News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Future of I-72 in Missouri?

Started by jhuntin1, December 11, 2014, 09:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

If I-72 continues west to St. Joseph, it could provide added connectivity to points westward on I-80, via I-29 north and NE-2 west to Lincoln, Neb.  An additional long-term stretch goal might be to upgrade that stretch of NE-2 to Interstate standards and extend the I-72 designation westward to Lincoln.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SteveG1988

I would actually work it to where it ends at 70 near Topeka. Form a northern bypass of the KC Area. It would be quite a Masterpiece of civil engineering for KC.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

rarnold

I-72 could be extended from St. Joseph to US 81 in Belleville. US 81 is 4-lanes south to Salina, and the road is 4-lanes north to York.That would provide some relief to I-29, I-70 and I-80, possibly to the chagrin of Omaha/Lincoln and Kansas City/Topeka.

However, since we here in Kansas couldn't rub two nickels together for a transportation budget, and their are other projects that have been put on the back burner, this is most assuredly pie in the sky.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 24, 2016, 05:31:10 PM
I would actually work it to where it ends at 70 near Topeka. Form a northern bypass of the KC Area. It would be quite a Masterpiece of civil engineering for KC.

There is already a southern bypass of the KC area--the last remaining segment of it is scheduled to open later this year.  Why does there need to be a northern bypass?  Shouldn't one east-west bypass and one north-south bypass suffice?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mvak36

Quote from: stridentweasel on February 24, 2016, 10:33:22 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 24, 2016, 05:31:10 PM

There is already a southern bypass of the KC area--the last remaining segment of it is scheduled to open later this year.  Why does there need to be a northern bypass?  Shouldn't one east-west bypass and one north-south bypass suffice?

I'm curious, what are these bypasses? Are you talking about 435?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Henry

All those I-72 termini (St. Joseph, Topeka, Lincoln) are good choices, but shouldn't they be discussed further in Fictional Highways?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

Yes Henry, this should be in Fictional Highways. It's unlikely Interstate 72 will go any further west anytime soon.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: mvak36 on February 25, 2016, 09:25:37 AM

Regarding the southern bypass, I'm referring to the combination of K-10 (with the new freeway section opening this year, and the freeway upgrade from the Super 2 Expressway expected in the coming years), the southern leg of I-435, and I-470 (Missouri).  Those three highways comprise Kansas City's east-west bypass.  Before K-10 became an effective part of the bypass (the long-existing surface street portion has many traffic signals), I-435 and I-470 did not make a good east-west bypass, because using the western leg of I-435 to depart from or re-join I-70 involves going significantly far north (into Leavenworth and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas) before going back south.

The southern and eastern legs of I-435 comprise Kansas City's best north-south bypass for I-35 traffic.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mvak36

Quote from: stridentweasel on February 25, 2016, 09:18:18 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on February 25, 2016, 09:25:37 AM

Regarding the southern bypass, I'm referring to the combination of K-10 (with the new freeway section opening this year, and the freeway upgrade from the Super 2 Expressway expected in the coming years), the southern leg of I-435, and I-470 (Missouri).  Those three highways comprise Kansas City's east-west bypass.  Before K-10 became an effective part of the bypass (the long-existing surface street portion has many traffic signals), I-435 and I-470 did not make a good east-west bypass, because using the western leg of I-435 to depart from or re-join I-70 involves going significantly far north (into Leavenworth and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas) before going back south.

The southern and eastern legs of I-435 comprise Kansas City's best north-south bypass for I-35 traffic.

Ok. That's what i sort of figured (didn't think about the K-10 and I-470).

They are good bypasses, except during rush hour because of the Grandview Triangle.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 24, 2016, 03:49:11 PM
If I had my way, Interstate 72 would go all the way across Missouri, and would also follow the short US 36 freeway in Kansas, just west of St. Joseph.

Would it then follow US 59 and Kansas Route 4 to Topeka? That seems to be the best route from what I can see.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

mvak36

Driving up to Des Moines today, I realized that if 72 ever gets extended to Cameron, I think 35 would need to be 3 lanes each from 435 to the I-72 intersection. There was decent traffic all the way from 435 to about exit 26 (Kearney). IMO, the traffic will only increase if 72 does get to Cameron.

That being said, it is a long ways away from becoming reality. Just something I noticed.

m2tbone

I'm pretty sure I-70 would be widened to 3 lanes each way between Wentzville and Blue Springs before I-35 gets widened to Cameron.

mvak36

Yeah. I think I-70 will get widened before I-72 ever even gets to Cameron.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: mvak36 on February 28, 2016, 10:49:23 PM
Driving up to Des Moines today, I realized that if 72 ever gets extended to Cameron, I think 35 would need to be 3 lanes each from 435 to the I-72 intersection. There was decent traffic all the way from 435 to about exit 26 (Kearney). IMO, the traffic will only increase if 72 does get to Cameron.

That being said, it is a long ways away from becoming reality. Just something I noticed.

This may be true, assuming that a lot of traffic going east on 70 would choose 72 as an alternate.  But is that a reasonable assumption to make?  KC people are probably aware of the I-35-US36 route.  Will the upgrade of US36 to I-72 cause that many people to choose that route instead of what they were already going to do?  (If not, the upgrade of I-35 isn't necessary, but also the upgrade to I-72 isn't necessary either in the first place lol)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 01, 2016, 10:39:39 AM

This may be true, assuming that a lot of traffic going east on 70 would choose 72 as an alternate.  But is that a reasonable assumption to make?  KC people are probably aware of the I-35-US36 route.  Will the upgrade of US36 to I-72 cause that many people to choose that route instead of what they were already going to do?  (If not, the upgrade of I-35 isn't necessary, but also the upgrade to I-72 isn't necessary either in the first place lol)

Knowing MoDOT's financial woes, don't expect much of an upgrade anytime soon. However, I would say, at the very least, MoDOT should upgrade the interchange between I-35 and US 36. There is WAY too much traffic for that to be a simple diamond, and then with a stoplight in the vicinity. I understand that the businesses there might protest, but travelers would greatly benefit from this interchange being upgraded, and having this upgrade already in place would be a great first step to an upgraded US 36/Future I-72 in North Central Missouri. Down the line, this would be a worthwhile interstate upgrade, but I think Missouri has other things on the table the should be given higher priority (such as expanding perennially clogged I-70).

mvak36

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 02, 2016, 10:52:56 PM

Knowing MoDOT's financial woes, don't expect much of an upgrade anytime soon. However, I would say, at the very least, MoDOT should upgrade the interchange between I-35 and US 36. There is WAY too much traffic for that to be a simple diamond, and then with a stoplight in the vicinity. I understand that the businesses there might protest, but travelers would greatly benefit from this interchange being upgraded, and having this upgrade already in place would be a great first step to an upgraded US 36/Future I-72 in North Central Missouri. Down the line, this would be a worthwhile interstate upgrade, but I think Missouri has other things on the table the should be given higher priority (such as expanding perennially clogged I-70).

I agree with everything you guys said. I don't think that it is going to happen anytime soon. I was thinking about the very, very distant future when I wrote that.

I would like to see 70 become three lanes first before even worrying about 72 being expanded across the state (though it would be nice if they did :D). I also want to see MODOT finish I-49 near the Arkansas border.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: mvak36 on March 03, 2016, 09:07:58 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 02, 2016, 10:52:56 PM

I agree with everything you guys said. I don't think that it is going to happen anytime soon. I was thinking about the very, very distant future when I wrote that.

I would like to see 70 become three lanes first before even worrying about 72 being expanded across the state (though it would be nice if they did :D). I also want to see MODOT finish I-49 near the Arkansas border.

I have yet to drive I-49 in SW Missouri, but just looking at a map, it's obvious this should be a priority for MoDOT to get done. It feels that, outside of the St. Louis District, a lot of MoDOT highway needs seem to get neglected. I'm actually rather surprised how long it took to even get US 36 four laned across the state, and I'm amazed by the inadequacy of the interchange between US 36 and I-35 at this point.

Sykotyk

The problem with I-72 is that the western end (Cameron) is part of the CKC. Sure, it's a nice alternative. But, in Missouri there is a lot of traffic heading further west. Those wanting into I-70 in Kansas are going to take I-35, but there's a lot of traffic capable of taking I-74 to I-72 to I-29 to NE2 to I-80 and avoiding the extra mileage through the Quad Cities, Des Moines, and Omaha on I-80, or avoiding St. Louis and KC metro areas on I-70. I've driven west on I-74, I-72, US 36, I-80, NE2 (also taken US36 all the way across to Colorado once, which is a great road through Kansas given its traffic).

So, starting I-72 at I-35 just means that any further extension will require resigning of exits and mile markers. And probably won't make the interchange 'extendable', such as a spur north or south to I-35 with a trumpet, leaving US36 travelers forced to get back off at the old road, or take the old road straight through, rather than a full interchange and new alignment bypass of Cameron for further US 36 travelers.

Gnutella

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 12, 2016, 01:08:05 AM...I'm amazed by the inadequacy of the interchange between US 36 and I-35 at this point.

Having used that interchange last October, one major obstacle to getting that interchange redesigned is a railroad bridge immediately to the south. The railroad bridge would need to be replaced before any work can be done to improve the interchange.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Gnutella on March 15, 2016, 09:24:19 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 12, 2016, 01:08:05 AM...I'm amazed by the inadequacy of the interchange between US 36 and I-35 at this point.

Having used that interchange last October, one major obstacle to getting that interchange redesigned is a railroad bridge immediately to the south. The railroad bridge would need to be replaced before any work can be done to improve the interchange.

It looks like the railroad is already defunct, doesn't it?  Take a look: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7492002,-94.2198173,1744m/data=!3m1!1e3

In this case, we just need to get going with the bridge demolition!

I-39

I don't think we're going to be seeing any Interstate upgrades to US 36 until the I-70 rebuild mess is solved and Missouri DOT fixes it's funding crisis, which at the rate it is going, will be another 15-20 years (bare minimum).

Seriously Missouri, you need to get going!

paulthemapguy

IMO, I just think that people going to/from Kansas City need to learn about the easter egg that is the US36 expressway.  I think the creation of state route 110 was an attempt at a wake-up call, like "HEY KC!  THERE'S ANOTHER HIGHWAY UP HERE TOO!  USE THAT ONE!"

Maybe once the IL336 expressway is completed, there might be a little more usage of US36 in MO?

ModernDayWarrior

I've driven US 36 across northern Missouri countless times. The interchange with I-35 at Cameron needs an upgrade, but other than that... the road functions perfectly fine as it is. There is no need to convert it into an interstate. The benefit of converting every little at-grade to an interchange would in no way justify the enormous cost.

Even if MoDOT had the money to spend (which it doesn't, and won't anytime soon) converting US 36 to I-72 all the way across the state should still be pretty low on the priority list.

Rick Powell

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 15, 2016, 10:16:46 PM
IMO, I just think that people going to/from Kansas City need to learn about the easter egg that is the US36 expressway.  I think the creation of state route 110 was an attempt at a wake-up call, like "HEY KC!  THERE'S ANOTHER HIGHWAY UP HERE TOO!  USE THAT ONE!"

Maybe once the IL336 expressway is completed, there might be a little more usage of US36 in MO?

IL 336 might help a little with Peoria-KC traffic, but even now they have I-155 to I-55 to I-72 to US 36. Quad Cities has I-80 to I-35 as well as a 336 alternate, which to access they have to negotiate the expressway-grade US 67 to get to the expressway-grade 336 (I'd think most truckers would rather take the interstate). I still think most long distance Chicago-KC truckers find the I-55 to I-72 to US 36 route more appealing than paying the tolls on I-88 and driving the more circuitous route to Quincy.

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 26, 2016, 03:14:36 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 15, 2016, 10:16:46 PM

IL 336 might help a little with Peoria-KC traffic, but even now they have I-155 to I-55 to I-72 to US 36. Quad Cities has I-80 to I-35 as well as a 336 alternate, which to access they have to negotiate the expressway-grade US 67 to get to the expressway-grade 336 (I'd think most truckers would rather take the interstate). I still think most long distance Chicago-KC truckers find the I-55 to I-72 to US 36 route more appealing than paying the tolls on I-88 and driving the more circuitous route to Quincy.

I think the IL-336 expressway is a complete waste and should not have been built. They should have routed "IL-110" over the I-55 to I-72/US 36 route as the Chicago to Kansas City Expressway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.