News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on September 12, 2023, 04:36:15 PM
I do wonder if there was no toll how many more people would take that exit compared to 896 or would they continue doing the same thing.

I could see some traffic waiting until SR 279 to exit, but given the position of the line dividing best travel times I can't imagine it'd be a massive difference. Access to Elkton's eastern neighborhoods is pretty restricted from SR 279. You're limited to taking SR 279 clear into Elkton, or using Muddy Lane to get to Old Baltimore Pike (which entails a number of turns, a travel stop area, a narrow sketchy underpass, and a long traffic signal cycle at SR 279).

For what it's worth, it seems like the restricted circulation around east Elkton is starting to get some attention, WILMAPCO's kicking off a study to look into fixing this exact problem.
👉😎👉

mrsman

Quote from: bluecountry on September 10, 2023, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 31, 2023, 01:04:38 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 30, 2023, 08:09:32 PM
That DE896/95 display is really confusing.
I cannot figure out if 896 through traffic is going to have traffic signals or be a diverging diamond.
Yes.

https://95896improvements.com/
has videos showing improvements
try the videos
Thanks.  Still wish DELDOT would fix 295 junction with 95SB.

Often think a lot about fixes for this terrible stretch that affects so many interregional trips int the Northeast.

Obviously physical widening would do wonders, but there are some other things that can be done to make improvements.

Right now, 5 lanes* of SB 95 (combined with 495) approach DE-141 exit.  The 5th lane forces an exit to Newport and the 4th lane allows for either an exit onto the C/D road or to remain on the main lanes.  Let's say we force the 4th lane onto the C/D road, which will leave 3 lanes of 95 in the main lanes.

Right now, 3 lanes of 295 SB approach the merge.  The left lane forces an exit onto DE-141 Newport and the right two lanes continue onto the merge.  Let's instead make the left lane not force an exit, so that three lanes of 295 can continue to the merge.

As the main lanes of 95 have been reduced from 4 to 3, there now exists room for 295 to increase from 2 to 3.  And this will allow for a better merge that better manages the relative traffic flows between 95 and 295.  The rest of the roadway does not change and this leads to:

5th lane of 95 -- exits to 141 Newport
4th lane of 95 -- C/D road at DE-141 and then merges back into freeway with the right lane ending just south of the end of the C-D road
3rd lane of 95 -- 5th lane of 95 approaching DE-1 -- exit onto DE-1 (or DE-7)
2nd lane of 95 -- 4th lane of 95 approaching DE-1 -- option lane to exit onto DE-1 or to remain on 95
1st lane of 95 -- 3rd lane of 95 approaching DE-1
3rd lane of 295 -- 2nd lane of 95 approaching DE-1
2nd land of 295 -- 1st lane of 95 approaching DE-1
1st lane of 295 -- left lane ends and merges just south of DE-141 entrance

* The 95/495 SB merge remains the same.  495 left lane ends after merge.  495 right lane becomes 1st lane of 95.  Then 3 lanes of 95.  And the flyover ramp from 495 becomes the 5th lane of 95 that forces an exit onto Newport.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on September 12, 2023, 07:17:45 PM
...Right now, 5 lanes* of SB 95 (combined with 495) approach DE-141 exit.  The 5th lane forces an exit to Newport and the 4th lane allows for either an exit onto the C/D road or to remain on the main lanes.  Let's say we force the 4th lane onto the C/D road, which will leave 3 lanes of 95 in the main lanes.

This is what formerly existed.  DelDOT recently modified the traffic pattern giving 95 South 4 lanes past 141.

Right now, 3 lanes of 295 SB approach the merge.  The left lane forces an exit onto DE-141 Newport and the right two lanes continue onto the merge.  Let's instead make the left lane not force an exit, so that three lanes of 295 can continue to the merge.

I believe the new overpass allows for 3 lanes.  However, under the current lane structure, 2 lanes continue under 141.  Just as 295 merges with 95, the left lane ends, leaving only 1 thru lane for 295 to continue onto 95.

Because the signage for the ending of the left lane is posted prior to the merge of 295 and 95, those all-too-kind motorists who want to immediately vacate the ending lane rather than staying in it until near the end point wind up creating the effect where 295 only really gets 1 lane merging into 95, as the remaining 1/2 mile or so of the left lane from 295 is often unused.

I'm figuring that DelDOT wants to give motorists that commute to/from Wilmington the wider configuration so they incur less congestion.  In the meantime, the traffic that is coming in from NJ, especially Friday - Sunday, encounters a lot more congestion than they did previously.

And this is after the DRBA spent a lot of money widening 295 to improve traffic flow in their jurisdiction.

As the main lanes of 95 have been reduced from 4 to 3, there now exists room for 295 to increase from 2 to 3. 

Just to note...I'm not sure if your intention is to increase the number of lanes to 6 on 95 between 141 & 1, because currently there's only 5.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tmoore952

I grew up near there. For whatever reason, way back when, it was deemed necessary to provide a ramp from I-295 south to DE 141. I'm not sure how much usage that ramp got then, or gets now.

I also don't think it was possible (at least in the '60s when they built it) to have I-295 merge in to I-95 from the right instead of from the left as currently exists. As I recall the river is not that far north of I-95 there.

Re: 896/279/ and 95 -- I grew up and still have family in Wilmington, and over the years I have been a U of D student, and later when I moved to DC area I was driving through that area to come back to Delaware. I don't do that as much anymore due to advancing age of my Wilmington family members and COVID etc.

If I was coming from Wilmington on I-95, to go to Newark I would get off at DE 273, as westbound it heads straight for Newark.
If I was coming from Baltimore/Washington on I-95, to go to Newark I would get off at MD 279 northbound, it heads straight to Newark. I would also go north on MD 279 to shunkpike.
Going southbound on I-95, I almost never got off at DE 896 unless I was going to the U of D football stadium area or ice arena, or I was shunpikeing (for which I would go north), or I was going south on DE 896 for some reason.
Going southbound on I-95, even if there was no toll, I would probably not get off at MD 279 to go to Newark. That's a lot farther. If there was no toll, that only makes sense if you are staying in Maryland or just barely re-entering Delaware after you get off the exit.

Fixed quote.  -Mark

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tmoore952 on September 15, 2023, 05:15:09 PM

I grew up near there. For whatever reason, way back when, it was deemed necessary to provide a ramp from I-295 south to DE 141. I'm not sure how much usage that ramp got then, or gets now.

From observations, it gets a lot of usage.  I've certainly used it numerous times myself going to college from NJ and going to the Newport area when I worked there and to visit people.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2023, 06:44:37 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on September 15, 2023, 05:15:09 PM

From observations, it gets a lot of usage.  I've certainly used it numerous times myself going to college from NJ and going to the Newport area when I worked there and to visit people.

Growing up in Wilmington, and always approaching DE 141 strictly from I-95 itself, or on local non-interstate roads, that was a ramp I never had a reason to be driven on. or (later on) to drive on myself. I did drive on it once in the '90s when "clinching" that interchange, but that was done purely for that purpose, not for any need.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 12, 2023, 08:03:38 PM
...Right now, 5 lanes* of SB 95 (combined with 495) approach DE-141 exit.  The 5th lane forces an exit to Newport and the 4th lane allows for either an exit onto the C/D road or to remain on the main lanes.  Let's say we force the 4th lane onto the C/D road, which will leave 3 lanes of 95 in the main lanes.

This is what formerly existed.  DelDOT recently modified the traffic pattern giving 95 South 4 lanes past 141.

I believe the new overpass allows for 3 lanes.  However, under the current lane structure, 2 lanes continue under 141.  Just as 295 merges with 95, the left lane ends, leaving only 1 thru lane for 295 to continue onto 95.

Because the signage for the ending of the left lane is posted prior to the merge of 295 and 95, those all-too-kind motorists who want to immediately vacate the ending lane rather than staying in it until near the end point wind up creating the effect where 295 only really gets 1 lane merging into 95, as the remaining 1/2 mile or so of the left lane from 295 is often unused.

I'm figuring that DelDOT wants to give motorists that commute to/from Wilmington the wider configuration so they incur less congestion.  In the meantime, the traffic that is coming in from NJ, especially Friday - Sunday, encounters a lot more congestion than they did previously.

And this is after the DRBA spent a lot of money widening 295 to improve traffic flow in their jurisdiction.

As the main lanes of 95 have been reduced from 4 to 3, there now exists room for 295 to increase from 2 to 3. 

Just to note...I'm not sure if your intention is to increase the number of lanes to 6 on 95 between 141 & 1, because currently there's only 5.

Ideally, the wider, the better. But the plan as outlined basically maintains the existing 5 lanes that cross the Christina River (south of DE 141).   This is probably a big constraint that can't be easily fixed, but how the lanes approach that point could be addressed. 

The key problem is that of three lanes coming from 295, only one of which remains a thru lane onto 95 south of the merge.  On weekends, arguably, the heavier traffic load is coming from 295.  My idea was to implement a minimal plan so that at least two lanes of 295 become 2 lanes of 95 south of the merge.

The changes that they made were certainly better than the old configuration, but the problem was that the new configuration favored 95 over 295 to such a great degree.

THe key problem is that ultimately only one lane of 295 ends up as a thru lane on 95 approaching the DE 1 interchange.  That's ultimately a large amount of merging considering 4 lanes coming from the Del Mem Bridge.  Two lanes of 295 need to end up on 95.

So for the 5 lanes crossing at Cristina River, the left two should be from 295.  The right 3 should be from 95.  The current configuration is more like 1 lane from 295 and 4 lanes from 95, which is so greatly imbalanced.

So with the existing construction in place, an easy fix can be had just by way of striping:

Three lanes of 295 approaching.  The left lane will either exit at DE-141 or merge in just a short while later.  This leaves two lanes of 295 in the left most lanes that are separated by barrier.  Instead of having the left of these two lanes merge just south of the end of the barrier, these two left lanes become the two left lanes of the combined 95.

The five lanes of 95 that approach can keep their existing pattern at the DE-141 exit:  3 lanes thru, 1 option lane to thru or C/D, and 1 exiting lane.  This leaves 4 lanes of 95 on the main approach around the DE 141 exit (that is separated from 295 and C/D traffic by barriers).  But at some point in time before the C/D lane ends and merges in, the rightmost of those lanes should end so that traffic will merge in.  THe best location for this is just south of the DE 141 SB overcrossing.  [To some extent this is like the original configuration, but gives a little more time for the 4th lane to merge in and not force all of the 4th lane traffic onto the C/D lane.]  The end result will leave 3 lanes of 95 at the point where the C/D lane begins to merge back in to the main flow of traffic.

The C/D lane remains unchanged.

Alex4897

Quote from: mrsman on September 20, 2023, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 12, 2023, 08:03:38 PM

Ideally, the wider, the better. But the plan as outlined basically maintains the existing 5 lanes that cross the Christina River (south of DE 141).   This is probably a big constraint that can't be easily fixed, but how the lanes approach that point could be addressed. 

The key problem is that of three lanes coming from 295, only one of which remains a thru lane onto 95 south of the merge.  On weekends, arguably, the heavier traffic load is coming from 295.  My idea was to implement a minimal plan so that at least two lanes of 295 become 2 lanes of 95 south of the merge.

The changes that they made were certainly better than the old configuration, but the problem was that the new configuration favored 95 over 295 to such a great degree.

THe key problem is that ultimately only one lane of 295 ends up as a thru lane on 95 approaching the DE 1 interchange.  That's ultimately a large amount of merging considering 4 lanes coming from the Del Mem Bridge.  Two lanes of 295 need to end up on 95.

So for the 5 lanes crossing at Cristina River, the left two should be from 295.  The right 3 should be from 95.  The current configuration is more like 1 lane from 295 and 4 lanes from 95, which is so greatly imbalanced.

So with the existing construction in place, an easy fix can be had just by way of striping:

Three lanes of 295 approaching.  The left lane will either exit at DE-141 or merge in just a short while later.  This leaves two lanes of 295 in the left most lanes that are separated by barrier.  Instead of having the left of these two lanes merge just south of the end of the barrier, these two left lanes become the two left lanes of the combined 95.

The five lanes of 95 that approach can keep their existing pattern at the DE-141 exit:  3 lanes thru, 1 option lane to thru or C/D, and 1 exiting lane.  This leaves 4 lanes of 95 on the main approach around the DE 141 exit (that is separated from 295 and C/D traffic by barriers).  But at some point in time before the C/D lane ends and merges in, the rightmost of those lanes should end so that traffic will merge in.  THe best location for this is just south of the DE 141 SB overcrossing.  [To some extent this is like the original configuration, but gives a little more time for the 4th lane to merge in and not force all of the 4th lane traffic onto the C/D lane.]  The end result will leave 3 lanes of 95 at the point where the C/D lane begins to merge back in to the main flow of traffic.

The C/D lane remains unchanged.

Given how wildly the traffic loads can swing between I-95 and I-295 for a given time of week, it almost makes the most sense to install express lane gates on the inside lanes for both merging interstates so that DelDOT can toggle which interstate feeds the extra lane to the combined I-95 segment over the river.

There had been talk of a shoulder lane being built over the marsh the next time DelDOT repaved this segment of I-95, but the plans for it have disappeared off their website so I have no idea if they're still considering it. And even then I don't remember the proposed layout well enough, it may have just benefited I-95 further.
👉😎👉

mrsman

^^^^^

That gate idea is not a bad one.  THere could certaily be something to help direct the flow of traffic better.  It means that of the two lanes from 295, the right lane either merges with the left lane (weekdays) or merges into the main lanes (weekedns) when the left lane of 95 is forced to merge over.  The best reversible merging gates that I have seen are in Chicago at the Ontario St entrance to 90/94.  A two lane ramp that normally merges into one lane with the left lane ending into the right lane, but when the reversible lanes are open westbound, the left lane could also use that ramp (which makes it possible to avoid the merge, with the left lane going to reversible lanes and the right lane continuing onto the main lanes of 90/94.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8925746,-87.6491439,3a,75y,280.53h,90.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxJCXu286dnYt5FMgkQsV5Q!2e0!5s20210801T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

There's even an electic sign that changes further back:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8924803,-87.6462732,3a,75y,291.25h,74.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sbF8ard0LI5DXn2gupseLEQ!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8925522,-87.6462531,3a,75y,291.25h,74.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdxImD2HPA5Wv7LItIkWMIA!2e0!5s20190801T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

How is traffic from Wilmington on weekday afternoons?  My experience is mainly 295 at the end of a weekend, but I don't know the regular rush hour flows.

What is odd to me is that 95 itself is only 2 lanes SB thru Downtwon Wilmington.  It gets a third lane from MLK and maintains the three lanes through the merge with 495, not forcing any of its lanes to merge onto 295 or 141, for that matter.  It is far different from 495 which arguably is designed to be the main route from Philadelphia (most signs encouraging thru traffic to use 495 instead of 95) and is at least 3 lanes through most of the port area.  The left of those forces an exit onto 295 and the remaining two have to merge with each other when 495 merges with 95.  This also seems harsh for the traffic from 495 having to make more merges than 95 traffic.  It would seem easier to somehow get 95 back to two lanes as it approaches 495, since it is 3 lanes for a much smaller distance.

Ideally, it would seem as each major freeway approaches with 3 lanes SB, that one lane should be forced to exit and the other two should be allowed to remain on the main lanes.  (I know that we only have 5 lanes to work with, but bear with me.)  This means that 495 loses its left lane to 295, and the remaining two lanes become the left lanes of 95 at the 495/95 merge.  Likewise, 95 should lose its left lane to 295, and the remaining two lanes become lanes 3 and 4 at the 495/95 merge.  The flyover from 495 becomes the 5th lane.

Then, at this point, the 5th lane forces an exit onto DE-141.  The 4th lane will allow an exit onto DE-141 C/D road or to continue on 95.  But the 4th lane does not continue forever.  It will just have a little more distance to merge in to the other lanes.*  By the time the roadway goes under the DE-141 SB overcrossing, the roadway is now reduced to 3 lanes.  These 3 lanes will be the right 3 lanes of 95 as it approaches the DE-1 exit.

Meanwhile, 295 approaches with 3 lanes.  THe left lane exits onto 141 and the remaining two continue onto 95 on the left side of the barrier.  These two lanes will not merge to each other but continue as the left two lanes of 95 all the way into MD.

It seems really backward that 95 lanes, arguably the least througput through the area with only two lanes through Downtown Wilmington, is forced to make the fewest merges to stay on 95 to the DE-1 exit.  Yes, I know its the number, but most thru traffic uses 295 or 495.  Its also more likely that 95 traffic will be exiting sooner, as 295 and 495 are more likely to stay onwards for long distance.

*An example of a similar configuration exists near me at College Park, MD.  THere, the inner loop of the Beltway has 4 lanes with the right lane forced onto the C/D lanes for US 1 exit and the 3rd lane as an option lane.  The 3rd lane either merges quickly with the other two lanes as 495 joins 95 in College Park or traffic from there can stay on the C/D lane and merge with traffic south of the big 95/495 merger.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0211471,-76.9455092,3a,75y,82.74h,85.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOgpB_ERf-y7C9DSP2LdNtA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

74/171FAN

tmoore952

Quote from: mrsman on September 21, 2023, 08:10:33 PM
What is odd to me is that 95 itself is only 2 lanes SB thru Downtwon Wilmington.  It gets a third lane from MLK and maintains the three lanes through the merge with 495, not forcing any of its lanes to merge onto 295 or 141, for that matter.  It is far different from 495 which arguably is designed to be the main route from Philadelphia (most signs encouraging thru traffic to use 495 instead of 95) and is at least 3 lanes through most of the port area.  The left of those forces an exit onto 295 and the remaining two have to merge with each other when 495 merges with 95.  This also seems harsh for the traffic from 495 having to make more merges than 95 traffic.  It would seem easier to somehow get 95 back to two lanes as it approaches 495, since it is 3 lanes for a much smaller distance.

Historically, the portion of I-95 through downtown Wilmington was opened between Adams Street and Jackson Street around 1968. Black neighborhoods were destroyed for its construction; that was going on throughout the '60s. The MLK assassination happened around the same time I-95 was being completed, and that didn't help matters. I think they were limited to going two lanes in each direction through there, to keep it between those two blocks (between Adams St. and Jackson St.). I heard from my father and siblings that it was very controversial (I was a babe in arms in 1968). The MLK assassination sparked a riot that caused the National Guard to be activated. Below, I've listed locations where you can get more info about all of this.

The aftereffect of the MLK assassination in Wilmington DE, and history of I-95 in Delaware both have their own Wikipedia pages and are each very interesting reads, at least to me, as a native Wilmingonian. Not sure if I am allowed to post links but if you are interested look up "Wilmington Riot of 1968" and "Interstate 95 in Delaware". The I-95 one gives a timeline of what was built when.

From what I have read, before any of these roads were built, it seems like I-95 was originally routed along the Delaware River (where I-495 is). But what is now I-95 was built about 8 or 9 years before I-495 was. I remember when I-495 opened, as you came NB at the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange, that I-495 was the route signed for Philadelphia. I do not ever remember I-95 NB being signed for Philadelphia (at the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange), even in the days before I-495 opened. Philadelphia did not appear as a control city until you got to downtown Wilmington.

In 1980 or so, when I-95 was being rehabbed through Wilmington (in particular the long viaduct to the south of Wilmington), that stretch was temporarily numbered I-895, while what is now I-495 was temporarily numbered I-95. I remember at some point that the renumbering was suggested to be made permanent, but the businesses near the older I-95 howled.

Finally, because the roads were not built at the same time, what is now where I-495 SB merges onto I-95 SB was a very late addition to that interchange, and there may have been space issues. That's not to say it can't be redesigned, but there is so much traffic through there it would cause a lot of short term pain.

I'm just trying to provide some historical perspective which might shed some light as to why things are the way they are there.

jeffandnicole

Ultimately, the Churchman's Marsh area of 95 South in Delaware can be a huge chokepoint.  North of 141, there's 3 lanes from 95, 3 lanes from 495, and 4 lanes from 295.  That's 10 lanes, that all need to somehow narrow down to 5 lanes on 95 south of 141. 

I-495 loses one where it exits onto 295 North, then the left lane ends after meeting up with 95, so we're down to 8 lanes merging into 5.  295 South loses 1 at the 13/40 exit, then another at the 141 exit, then another as it merges with 95, giving us the remaining 5 lanes.

Pulling up DelDOT's traffic count page again:  https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4f76a1fa5b5c493cb3e1fad44a50dad1 , if you zoom in on the 95/295/495 interchange area, the first thing that's notable is that the counts are for both directions, so roughly divide them in half for a single direction.  It shows I-95 AADT of 98k, and I-295 Traffic of 96k just before the merge.  Since these appear to be 2 way counts, cut them in half so 95 traffic is roughly 49k and 295 is 48k.  Since the counts are probably before the 141 interchange, some traffic will be exiting there before the 95/295 merge.  However, DelDOT has allocated 4 thru lanes to 95, and 1 thru lane to 295, after the 95/295 merge, even though traffic counts are fairly similar on both roadways at this point.  No wonder why congestion is significantly worse on 295 approaching 95.

Now, granted, these aren't exact figures because of omitted data including ramp data, I don't know the time period of when the counts occurred, and of course don't have the breakdown of weekday vs weekend, summer vs winter, etc.  But there's some fairly reasonable numbers here that show that DelDOT is screwing with traffic that is mainly coming from NJ. 

Very cynical me even wonders if Delaware is intentionally trying to create congestion on 295 in hopes that GPSs will register a quicker way by crossing a bridge into PA then go thru Delaware, using either 95 or 495, to "show off" more of Delaware to passing motorists in hopes that they'll stop and visit.

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 21, 2023, 08:48:21 AM
There had been talk of a shoulder lane being built over the marsh the next time DelDOT repaved this segment of I-95, but the plans for it have disappeared off their website so I have no idea if they're still considering it. And even then I don't remember the proposed layout well enough, it may have just benefited I-95 further.

I had noticed discussion of this went quiet.  I could see Delaware State Police and fire companies wanting those shoulders available without traffic riding on them to get to incidents and to move crashes onto them and dissuaded DelDOT from using them as occasional travel lanes.

74/171FAN

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 22, 2023, 03:47:04 PM
Ultimately, the Churchman's Marsh area of 95 South in Delaware can be a huge chokepoint.  North of 141, there's 3 lanes from 95, 3 lanes from 495, and 4 lanes from 295.  That's 10 lanes, that all need to somehow narrow down to 5 lanes on 95 south of 141. 

I-495 loses one where it exits onto 295 North, then the left lane ends after meeting up with 95, so we're down to 8 lanes merging into 5.  295 South loses 1 at the 13/40 exit, then another at the 141 exit, then another as it merges with 95, giving us the remaining 5 lanes.

Pulling up DelDOT's traffic count page again:  https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4f76a1fa5b5c493cb3e1fad44a50dad1 , if you zoom in on the 95/295/495 interchange area, the first thing that's notable is that the counts are for both directions, so roughly divide them in half for a single direction.  It shows I-95 AADT of 98k, and I-295 Traffic of 96k just before the merge.  Since these appear to be 2 way counts, cut them in half so 95 traffic is roughly 49k and 295 is 48k.  Since the counts are probably before the 141 interchange, some traffic will be exiting there before the 95/295 merge.  However, DelDOT has allocated 4 thru lanes to 95, and 1 thru lane to 295, after the 95/295 merge, even though traffic counts are fairly similar on both roadways at this point.  No wonder why congestion is significantly worse on 295 approaching 95.

Now, granted, these aren't exact figures because of omitted data including ramp data, I don't know the time period of when the counts occurred, and of course don't have the breakdown of weekday vs weekend, summer vs winter, etc.  But there's some fairly reasonable numbers here that show that DelDOT is screwing with traffic that is mainly coming from NJ. 

Very cynical me even wonders if Delaware is intentionally trying to create congestion on 295 in hopes that GPSs will register a quicker way by crossing a bridge into PA then go thru Delaware, using either 95 or 495, to "show off" more of Delaware to passing motorists in hopes that they'll stop and visit.

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 21, 2023, 08:48:21 AM

I had noticed discussion of this went quiet.  I could see Delaware State Police and fire companies wanting those shoulders available without traffic riding on them to get to incidents and to move crashes onto them and dissuaded DelDOT from using them as occasional travel lanes.

Does anyone know the reason why the 295 Ramp just wasn't built on the right? I can assume it was probably cost savings at that time, but that would have eliminated majority of the merging issues on that side, for the left at least.

Also I could see first responders having an issue with the shoulder if it was used 24/7, however it was going to be a temporary lane that would allow traffic during the busiest times, and close during off times.

And to add to that if traffic flow improved, there would be no delay in response times.

Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on September 24, 2023, 04:10:05 PM
Does anyone know the reason why the 295 Ramp just wasn't built on the right? I can assume it was probably cost savings at that time, but that would have eliminated majority of the merging issues on that side, for the left at least.

Given I-295 serves more regional traffic, I'd imagine forcing that regional traffic to conflict even more with local traffic on the right side of I-95 coming from DE 141 and going to DE 1, 273, etc. would make for a bigger mess. I don't know if this was the line of thinking back in the '60s when this was built, or if it was just a matter of simplifying the already convoluted interchange.
👉😎👉

tmoore952

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 25, 2023, 10:02:23 AM

Given I-295 serves more regional traffic, I'd imagine forcing that regional traffic to conflict even more with local traffic on the right side of I-95 coming from DE 141 and going to DE 1, 273, etc. would make for a bigger mess. I don't know if this was the line of thinking back in the '60s when this was built, or if it was just a matter of simplifying the already convoluted interchange.

DE 1 intersecting with I-95 did not exist in the '60s. that came much later.
At that time, that interchange was just a "regular one" for DE 7.
Christiana Mall at that interchange did not come along until 1978.

The future mushrooming of that DE 1/DE 7 interchange was not known. Southbound traffic back then would get off at US 13/US 40 interchange further east (which at times was also southbound US 301). The growth in traffic in general was not adequately anticipated in the '60s (but that could probably be said for many places).

jeffandnicole

Especially in the Northeast, left-sided ramps were relatively more common when the interstate highway system was built.  This interchange also has DE 141 going thru it further compounding the 'normal' preference of all ramps going to the right. 

There's actually a significant number of left-sided ramps, either exits or entrances at the full interchange, including DE 141:

On-ramps:
I-295 South into I-95 South
I-295 South into I-95 North
I-495 South into I-95 South
I-95/495 South into I-295 North
DE 141 South to I-95 North
DE 141 North to I-95 North

Off-ramps:
I-95 South to I-295 North
I-495 South to I-295 North
I-295 South to DE 141 North
DE 141 South to I-95 North
DE 141 North to I-95 North (the infamous left-sided reverse cloverleaf ramp)

As TMoore mentioned, further down, DE 1 near 95, nor the Christiana Mall, didn't exist when the system was built, and it's doubtful there was any consideration in the amount of traffic that area was going to receive years later and the weaving that would become necessary.  Further north, I-95 wasn't built yet in many areas, and still had I-95 planned on its original routing from Exit 10 of the NJ Turnpike thru central Jersey.

BTW, if you look up this interchange area on www.historicaerials.com , you'll see how the Christiana River was significantly rerouted in the area when the interchange was built.

Alex4897

Quote from: tmoore952 on September 25, 2023, 12:57:13 PM

DE 1 intersecting with I-95 did not exist in the '60s. that came much later.
At that time, that interchange was just a "regular one" for DE 7.
Christiana Mall at that interchange did not come along until 1978.

The future mushrooming of that DE 1/DE 7 interchange was not known. Southbound traffic back then would get off at US 13/US 40 interchange further east (which at times was also southbound US 301). The growth in traffic in general was not adequately anticipated in the '60s (but that could probably be said for many places).

Oh duh, yeah that's a good point.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2023, 01:02:44 PM
BTW, if you look up this interchange area on www.historicaerials.com , you'll see how the Christiana River was significantly rerouted in the area when the interchange was built.

And how there used to be an I-495 SB to I-95 NB ramp included in the interchange's original design that seemed to only last <10 years in service before being replaced by the I-495 to DE 141 ramp. I often wonder what the thinking was in including this originally, perhaps there were concerns the Port of Wilmington would need the access?
👉😎👉

tmoore952

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 25, 2023, 02:32:27 PM
And how there used to be an I-495 SB to I-95 NB ramp included in the interchange's original design that seemed to only last <10 years in service before being replaced by the I-495 to DE 141 ramp. I often wonder what the thinking was in including this originally, perhaps there were concerns the Port of Wilmington would need the access?

As mentioned several times already, I lived in the area and was always fascinated by that whole interchange. Usually when I was traversing it as a kid (as a passenger, which allowed me to look around in ways that drivers cannot), it was on I-95 NB and SB.

I do remember us having a road map of the Wilmington area, which showed this interchange in detail, and it showed a ramp from I-495 SB to I-95 NB. A very short ramp.

I also remember being driven by there and seeing what looked like a layout of a ramp from I-495 SB to I-95 NB, in the same shape and location as what was shown on the aforementioned map. I imagine this can be seen on historical overheads of the area (if any exist in the timeframe of early 70s to mid 80s). But I do not believe it was ever finished and opened to traffic (it was never "in service").

As you mention, later the I-495 SB to DE 141 ramp was built here instead. I am sure this was done to eliminate the several lane changes that was necessary for that movement before this ramp was built, due to the left merge of I-495 S to I-95 S.

As to why an I-495 SB to I-95 NB ramp might have been considered originally, there was (and is) no way to get from I-495 to downtown Wilmington without driving on local roads. This ramp would have allowed that to happen (although with some extra miles driven).

That would seem to beg the question though, was there an I-95 SB to I-495 NB ramp ever considered? I "never" saw that on any map, and that would have been a much more difficult ramp to construct. That movement can be (very indirectly) performed by using the DE 141 exit/entrance ramps. Recall also that I-495 was a latecomer to this interchange.

ixnay

Yes, that part of that spaghetti bowl was a landmark on my trips (as a passenger) to the Delaware beaches when I was growing up in Boothwyn, PA.  Pre I-495, we'd go by way of 95, 295, and 13/40 to the split where 84 Lumber is now, then down 13.
un
I remember the unused ramp from sb 495 to nb 95.  The concrete had been poured as of 1970 per Historic Aerials, but unopened 495 (northbound) dead ended just past its bridge over the (now railtrailed) ex-PRR line to New Castle that ran behind Delaware State Hospital and underneath the 295/13/40 interchange. 

Perhaps 495 was on the drawing board at DelDOT (or its predecessor) in 1970 but was awaiting funding for its completion.

Alex4897

Plans for the SR 896 / Boyd's Corner Road widening project from a workshop held the other week have been posted. The project calls for widening from Cedar Lane Road to US 13 and converts 3 recently built neighborhood entrances and the intersection with Shallcross Lake Road into 4 multi-lane roundabouts.
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

tmoore952

I noticed on the "Interstate 95 in Delaware" Wikipedia page that "In April 2021, Wilmington city council unanimously approved backing a plan for constructing an urban park over I-95 in the city", guessing similar to what was done in Boston and downtown Philadelphia. That's now 2 1/2 years ago, not sure what has transpired since then.

I mentioned in an earlier post that building I-95 through downtown Wilmington was very divisive in the 1960s because of the neighborhoods destroyed for it to be built (Washington DC must have gotten at least some of its cue from what happened in Wilmington; I don't know as much about what happened in Boston).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.