News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: ixnay on August 16, 2018, 09:35:16 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 16, 2018, 12:43:10 PMWhen Dukakis became governor again in 1983; planning for the tunneled Artery resumed, this time including a re-aligned Third Harbor Tunnel (that became the Ted Williams Tunnel when it initially opened to commercial traffic circa 1995).  Funding to build such didn't happen until 1987 when a highway bill containing such passed via an over-ride of a Presidential veto and the rest is history.

And not just funding for the tunneled Artery, but the raising of the speed limit on rural Interstates to 65 mph IIRC.  Also IIRC, the bill was overridden in the Senate with exactly the 67 votes needed, and only because Terry Sanford (D-NC) changed his mind and voted to override.  (All I remember about the bill was the speed limit rising and Reagan calling it a "budget buster" as he vetoed it.  I didn't know that the Big Dig was included until I saw a Modern Marvels ep about the project years later.)

I always called that vote "the 65 mph override".

ixnay
I'm well aware of that part of the bill too (I first received my driver's license five years prior).  The only reason why I didn't mention such was due to it not being relevant to this already OT-tangent.  The increase was added to the bill as a means to persuade President Reagan to sign it.  He wouldn't bite; his reasoning for his veto was indeed the (excessive) amount of money being allocated to one project (Boston's Big Dig).
Quote from: Alps on August 16, 2018, 11:41:24 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 16, 2018, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 16, 2018, 04:11:33 PM...the original question of which project has taken the longest. (I-287 in northern NJ might win that one for example.)
Looking through a couple of websites; the short piece of I-295 in NJ between Exits 57 (US 130) & 60 (I-195/NJ 29) was completed December of 1994 whereas I-287 was completed August of that same year.
Well the question is, when did they first start designing the gap completion in I-295? I-287 was pretty much set in stone from the late 60s - designed and everything.
Guess on my part, probably when the rest of I-295 in NJ was designed & planned.  The likely reason for that leg being the last to be completed was due to it going through what was later viewed as an environmentally sensitive area coupled with increased regulations & permitting.  While the road corridor & interchanges themselves likely didn't change too much in terms of design & layout over the decades; the adjacent areas alongside did in terms of environmental mitigation & remediation efforts.

In an effort to steer the thread back on topic; according to this article, the interchange is slated to be open on Sept. 24.

Quote from: Bloomberg ArticleThe Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which oversees the I-95 Interchange Project, said the new infrastructure–which includes the creation of flyover ramps, toll plaza facilities, environmental mitigation sites, intersections, six overhead bridges, widened highways and new connections to the New Jersey and Pennsylvania turnpikes–will be open to the public by Sept. 24.

Here's a similar article from a more local source.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 21, 2018, 12:14:22 PM
Well the question is, when did they first start designing the gap completion in I-295? I-287 was pretty much set in stone from the late 60s - designed and everything.
Guess on my part, probably when the rest of I-295 in NJ was designed & planned.  The likely reason for that leg being the last to be completed was due to it going through what was later viewed as an environmentally sensitive area coupled with increased regulations & permitting.  While the road corridor & interchanges themselves likely didn't change too much in terms of design & layout over the decades; the adjacent areas alongside did in terms of environmental mitigation & remediation efforts.

The unbuilt segments of I-295, I-195 and NJ-29, about 4 miles, 3 miles and 4 miles respectively, and their connection interchange, were collectively called the Trenton Complex by the project engineers.  Delays due to environmental issues as you said, plus the design issues to provide an adequate traffic capacity and connections.

I think that the I-295 alignment planned from the 1970s changed little or not at all, but the long bridge thru wetlands along the river was a later design, as in the 1970s they probably would have built it on fill embankment.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on August 21, 2018, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 21, 2018, 12:14:22 PM

The unbuilt segments of I-295, I-195 and NJ-29, about 4 miles, 3 miles and 4 miles respectively, and their connection interchange, were collectively called the Trenton Complex by the project engineers.  Delays due to environmental issues as you said, plus the design issues to provide an adequate traffic capacity and connections.

I think that the I-295 alignment planned from the 1970s changed little or not at all, but the long bridge thru wetlands along the river was a later design, as in the 1970s they probably would have built it on fill embankment.

In the state library I recalled seeing plans for the 295/195/29 interchange as originally designed in the 1960's.  You're right - those plans from back then were still basically the same plans used when they actually built the interchange.  It was actually a bit interesting, as back in the 60's I-95 was still on the books, and in the late 80's/early 90's it wasn't.  Yet, they still built the connections to/from 295 and 195 as 1 lane ramps, even though traffic patterns no doubt differed from what was originally envisioned.

Also, without the interchange, there was a 2 lane connector between 195 and 295, which eventually became the 1 lane ramp from 195 West to 295 North.  I wished they kept the pavement down and made this ramp 2 lanes as traffic volumes seem to warrant such at times.

Roadsguy

I got a response from i95link.com, and they reached out to PennDOT and confirmed that they will be updating their internal designation of the Turnpike east of the interchange to SR 7095.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

theroadwayone

One month till I-95 is one continuous highway, but who's counting?

Roadsguy

Is there a time of day set for the opening, or just the day itself?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

akotchi

A quick update (no photos yet):

The I-95/PA 413 interchange is now Exit 39 from I-95 northbound (was Exit 40).  Along what is now I-295 westbound, the exit number still says 40, but there are other overhead signs that are covered that look like they refer to the same exit.  I wonder if they will carry the I-95 exit (39) or be I-295 Exit 1, since the proposed ramp exits prior to the I-95 merge.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

theroadwayone

I Street Viewed the interchange, and there's an "Exit 40" tab with an obviously covered up "Exit 39." Also, it shows Trenton as I-95's NB control city with some things covered up. (The image is from September of last year.)

I also found new (from April of this year) SV pictures of the US 13 interchange on the turnpike. There's plenty of covered-up signage, but I can't spot the "Exit 358" tabs covering up what should obviously be "Exit 42" tabs.

Roadsguy

Quote from: theroadwayone on August 29, 2018, 01:11:08 AM
I Street Viewed the interchange, and there's an "Exit 40" tab with an obviously covered up "Exit 39." Also, it shows Trenton as I-95's NB control city with some things covered up. (The image is from September of last year.)

I also found new (from April of this year) SV pictures of the US 13 interchange on the turnpike. There's plenty of covered-up signage, but I can't spot the "Exit 358" tabs covering up what should obviously be "Exit 42" tabs.

Where's the signs with covered Exit 39? All I see from the most recent NB Street View are the newish (from around 2012) Clearview signs that don't seem to have been designed for the new interchange at all.

akotchi

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 29, 2018, 08:22:24 AM

Where's the signs with covered Exit 39? All I see from the most recent NB Street View are the newish (from around 2012) Clearview signs that don't seem to have been designed for the new interchange at all.

I do now have a photo to offer, which was taken late last week.  The existing signs (in front) have been taken down -- the covered portion at the bottom of the right panel was an "Exit Only" banner, which has not applied during construction.  Looks like the new sign will still advise of an Exit Only situation, as yellow showed through when I passed under it on a windier day.

Any exit number overlays on existing signs in this sequence on StreetView from that era would have covered the original exit number 26.  The downstream supplemental guide sign for the Turnpike (which I did not photograph) has also now been overlaid with Exit 39 -- this happened since last Friday.

As for the Exit 358 signs, on my last few trips that way, I could not tell that the exit numbers are overlaid, but it would not surprise me if they were.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on August 29, 2018, 10:06:40 AMI do now have a photo to offer, which was taken late last week.  The existing signs (in front) have been taken down -- the covered portion at the bottom of the right panel was an "Exit Only" banner, which has not applied during construction.  Looks like the new sign will still advise of an Exit Only situation, as yellow showed through when I passed under it on a windier day.

Any exit number overlays on existing signs in this sequence on StreetView from that era would have covered the original exit number 26.
I'm more curious to know what the legend for the covered BGS on the left is.  Given its close proximity to the new interchange (new Exit 40), one has to wonder if a TO 295 legend is included.  Had all the ramp to I-276 westbound been built; the through-BGS could've included an I-276 shield as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 29, 2018, 11:25:10 AM
Quote from: akotchi on August 29, 2018, 10:06:40 AMI do now have a photo to offer, which was taken late last week.  The existing signs (in front) have been taken down -- the covered portion at the bottom of the right panel was an "Exit Only" banner, which has not applied during construction.  Looks like the new sign will still advise of an Exit Only situation, as yellow showed through when I passed under it on a windier day.

Any exit number overlays on existing signs in this sequence on StreetView from that era would have covered the original exit number 26.
I'm more curious to know what the legend for the covered BGS on the left is.  Given its close proximity to the new interchange (new Exit 40), one has to wonder if a TO 295 legend is included.  Had all the ramp to I-276 westbound been built; the through-BGS could've included an I-276 shield as well.

I would think it'll just say "95 North - New York".  It should be treated just like any other pull-thru sign here.  295 at this location isn't really important, and signage further north will start to denote the exit for 295.

akotchi

^^ Besides, there is an existing supplemental guide sign between the 2-mile and 1-mile advance guide signs providing direction to I-276/Pa Tpk. and Burlington-Bristol Bridge via Pa. 413.  The exit number has been patched over to reflect the new Exit 39, so that sign is probably not going anywhere.

Both the 2-mile and 1-mile signs have been replaced with new panels and structures, with a covered panel alongside.  The sign previously pictured (with the 2-mile) is probably a pull-through panel -- not sure why covered.  The other sign, pictured below (with the 1-mile), may be the first advance guide sign for I-295.  The installation may not have been complete when the photo was taken.

theroadwayone

Next question: When you're getting on the PA Turnpike, at the bottom of the guide signs after the toll plaza, they list the exits from the next exit to the end of the road (X-359 EB, X-2 WB.) I assume that will largely stay the same, or will they have to change the EB exits to X-353 (the Neshaminy Falls toll plaza) or 44, or something?

akotchi

Interesting point, which I did not even think of . . . there would be potentially quite a number of signs to change!

Just guessing  . . . Since the only way to access this end from any signs marked with 359 is eastbound, it would probably have to be changed to 353.  Current 358 (future 42?) would be considered outside the toll system (ticket or barrier).

Internally, 359 may still exist for the AET gantry WB entering Pennsylvania -- my E-ZPass statement may tell me that -- but no signing would note that.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 29, 2018, 12:08:28 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 29, 2018, 11:25:10 AM

I would think it'll just say "95 North - New York".  It should be treated just like any other pull-thru sign here.  295 at this location isn't really important, and signage further north will start to denote the exit for 295.
It certainly is sized for such.  However, given that the lane-drop from 6-lanes to 4-lanes will ultimately occur at the new interchange; IMHO, providing a pull-through BGS at this location let alone this interchange (PA 413) is no longer necessary. 

Quote from: akotchi on August 29, 2018, 01:13:37 PMInternally, 359 may still exist for the AET gantry WB entering Pennsylvania -- my E-ZPass statement may tell me that -- but no signing would note that.
The current E-ZPass/Toll-By-Plate schedule for that area still lists the westbound AET gantry as Exit 359.  No doubt that next year's toll schedules (containing increases), coming out this January, will have any revised numbers.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

I-95 NB won't drop to two lanes at new Exit 39, right? It seems like the pictured sign might have a covered-up "Exit Only".

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 29, 2018, 01:32:47 PM
I-95 NB won't drop to two lanes at new Exit 39, right? It seems like the pictured sign might have a covered-up "Exit Only".
The covered portion on the sign on the right indeed is a yellow EXIT ONLY with a downward arrow.

Nonetheless, the interchange project includes widening of I-95 from 4-lanes to 6 from PA 413 to the new interchange.
My guess would be that this portion of I-95 northbound will be 4-lanes (one-way) with the far-right one being for Exit 39 (PA 413).  Such isn't unlike what was done further south in Northeast Philly approaching the Academy Rd. interchange (Exit 32).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 29, 2018, 02:07:31 PM
The covered portion on the sign on the right indeed is a yellow EXIT ONLY with a downward arrow.

Nonetheless, the interchange project includes widening of I-95 from 4-lanes to 6 from PA 413 to the new interchange.
My guess would be that this portion of I-95 northbound will be 4-lanes (one-way) with the far-right one being for Exit 39 (PA 413).  Such isn't unlike what was done further south in Northeast Philly approaching the Academy Rd. interchange (Exit 32).

I checked the Mapbox Satellite imagery usable in JOSM, which is the newest imagery I've seen of the interchange area. It seems to suggest that the NB right lane crossing the Neshaminy Creek will indeed drop, but that immediately after the bridge a new left lane will form, effectively having the left two lanes of I-95 feed directly onto the new ramp. The new left lane would probably be extended south if they replace/widen the creek bridges.

PHLBOS

The project's website does indeed mention that I-95 will be widened between Neshaminy Creek (south of the PA 413 interchange) and the Turnpike connection.  Such is no-brainer.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

artmalk

Interesting, the old signs are in Clearview and the new ones behind it are in FWHA.

Roadsguy

Quote from: artmalk on August 29, 2018, 07:27:53 PM
Interesting, the old signs are in Clearview and the new ones behind it are in FWHA.

PennDOT and the PTC started using Highway Gothic again right away when the interim approval was yanked, and they haven't shown any sign (heh) of switching back, except for the occasional Clearview sign from an old enough project like the 83-283 Turnpike widening.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 29, 2018, 04:01:25 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 29, 2018, 02:07:31 PM

I checked the Mapbox Satellite imagery usable in JOSM, which is the newest imagery I've seen of the interchange area. It seems to suggest that the NB right lane crossing the Neshaminy Creek will indeed drop, but that immediately after the bridge a new left lane will form, effectively having the left two lanes of I-95 feed directly onto the new ramp. The new left lane would probably be extended south if they replace/widen the creek bridges.

If on 95 North, the two right lanes feed 95 onto the PA Turnpike.

storm2k

Quote from: akotchi on August 29, 2018, 10:06:40 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on August 29, 2018, 08:22:24 AM

I do now have a photo to offer, which was taken late last week.  The existing signs (in front) have been taken down -- the covered portion at the bottom of the right panel was an "Exit Only" banner, which has not applied during construction.  Looks like the new sign will still advise of an Exit Only situation, as yellow showed through when I passed under it on a windier day.

Any exit number overlays on existing signs in this sequence on StreetView from that era would have covered the original exit number 26.  The downstream supplemental guide sign for the Turnpike (which I did not photograph) has also now been overlaid with Exit 39 -- this happened since last Friday.

As for the Exit 358 signs, on my last few trips that way, I could not tell that the exit numbers are overlaid, but it would not surprise me if they were.

They are overlaid. Makes it a lot easier to update with the new 95 exit numbers once the ramps open.

PHLBOS

Quote from: artmalk on August 29, 2018, 07:27:53 PMInteresting, the old signs are in Clearview and the new ones behind it are in FWHA.
Not to mention that the PA 413 shield on the new sign has its numerals in the proper position (the shield on the old sign has the numerals too low).  :thumbsup:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.