News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Alps on April 06, 2021, 07:36:25 PM
(or widen A-50 to 4 lanes)

When the MTQ added the cable median barrier to this section of highway it was purported to be for a three year trial period and the government indicated they planned to four-lane this segment of highway at the end of the three year timeframe.

Given the fact that they installed continuous, permanent illumination along the entire stretch of A-50 that got the high-tension guide-rail it seems unlikely to me that they are going to do anything further than what they have built -- at least in the near term.

It's funny actually, the section of A-50 between Lachute and Mirabel is still striped to allow overtaking slow vehicles in the oncoming lane.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

webfil

Without taking away the tragic and dramatic of deaths on A-50 (every life lost on the roads also means broken survivors, family, friends and loved ones), emotion often trumps reason in the case of the A-50. Crashes get wider media coverage outside metro regions, and that's normal ― and politicians act to ensure the demands of the population, may they be deemed unreasonable, are satisfied.

A-50 is far from being a bad highway, let alone one of the worst roads in Québec. In an equal configuration (2-lane autoroutes), the serious or fatal accident rate on the A-50 is 20-60% lower than the A-955, A-55 and A-30 in Centre-du-Québec. Due to its recent design, with gentle curves and slopes, excellent visibility, mostly graded junctions, long-entry and exit slow-down lanes, wide shoulders, rough strips in the centre and sides plus the newly added cable or concrete medians, it is certainly one of the safest two-lane roads in Quebec. If I recall correctly, a considerable portion of the length between Buckingham and Lachute (a third? a half?) is 2+1 or 2+2. It's not continuous, but it's kinda close to a swedish 2+1.

The most problematic section is Lachute-Mirabel, and it should be a good candidate for 4-laning, with the exponential rise of traffic figures, while Mirabel is gaining commercial and industrial influence and correlatedly Lachute is under the process of economic integration to the Montréal metropolitan area.

Stephane Dumas

Ile-aux-Tourtes bridge is closed due to safety concerns.
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/ile-aux-tourtes-bridge-near-montreal-closed-suddenly-to-ensure-the-safety-of-users-1.5436795
MONTREAL -- Engineers will be closing the Ile-aux-Tourtes bridge imminently because of an unsound structure, Quebec's transport minister announced suddenly on Thursday afternoon.

"Engineers decided to close the bridge for the safety of users," Minister François Bonnardel tweeted at around 3 p.m.

"The teams of [Transport Quebec] are on site. Mitigation measures will be announced shortly. I am following the situation closely," he wrote.

The closure of the two-kilometre structure will cause major traffic headaches, shutting one of two major links between the West Island and the mainland, including Ontario.

During normal times, with fewer people working from home, it is traversed by roughly 83,000 cars every day.

REBAR TOO DAMAGED FOR SAFETY
In a news release, the Ministry of Transport said that "reinforcing rods" in the bridge, or rebar in English, were too damaged to ensure the bridge would be safe.

"As part of the work in progress, the Ministry observed damage to reinforcing rods," it wrote.

"Since the structure could have been weakened by this damage, complete closure is considered the only responsible option to ensure the safety of road users."

While some speculated the earthquake this week may have worsened the bridge's structure, that's not the case, said a spokesperson for Transport.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 20, 2021, 04:41:45 PM
Ile-aux-Tourtes bridge is closed due to safety concerns.

Wow.....major infrastructure!

vdeane

What is it with 2021 and bridge closures forcing traffic onto routes with sub-standard sections that have long-delayed upgrades that were needed eons ago but have yet to be built?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

^ ... on highways numbered 40.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

andrepoiy

At least we won't see another I-35W

vdeane

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 21, 2021, 11:35:38 AM
Oh my, I didn't even think of that... this is eerie!  :wow:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LilianaUwU

And both on the west side of the city, too.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Alps

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 21, 2021, 05:59:00 PM

And both on the west side of the city, too.
And both with a single parallel route of equal status (I-55, A-20) as the only other way out of that side of the city.

MikeTheActuary

This week the Québec Government announced plans for a new river tunnel at Québec City:  https://youtu.be/uMkR5uYxH3g  (in French, but easy enough to follow if you don't know the language).

(I don't think Memphis has an analogue announcement, however.)

andrepoiy

Wonder how long that would take to build...

webfil

MTQ announced this morning the twinning of R-158 between Saint-Alexis and A-31. A new ramp for EB trafic will be built at Chemin Archambault (Crabtree) and a new interchange will be built at R-343 (Saint-Paul). Perhaps the Saint-Esprit―Saint-Alexis portion is included in the A-25 extension programme (which is in fact an at-grade expressway in the autoroute ROW between Saint-Esprit and Rawdon), announced together with a Saint-Lin―Laurentides bypass (R-158 west).

Stephane Dumas

froggie

Looks like in addition to those, several road segments will be repaved and new signals will be added along 112 and at the 104/139 junction, presuming the eastern junction at Gilman Corner since there's already a signal on the west side of Cowansville.

Chris

An 11 kilometer segment of Autoroute 85 recently opened to traffic south of Saint-Antonin: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1803712/troncon-185-85-travaux-saint-antonin-circulation-construction

This reduces the autoroute gap from 40 to 29 kilometers to Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, where the freeway to New Brunswick currently starts.

Stephane Dumas

There's some construction work on Pierre-Laporte bridge between Quebec City and Levis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYv9XHIQj1E

hobsini2

Any recent news on the extension of Highway 35 to I-89? Rand McNally is showing this is under construction in the 2022 Road Atlas.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 09, 2021, 09:38:13 AM
Any recent news on the extension of Highway 35 to I-89? Rand McNally is showing this is under construction in the 2022 Road Atlas.

I am shocked this project has taken so long to complete.  Seems like they started to clear the right-of-way 10 years ago. 

vdeane

Last I heard, section 3 from the most recent extension to the divided highway is under construction.  No idea when the work to remove the at-grades on the divided highway will happen.  I'm wondering if they'll even wait for that to happen to sign A-35 to the border.  That hasn't stopped them elsewhere.  It would still be better than A-20 through Vaudreuil-Dorion and L'ÃŽle-Perrot.

Richard3

Quote from: Chris on June 25, 2021, 02:06:25 PM
An 11 kilometer segment of Autoroute 85 recently opened to traffic south of Saint-Antonin: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1803712/troncon-185-85-travaux-saint-antonin-circulation-construction

This reduces the autoroute gap from 40 to 29 kilometers to Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, where the freeway to New Brunswick currently starts.

Been there last week; they open only one carriageway, but the second one is supposed to be open by the end of the year.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

vdeane

Aparrantly the downgrade of A-720 to QC 136 is now official, per an article posted to TM earlier today.  It also shows as changed on Québec's route map.

Interesting that they only did a straight downgrade on former A-720, and didn't extend it up the corridor that A-20 would have been built on down Rue Notre-Dame, Rue Dickson, and Avenue Souligny.  Major missed opportunity there to make the system a bit more logical (even as they duplicated a number; I'd either have numbered it QC 142 even though it's slightly out of grid or made it re-routed QC 138, though that would more logically continue down Rue Notre-Dame to existing QC 138) and give everyone a silver lining out of a pointless downgrade, given that the route is still a freeway (over 1' of shoulder width when stuff like this is an autoroute?  Come on!).

https://www.turcot.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/nouvelles-multimedia/nouvelles-communiques/nouvelles/Pages/Lautoroute-720-devient-la-route-136.aspx

Richard3

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2021, 09:28:07 PM
Aparrantly the downgrade of A-720 to QC 136 is now official, per an article posted to TM earlier today.  It also shows as changed on Québec's route map.

Interesting that they only did a straight downgrade on former A-720, and didn't extend it up the corridor that A-20 would have been built on down Rue Notre-Dame, Rue Dickson, and Avenue Souligny.  Major missed opportunity there to make the system a bit more logical (even as they duplicated a number; I'd either have numbered it QC 142 even though it's slightly out of grid or made it re-routed QC 138, though that would more logically continue down Rue Notre-Dame to existing QC 138) and give everyone a silver lining out of a pointless downgrade, given that the route is still a freeway (over 1' of shoulder width when stuff like this is an autoroute?  Come on!).

https://www.turcot.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/nouvelles-multimedia/nouvelles-communiques/nouvelles/Pages/Lautoroute-720-devient-la-route-136.aspx

Asking the MTQ to be logical?  Come on!
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Stephane Dumas

At 7:53 in this video from a report of a tv show named "Reflets d'un pays" who was aired on SRC/French CBC originally in August 1981. They show a view of the former bridge on PQ-117 of the former bridge on the Kinojévis River near Rouyn-Noranda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwZNUNUDBk

Here one more vintage photo of that former bridge. https://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine/details/52327/3021761

And the current one who replaced the old bridge where PQ-117 use the current alignement. It was built somewhere during the mid-1980s.
https://zoomauvert.blogspot.com/2017/10/pont-kinojevis-route-117-mcwatters.html

Stephane Dumas

Works had begin on the twin viaduct of PQ-139 over A-10. https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/pont-choiniere-reamenagement-echangeur-autoroute-1.aspx

They mentionned that interchange will be reconfigurated. Too bad they didn't show some plans online. The inner cloverleaf who was built back when it was a toll road is outdated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.