News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Early turnpike proposal from Blackwell to Oklahoma City to Wichita Falls

Started by bugo, February 18, 2020, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

This map was labeled 1956 and shows a proposed turnpike following what became I-35 from Blackwell to Oklahoma City then following what became the Bailey Turnpike through Lawton and to the Red River near Wichita Falls. It shows the Turner Turnpike as open, the Blackwell-OKC-Wichita Falls turnpike as proposed and omits the Will Rogers Turnpike which was under construction at the time. I have heard of a proposed turnpike along I-35 all the way through the state but according to this map, the N-S turnpike would have gone through Lawton instead of Ardmore. Is this an example of a confused mapmaker or was this actually a proposal at one time?

Brian556

Quote from: bugo on February 18, 2020, 07:41:07 AM
This map was labeled 1956 and shows a proposed turnpike following what became I-35 from Blackwell to Oklahoma City then following what became the Bailey Turnpike through Lawton and to the Red River near Wichita Falls. It shows the Turner Turnpike as open, the Blackwell-OKC-Wichita Falls turnpike as proposed and omits the Will Rogers Turnpike which was under construction at the time. I have heard of a proposed turnpike along I-35 all the way through the state but according to this map, the N-S turnpike would have gone through Lawton instead of Ardmore. Is this an example of a confused mapmaker or was this actually a proposal at one time?

Interesting that the mapmaker chose to mark tiny towns but leave off larger ones. Seiling stands out like a sore thumb

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

US 89

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on February 18, 2020, 07:41:07 AM

Is this a Rand McNally? It also looks like one of their regional maps. I would guess it's a mistake as I've never seem anything proposed like this.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

Maybe it could have been an Interstate 33. Or a relocation of Interstate 35 away from the US 77 corridor.

Bobby5280

Going through Wichita Falls is a pretty out of the way path for a super highway going from Oklahoma City to Dallas-Fort Worth.

Now, if the highway from OKC down to Wichita Falls had gone farther Southwest to hook into another major highway in or near Abilene that might have made such a route more valuable for long distance, even cross country travel.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 19, 2020, 06:33:36 PM
Maybe it could have been an Interstate 33. Or a relocation of Interstate 35 away from the US 77 corridor.

OK had a bunch of pre-Interstate proposed turnpikes; one followed today's truncated Chickasaw Turnpike path NE from what's now I-35 to US 377, then north via Shawnee to the Turner Turnpike.  OK elected to take Interstate funds for essentially every Interstate corridor save I-44 rather than continue their toll program, which was shifted to non-Interstate corridors such as (later) US 412, the Muskogee, and the INT.

J N Winkler

I have heard of a proposed turnpike from the Kansas Turnpike terminus at the state line down to Oklahoma City, but not that it or another turnpike was projected to run further south in the corridor now served by I-35.

As an aside, the travel time estimates seem to be based on average speeds ranging from 38 to 41 MPH, so I wonder if they were measured or if a base value was adjusted according to some method for estimating likely delay (counting towns passed through?).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.