News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Only in this state....

Started by cjk374, December 13, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Michigan's diamonds have an M and are always square when independent-mount; on guide signs, they lack the M and 3-digit routes get wider diamonds.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vdeane

And not a state, but Ontario's BGS and independent mount signs are completely different.

Never really noticed a difference in NY's myself, though the lack of border seems to affect how they look a LOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on April 23, 2013, 06:29:07 PM
Michigan's diamonds have an M and are always square when independent-mount; on guide signs, they lack the M and 3-digit routes get wider diamonds.

Yep, and to let Steve know, the wider 3dms on the guide signs are not errors.  They are SOP in the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on April 24, 2013, 03:55:19 PM

Yep, and to let Steve know, the wider 3dms on the guide signs are not errors.  They are SOP in the state.
I'm aware of this, at least now - if I'm the Steve you refer to, is this somewhere in one of my captions? (I have too many pages to find old errors or assumptions.)

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2013, 07:08:06 PM

I'm aware of this, at least now - if I'm the Steve you refer to, is this somewhere in one of my captions? (I have too many pages to find old errors or assumptions.)

It's all over your Michigan pages.  :bigass:
I get a bit of a kick out of them as I know you know now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on April 24, 2013, 07:12:36 PM

Greeeeeat. "All over" usually means about 4 places, from past feedback. I'm sitting tight unless anyone wants to help me out, as I'm already running late on another update and have barely started page writing.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2013, 11:40:23 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 24, 2013, 07:12:36 PM

Greeeeeat. "All over" usually means about 4 places, from past feedback. I'm sitting tight unless anyone wants to help me out, as I'm already running late on another update and have barely started page writing.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The first time I saw New Jersey's way of posting shields on guide signs (in photographs), I thought they were mistakes.  I soon learned.  It is amazing what you learn and how different each state still is even with the Federal MUTCD.

Alps

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2013, 11:40:23 PM
8 places, I stand corrected. Also, it's 4:20. :hyper: :happy:

(Disclaimer: I'm pulling a 3-days-in-2-nighter. No drugs.)

roadman65

It seems we end up finding that each state is not as unique as we though in many areas.  As I say this, its because I found out after driving through rural Michigan on the state highway system, that all intersections intersecting a state road have a high pressure sodium lamp suspended above them on span wire. 

I have not seen it standard in other places yet, but if no other state has them on a regular basis, then Michigan has one unique road practice.  I must say its a sound idea illuminating all the crossroads or even slightest public side road as a nice night time safety feature.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

amroad17

I concur with "roadman65".  Michigan is the only state I have seen that has streetlights suspended on span wire above intersections.  This is a very good idea.  Very unique.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

DBR96A

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 14, 2012, 02:29:25 PM
Only in Louisiana (maybe not totally): Are 3di's squished into 2di shields. I know other states do this, but we seem to have it across the board. I-220 and US 171 come to mind

Louisiana is just compensating for Texas putting two-digit route numbers in three-digit shields.  :pan:

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2012, 05:32:22 PM
Only in North Carolina do the white signs advising of an impending drop in the speed limit use the grammatically-correct "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD" rather than the form "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" (which I maintain is grammatically incorrect because it is the speed limit that is reduced, and we've all seen speed-limit decreases that nobody obeys).

My comment above from December 2012 is no longer accurate: Maryland now has at least one set of "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD" signs on I-270 southbound near the weigh station. I think I saw one somewhere in Virginia a week or two ago as well but I cannot remember where. Odds are it was somewhere out I-66 towards Linden because I haven't gone anywhere to the south in the past few months.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.