News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Tonytone

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 09, 2023, 06:18:04 AM
I-295 Northbound, DE 141 to US 13 Virtual Workshop

Amazing, it's almost like this stretch has been under construction for the past decade in my eyes.

Maybe this will finally, I mean finally fix the 295 NB Slowdown that occurs, also another good fix is the SWM Pond being built on Old Airport Rd, that should remedy the flooding issues on that road.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bluecountry

That is awesome, that should finally take care of the NB 95/295 bottleneck.
If only they could do something about the SB bottleneck....

MASTERNC

Quote from: bluecountry on August 13, 2023, 02:29:43 PM
That is awesome, that should finally take care of the NB 95/295 bottleneck.
If only they could do something about the SB bottleneck....

Best solution there would be to reverse the split they have on NB Route 1 - keep thru traffic on the left side and traffic on 295 SB looking to reach Route 1 would take a flyover to the right side of the road.  Eliminates all of the weaving.  Unfortunately, the marshland surrounding 95 limits what they can do.

Alex4897

Delaware's draft Capital Transportation Program documents for FY25 - FY30 are now available for review here on DelDOT's website at the bottom of the page.

Here's the latest on big projects and other stuff that stood out to me, both from the list of new projects and from the cost / schedule breakdown document.

NEW PROJECTS

• Hares Corner (US 13 and SR 273) Grade Separated Intersection - This surprised me, I wonder if the surge of logistics warehouses along US 13 and SR 273 is spurring this.
  • SR 24 between Love Creek and SR 5 Improvements - DelDOT's well on their way with revising almost every single intersection along this corridor, so I'm hoping this entails roadway widening as there's not much else left to do here.
  • US 9 between Old Vine Boulevard and Dairy Farm Road Improvements - Same as above, there's a more imminent project on the books to widen US 9 to Old Vine Blvd from SR 1 so I'm hoping this is a continuation of that.

OTHER PROJECTS

• SR 1 Widening, Road A to US40 & SR1 at Tybouts Corner - Start dates for these are around 2029 - 2030 though funding allocated here makes that look a little noncommittal, so this might move around.
  • SR 4, Christina Parkway from Elkton Road to S College Avenue - Project for fixing the goofy lane drop/add condition could start around 2029.
  • SR 896 Widening, US 40 to I-95 - Unlikely to start anytime soon, preliminary engineering isn't scheduled until 2029.
  • Tyler McConnell Bridge, SR 141, Monthcanin Road to Alapocas Road - Based on the expansive project limits, I'd imagine this is a full-scale rebuild of the ageing bridge that'll finally remove the bottleneck on SR 141, though it's not scheduled for preliminary engineering until 2028.
  • HSIP NCC, Old Baltimore Pike and Salem Church Road - These intersections were just recently redone, and I saw an official document from DelDOT somewhere recently musing about connecting the two legs of Salem Church Road with a new alignment through property owned by Astra Zeneca, so I'm assuming this project is related to a realignment. Preliminary engineering scheduled to start soon, construction not scheduled.
  • US 40 & SR 896 Improvements - Construction scheduled to start around 2027.
  • US 40 and SR 7 Intersection Improvements - I'm assuming this is a potential interchange since they're budgeting $50m for construction and $3m for ROW.
  • SR 896 Boyds Corner Road, Cedar Lane Road to US 13 - Widening project scheduled for 2028 construction start.
  • SR 896 @ Bethel Church Rd Interchange - Interchange for the northern terminus of the US 301 Spur road scheduled for construction in 2029.

• US 13, Lochmeath Way to Puncheon Run Connector & Walnut Shade Rd to Lochmeath Way - Widening of US 13 south of Dover to start soon and progress southward.
  • East & West Camden Bypass - Construction to start on the bypass imminently.

• SR 1, Minos Conaway Road Interchange - Construction starting soon.
  • SR 1, Cave Neck Road Interchange - Construction starting in 2025.
  • US 9 Widening, Old Vine Rd to SR 1 - Construction starting in 2026.
  • US 9 Widening, Dartmouth Drive to Freeman Highway - Construction starting around 2027.
  • US 113 and Avenue of Honor/E. Piney Grove Road Interchange - Preliminary engineering starting around 2027.
  • US 113 and Shortly Road/Bedford Road Interchange - Preliminary engineering starting around 2027.
  • US 113 @ US 9 Interchange - Construction starting around 2027.
  • US 113 @ SR 404 Interchange - Construction starting soon.
  • US 113 at SR 16 Interchange - Preliminary engineering starting around 2027.
  • US 113 Widening, Dagsboro Road to Hardscrabble Road - Construction starting around 2029.
  • SR 23 Beaver Dam Road Widening, SR 1 to Dairy Farm Road - Preliminary engineering starting around 2026.
  • Airport Road Extension, Old Landing Rd to SR 24 - Roadway grid infill in the Lewes area, construction starting around 2026. Bits of these appear to have been already built by recent development projects.
  • Mulberry Knoll Road Extension, Cedar Grove Road to US 9 @ Old Vine Road - Preliminary engineering starting around 2028, construction not scheduled. I'd imagine DelDOT would like to force area developers to pay for this one, so this might get built piecemeal as new developments spring up along the corridor.
👉😎👉

roadman65

I'm guessing DelDOT wants US 113 to be upgraded to a n expressway.

The one on SR 273 and US 13 can't be built due to the runway at New Castle Airport unless they realign SR 273 further south.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Any chance one of those future projects includes a conversion to mileage-based exit numbers?

Dough4872

When the East and West Camden bypasses are built, will DE 10 be realigned onto the bypass and the former alignment possibly become a business route?

74/171FAN

QuoteThe one on SR 273 and US 13 can't be built due to the runway at New Castle Airport unless they realign SR 273 further south.

I was thinking that DelDOT would squeeze this in as a SPUI.

QuoteWhen the East and West Camden bypasses are built, will DE 10 be realigned onto the bypass and the former alignment possibly become a business route?

I looked into this previously and was unable to find any evidence of such.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 15, 2023, 09:08:01 PM
Any chance one of those future projects includes a conversion to mileage-based exit numbers?

Nothing in the Capital Spending programs hinted at such.  The most likely area this would be hidden in would be "Signage and Pavement Markings" on Page 6 of the FY25-FY30 plan.  A quick web search doesn't hint at any updating of the exit numbers either.

While it's a very thorough publication, it doesn't provide descriptions of the projects, although a number of them are pretty straightforward as to what they're considering doing.

Another publication, updated yearly, https://deldot.gov/Publications/reports/CTP/pdfs/ctp-book/FY23-FY28-CTP-book.pdf?cache=1692196439391 , provides a summery description of proposed funding, but again, nothing related to renumbering exits from what I found.

It's also noteworthy that the I-95 and DE 1 tolls are not used solely on I-95 and DE 1, but are integrated into the overall state transportation funding.  These tolls fund projects throughout the state.

froggie

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 16, 2023, 06:42:41 AM
QuoteThe one on SR 273 and US 13 can't be built due to the runway at New Castle Airport unless they realign SR 273 further south.

I disagree with John here.  If they dig into the hill, they can keep 273 at its existing grade and have 13 go underneath 273.  It'd be a construction phasing nightmare, but it's possible.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2023, 12:17:14 PM

I disagree with John here.  If they dig into the hill, they can keep 273 at its existing grade and have 13 go underneath 273.  It'd be a construction phasing nightmare, but it's possible.

Yep. If this couldn't be done, it wouldn't have been allocated funding.

Moving the travel lanes close and doing a diamond-the interchange to the outside, similar to the NB side of DE 7 at 58, would work here also.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 of the businesses on the corners are acquired for the ROW for this project.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2023, 01:03:08 PM

Moving the travel lanes close and doing a diamond-the interchange to the outside, similar to the NB side of DE 7 at 58, would work here also.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 of the businesses on the corners are acquired for the ROW for this project.

This was my thought. The US 29 @ Rio Road intersection rebuild north of Charlottesville, VA accomplished this exact scenario with even less room to work with.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2023, 10:44:18 AM
Another publication, updated yearly, https://deldot.gov/Publications/reports/CTP/pdfs/ctp-book/FY23-FY28-CTP-book.pdf?cache=1692196439391 , provides a summery description of proposed funding, but again, nothing related to renumbering exits from what I found.

Oh nice, this document does a better job spelling out the intentions behind some of the projects I took educated guesses on.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Im surprised they chose to persue grade separated for 13-273 before 13/40 which can be a much bigger headache especially in current times with the increased sprawl and warehouses further down 13 and beyond now.

However like someone mentioned above a huge warehouse, and booming airport probably sparked this.

The Airport has been doing so good they are back on for Aviation funding, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a brand new terminal being built in the next 5 years.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on August 16, 2023, 02:20:24 PM
Im surprised they chose to persue grade separated for 13-273 before 13/40 which can be a much bigger headache especially in current times with the increased sprawl and warehouses further down 13 and beyond now.

However like someone mentioned above a huge warehouse, and booming airport probably sparked this.

The Airport has been doing so good they are back on for Aviation funding, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a brand new terminal being built in the next 5 years.

That one I think is even harder to unweave.  While there's a few straightforward options, the numerous businesses, a nearby fire station, and the above-grade railroad crossing make for a tricky situation.  It's not impossible, but there's a bit there to work around.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2023, 11:11:48 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on August 16, 2023, 02:20:24 PM

That one I think is even harder to unweave.  While there's a few straightforward options, the numerous businesses, a nearby fire station, and the above-grade railroad crossing make for a tricky situation.  It's not impossible, but there's a bit there to work around.

Ditto, that gas station in the middle of the intersection doesn't help either.

Thats definitely a bigger build for that one, 273/13 is a regular major intersection that will be easier to grade separate without all the extra hassle.

74/171FAN

ixnay

What would happen to the New Castle Farmers Market?  I had some of the best cheesburgers and fries in my life there.  It's not quite on the ne corner but...

MASTERNC

Full LED speed limit signs are working on 495 now

ixnay

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 20, 2023, 07:23:45 PM
Full LED speed limit signs are working on 495 now

I noticed that yesterday driving up 495 to the Philly airport.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on August 20, 2023, 12:33:10 PM

What would happen to the New Castle Farmers Market?  I had some of the best cheesburgers and fries in my life there.  It's not quite on the ne corner but...

Building wouldn't be impacted - far away from the intersection.

An entrance/exit or two may need to be relocated though depending on the interchange design.

roadman65

Considering the shallow angle, a SPUI wouldn't work. Keeping  273 at grade and depressing 13/40 would be the only option to keep the runway operating across the intersection.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.