News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Look at that, I-95 is the fastest way now  :-D

Seems awfully convenient though, don't ya think?  :eyebrow: 

Alps

Quote from: famartin on November 25, 2018, 06:27:57 PM
Look at that, I-95 is the fastest way now  :-D

Seems awfully convenient though, don't ya think?  :eyebrow: 
Still plenty of backups at the 3-2 lane merge. If you hate sitting in traffic, 195-29-"295" says hi.

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 05:58:46 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on November 25, 2018, 05:53:25 PM
Stress-testing of all roads in the area is underway with the emergency closing of both Delaware Memorial Bridges due to a leak at the DuPont plant.
Traffic is backing up on 95 NB in De, Some drivers are aware & certain backup roads are starting to back up.
Looking at DelDOT's VMS map, they are suggesting that traffic moves onto the Commodore Barry Bridge.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 25, 2018, 07:36:59 PM
Stress-testing of all roads in the area is underway with the emergency closing of both Delaware Memorial Bridges due to a leak at the DuPont plant.
Traffic is backing up on 95 NB in De, Some drivers are aware & certain backup roads are starting to back up.
Looking at DelDOT's VMS map, they are suggesting that traffic moves onto the Commodore Barry Bridge.
Yea, I figured that, wonder how 95 thru Chester is looking right now.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Google suggests that everything is just a disaster right now (although, oddly, US-322 between the NJ Turnpike and I-295 doesn't look awful).

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 25, 2018, 07:40:50 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Google suggests that everything is just a disaster right now (although, oddly, US-322 between the NJ Turnpike and I-295 doesn't look awful).

This is where a 3rd crossing into Delaware & New Jersey would be beneficial right now. This should show the Dots how important 295 is & they need to give it more respect.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

akotchi

Quote from: Alps on November 25, 2018, 02:03:34 AM
Quote from: akotchi on November 25, 2018, 02:01:29 AM
There is precedent to use the toll road mileage with the appropriate Interstate shield, even if they do not match.  On the Pa Tpk, mile 327 has an I-276 shield, where the previous mile 326 had the I-76 marker before I-76 exits at Valley Forge.

Also, my understanding of the sign details is that any 10-mile increment on the NJ Tpk north of Exit 6 would have both Tpk and I-95 shields.
Whatever they're gonna be doing, it's not in the Standard Drawings.
I stand corrected.  I thought I had seen something, but I clearly do not know what I am talking about ...
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on November 25, 2018, 11:15:07 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 25, 2018, 02:03:34 AM
Quote from: akotchi on November 25, 2018, 02:01:29 AM
There is precedent to use the toll road mileage with the appropriate Interstate shield, even if they do not match.  On the Pa Tpk, mile 327 has an I-276 shield, where the previous mile 326 had the I-76 marker before I-76 exits at Valley Forge.

Also, my understanding of the sign details is that any 10-mile increment on the NJ Tpk north of Exit 6 would have both Tpk and I-95 shields.
Whatever they're gonna be doing, it's not in the Standard Drawings.
I stand corrected.  I thought I had seen something, but I clearly do not know what I am talking about ...
No, I've seen something too, but it's something they decided internally. When we did the Standard Drawings we had one in there and they wanted it out.

PHLBOS

While on my return trip from Massachusetts last night, the first VMS I saw regarding the Delaware Memorial Bridge closure was just south of Exit 11 (there may have been VMS postings regarding such further north along I-95/NJTP, but I wasn't on that northern stretch).  Some of the VMS' south of Exit 8A stated that the Turnpike south of Exit 2 was closed and listed Exits 6 & 4 as alternates.  Since my destination was Delaware County, PA; notice of south of Exit 2 & DMB closures didn't directly impact me.  I followed I-95 South via Exit 6 (I crossed into PA as of 9:30 PM last night) and had no real traffic issues through Philly and down to Exit 9 (PA 420, my exit). 

However, I did notice a back up of cars in the opposite direction (I-95 northbound) between merge w/I-276 and the Delaware River Bridge.   

Once in PA, I did check KYW's traffic reports for any I-95 southbound related traffic info.  I report I received while approaching Center City mentioned that the I-95 southbound backup started at the airport (Exit 12); when I got near the airport, an updated report mentioned that the backup started at I-476 (Exit 7), so I did not have to exit early.

Your posted graphic's about 2 hours prior to my entering the area.  The likely explanation for US 322 eastbound between I-295 & NJTP not being so bad is that many northbound travelers used I-295 northbound (which is only accessible from US 130 northbound from US 322 eastbound) as an alternate route.  Whether they got back on the Turnpike further north or not would dependent on their final destination.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 26, 2018, 09:15:17 AM
Your posted graphic's about 2 hours prior to my entering the area.  The likely explanation for US 322 eastbound between I-295 & NJTP not being so bad is that many northbound travelers used I-295 northbound (which is only accessible from US 130 northbound from US 322 eastbound) as an alternate route.  Whether they got back on the Turnpike further north or not would dependent on their final destination.
Oh I was referring to US-322 WB.  I was thinking of the backup from the NJ Turnpike exit to US-322 and how it didn't carry over to the actual mainline of US-322.  I'm not too familiar with that area though.  Are there any lights?  If so, I wonder if NJDOT prioritized US-322 traffic to get it to the Commodore Barry Bridge.
Instagram | Clinched Map

bzakharin

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 26, 2018, 09:50:57 AM
Oh I was referring to US-322 WB.  I was thinking of the backup from the NJ Turnpike exit to US-322 and how it didn't carry over to the actual mainline of US-322.  I'm not too familiar with that area though.  Are there any lights?  If so, I wonder if NJDOT prioritized US-322 traffic to get it to the Commodore Barry Bridge.
US 322 between the Turnpike and I-295 is mostly a 2-lane road with, I think 3 lights. No idea how they are configured, since that stretch is only useful to me when there are multiple delays on not only the Delaware Memorial Bridge, but also 295 and/or 130

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 26, 2018, 09:50:57 AM

NJDOT can't remotely change the timing on Rt. 322 (otherwise, they have reasons to do it on a daily basis, especially at certain lights).

Here's the biggest issue: The NJ Turnpike only has 2 exit lanes at Exit 2 (one cash, one EZ Pass only), so that in itself will limit the amount of traffic going thru.  Being that it's a holiday weekend, I'm gonna guess a more-than-average amount of traffic is paying via cash, not EZ Pass.  The traffic jammed on the Turnpike for a few miles approaching this exit.

There's a traffic light after the toll plaza to turn onto US 322.  I'm not sure what the max time is for traffic exiting the Turnpike, but probably not a whole heckuva lot of time.

Once traffic got onto US 322, there's not too much to hold them back on a Sunday evening.  If this was a weekday, the first traffic light at Kings Highway (CR 551, https://goo.gl/maps/cPofKBJ283A2) would have been overrun with congestion with not only commuting traffic, but with a high school right there.  In fact, the state just put that intersection out to bid to widen it a bit and add turn lanes.  But because it was Sunday evening, traffic was much lighter.  After that, there's a light at Swedesboro-Paulsboro Rd (fun fact, this is the road that eventually crosses 295 at Exit 16A), then a light at Berkley Drive which is where 322 becomes 4 lanes wide for a bit.  Neither light has congestion issues.

So, that's why the brunt of congestion remained on the Turnpike, and didn't get backed up again until closer to the Commodore Barry Bridge.

jeffandnicole

This is something I was thinking of as well: The financial loss to the Delaware Memorial Bridge due to the closure:

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/11/officials_adding_up_the_toll_of_massive_holiday_br.html

In the article, based on traffic volumes during the past 2 years, we can probably estimate about 130,000 vehicles would have used the span on Sunday.  The roughly 7 hour closure, during what would've been a fairly high travel period, probably would've seen roughly 1/3 of that volume, so let's say, rounded, about 43,000 vehicles had to detour.  If most of those vehicles paid the car rate, that's a $172,000 loss to the DRBA.

The NJ Turnpike suffered a loss as well due to the closure; probably in the tens of thousands, due to both the southbound closures and not coming over the Delaware Memorial Bridge and utilizing the Turnpike Northbound.

bzakharin

I wonder if the DRPA (and maybe PTC to a lesser extent) made as much money as DRBA (and NJTA) lost

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on November 27, 2018, 09:08:51 AM
I wonder if the DRPA (and maybe PTC to a lesser extent) made as much money as DRBA (and NJTA) lost
Here's a random comparison for a Delaware-bound motorist getting on I-95/NJTP at Exit 11 (GSP) and heading south.

Using NJTP & DMB: $7.25 (NJTA) + $4.00 (DRBA) = $11.25

Using I-95 (via Exit 6 & DRB): $4.60 (NJTA) + $6.75* (PTC's Toll-By-Plate* rate) = $11.35
*E-ZPass rate for PA-bound DRB is $5.00 (PTC) which would yield a total of $9.60

Using NJTP to Exit 2 (US 322) & CBB: $6.10 (NJTA) + $5.00 (DRPA) = $11.10

Using Exits 7A**, 7, 4 or 3 would likely mean $5.00 toll for any DRPA crossing.
**While one can use NJ 29 to Trenton to access US 1 south (& ultimately get on I-295 & I-95) and pay a $1.00 (DRJTBC) PA-bound toll; most aren't savvy/shrewd enough to do so.

Long story short & in theory: anyone that used either the DRPA bridges or the DRB to bypass the closed-DMB paid more towards those agencies (DRPA or PTC) than they would've to the DRBA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Steve D

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 27, 2018, 10:25:49 AM
Here's a random comparison for a Delaware-bound motorist getting on I-95/NJTP at Exit 11 (GSP) and heading south.

Using I-95 (via Exit 6 & DRB): $4.60 (NJTA) + $6.75* (PTC's Toll-By-Plate* rate) = $11.35
*E-ZPass rate for PA-bound DRB is $5.00 (PTC) which would yield a total of $9.60

Is this correct?  NJTP Exit 11 to 6 including the DRB is $4.60; on the PA side it's $6.75 (PTC Toll By Plate) or $5.00 (cash)
The NJ side is 40+ miles and the bridge; the PA side is a couple of miles and the bridge!  I guess this is related to the mandatory payments the PATP makes to the state.

PHLBOS

Bold emphasis added to below-post:
Quote from: Steve D on November 27, 2018, 11:55:23 AM

Is this correct?  NJTP Exit 11 to 6 including the DRB is $4.60; on the PA side it's $6.75 (PTC Toll By Plate) or $5.00 (cash)
You need to reread my post (that you quoted) more carefully.  The toll is only $4.60 for someone heading I-95 northbound from PA/DE to NJTP's Exit 11 in NJ. 

That $4.60 toll is only for the NJ Turnpike portion, hence, the NJTA acronym in parenthesis next to amount.  The PTC toll for the DRB ($6.75/$5.00) needs to be added to that $4.60 amount (which I indeed listed/included).  The total-combined toll amounts for each of the listed scenarios are also included.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Using NJTP to Exit 2 (US 322) & CBB: $6.10 (NJTA) + $5.00 (DRPA) = $11.10

Using Exits 7A**, 7, 4 or 3 would likely mean $5.00 toll for any DRPA crossing.
**While one can use NJ 29 to Trenton to access US 1 south (& ultimately get on I-295 & I-95) and pay a $1.00 (DRJTBC) PA-bound toll; most aren't savvy/shrewd enough to do so.

Long story short & in theory: anyone that used either the DRPA bridges or the DRB to bypass the closed-DMB paid more towards those agencies (DRPA or PTC) than they would've to the DRBA.
There are also those who paid full price for the Turnpike and were sent back up 295 to cross the Commodore Barry Bridge

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on November 27, 2018, 12:20:59 PMThere are also those who paid full price for the Turnpike and were sent back up 295 to cross the Commodore Barry Bridge
The toll difference there is only $1 more to use the Commodore Barry.  Anyone here know whether the DMB and NJTP south of Exit 2 closures occurred simultaneously or did the latter closure occur some time after the former closure?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Steve D

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 27, 2018, 12:18:55 PM

You need to reread my post (that you quoted) more carefully.  The toll is only $4.60 for someone heading I-95 northbound from PA/DE to NJTP's Exit 11 in NJ. 

That $4.60 toll is only for the NJ Turnpike portion, hence, the NJTA acronym in parenthesis next to amount.  The PTC toll for the DRB ($6.75/$5.00) needs to be added to that $4.60 amount (which I indeed listed/included).  The total-combined toll amounts for each of the listed scenarios are also included.

Let me ask my question a different way- how is the toll captured that specifically covers the DRB?  Does it come only from the PA side, or is it also baked into the toll charged for exit 6 on the NJTP?  I know hat both NJ and PA split the cost of maintenance and I thought they both captured it on their respective sides.

02 Park Ave

For one travelling from US 130 in New Jersey over the DRB into Pennsylvania there is a $3.00 NJTA toll and then the $5.00 PTC toll.  So the total toll just to cross the DRB westbound is $8.00.

No toll is collected by either agency for eastbound travel.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve D on November 27, 2018, 12:36:36 PM

Let me ask my question a different way- how is the toll captured that specifically covers the DRB?  Does it come only from the PA side, or is it also baked into the toll charged for exit 6 on the NJTP?  I know hat both NJ and PA split the cost of maintenance and I thought they both captured it on their respective sides.

Generally speaking, there's no specific toll that covers the DRB (Delaware River Bridge, aka the NJ/PA Turnpike Bridge).  Bridge maintenance is covered 50/50 by the NJ & PA Turnpikes.

Any toll paid on the NJ side stays with the NJ Turnpike. Any toll on the PA side stays with the PA Turnpike.

On the PA side, it's EZ Pass or Toll-by-Plate only.  If you have EZ Pass you're charged $5.00.  If you don't have EZ Pass, the owner of the vehicle will get a bill in the mail in the upcoming weeks for $6.75.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 27, 2018, 12:28:33 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on November 27, 2018, 12:20:59 PMThere are also those who paid full price for the Turnpike and were sent back up 295 to cross the Commodore Barry Bridge
The toll difference there is only $1 more to use the Commodore Barry.  Anyone here know whether the DMB and NJTP south of Exit 2 closures occurred simultaneously or did the latter closure occur some time after the former closure?

I'm going to say there was a difference in time.  Once the bridge was closed, the DRBA immediately shut down the bridge.  Eventually, motorists between Interchange 1 and the bridge were turned around via the median at the base of the bridge and could head back up 295, 130 or even the NJ Turnpike if they so chose to do so.  There's a lot of people that were already between Interchanges 2 and 1 that had to pay the toll at Int. 1, then probably took 140 West to 295 North.  Once the closure impact was determined to be long-term, the NJ Turnpike was closed at Interchange 2.  And then eventually at Interchange 4. 

At Interchange 3, they may have allowed motorists to access the NJ Turnpike southbound, but they would be forced off at Interchange 2 again.  Otherwise, they'd be forced to go north to Interchange 4. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 27, 2018, 12:42:11 PM
For one travelling from US 130 in New Jersey over the DRB into Pennsylvania there is a $3.00 NJTA toll and then the $5.00 PTC toll.  So the total toll just to cross the DRB westbound is $8.00.

No toll is collected by either agency for eastbound travel.
To add/clarify, the total toll for a non-E-ZPass user for the above is $9.75; the difference being the $6.75 Toll-By-Plate rate for the PTC gantry.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Steve D

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 27, 2018, 01:09:06 PM
Quote from: Steve D on November 27, 2018, 12:36:36 PM

Generally speaking, there's no specific toll that covers the DRB (Delaware River Bridge, aka the NJ/PA Turnpike Bridge).  Bridge maintenance is covered 50/50 by the NJ & PA Turnpikes.

Any toll paid on the NJ side stays with the NJ Turnpike. Any toll on the PA side stays with the PA Turnpike.

On the PA side, it's EZ Pass or Toll-by-Plate only.  If you have EZ Pass you're charged $5.00.  If you don't have EZ Pass, the owner of the vehicle will get a bill in the mail in the upcoming weeks for $6.75.

Thank you, you have proven my point.  You can go 40+ miles from exit 11 on the NJTP to the DRB and pay $4.60 for that; once you are in PA you pay $6.75 (or $5.00) to travel just  a couple of miles to the new 95 ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.