the difference between emergency authorization and full-on approval. If the vaccines were fully tested and authorized, we'd know exactly how they interact with pretty much all common OTC drugs, how long the immunity lasts for, whether it's safe for people with weird edge case conditions, and so on. But because we needed to get something out the door to tame the pandemic, we tested them for basic safety and efficacy and that's it. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, or that there's enough unknowns about the vaccine for most people to justify not getting it. Just that we made a tradeoff by bypassing the drawn-out bureaucratic approval process, at the cost of not knowing many of the finer details that we do know about more established pharmaceuticals.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

(I have now voted in the poll.)

(Really, it was kind of pointless until now.)
Male pronouns, please.

noelbotevera

First shot done. Second shot May 7th. Right after a physics exam.

I also have to drive an hour and twenty minutes (to York) to get my shots. Pleasant.

webny99

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 16, 2021, 10:54:04 PM
I also have to drive an hour and twenty minutes (to York) to get my shots. Pleasant.

If this wasn't a roads forum, I'd think that was sarcasm.  :-P

noelbotevera

Quote from: webny99 on April 16, 2021, 11:02:43 PM

Sadly, it is sarcasm. York is deep within my explored territory, so going there and back doesn't feel fresh.

TheGrassGuy

Just got my first dose of Pfizer yesterday! :clap: :clap: :clap:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

1995hoo

A colleague who lives in Weehawken is driving to Oneonta today for his second shot–around three hours each way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2021, 02:29:00 PM

A colleague who lives in Weehawken is driving to Oneonta today for his second shot–around three hours each way.

What's up with that?  That's a hell of a long way just to have to likely wait again upon arrival at the vaccination site. 

Rothman

Isn't Weehawken in NJ?  Sounds like they're inappropriately crossing state borders for the vaccine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: webny99 on April 16, 2021, 11:02:43 PM

At least with mine (having to go from Plainsboro to Mt. Laurel, NJ), I got to clinch Burlington CR 637 in the process (due to an accident on 295).

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2021, 02:52:38 PM

What's up with that?  That's a hell of a long way just to have to likely wait again upon arrival at the vaccination site. 

I didn't ask him because he only mentioned it shortly before 5:00 Friday afternoon when it was time to sign off for the weekend. I did suggest he stop at the barbecue place Mapmikey recommended in Oneonta, though.

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2021, 03:53:31 PM

Isn't Weehawken in NJ?  Sounds like they're inappropriately crossing state borders for the vaccine.

He's eligible in New York because of his employment there. No issues at all on that front.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

About 30-something hours hours after my second Pfizer dose, and I've felt no ill effects.

sparker

First shot (end of Feb.0; no ill effects (Pfizer)).  Second shot the 3rd week of March; a bit of a delayed reaction; left side of torso (left arm injection) got a bit red and sensitive about 2 days later.  This persisted for about 2 more days, then went away.  But about a day or so after that my left leg got a rash, which I treated with an ice pack followed by calamine and then lotion, and it went away after about 36 hours.  Not too bad; a friend (who is 74) got physically sick a few hours after receiving his 2nd Pfizer shot and couldn't hold food down for another day or so.  From what I've heard anecdotally, reactions such as those fall under what's deemed "normal" and without cause for concern if it goes away within a few days. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.