Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2021, 02:40:39 PM
How about this?  Seems crazy to me, but I defer to the audience.

Lots to unpack there. The unblurred bloke going southbound certainly strikes me as crazy, given how coocoo Google is with that.

But then there's the guy with the horse. Don't see that too often. Or maybe you do in Colombia.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2021, 02:40:39 PM
How about this?  Seems crazy to me, but I defer to the audience.

Other than what appears to be a fondness of motorcyclists for running red lights, what in particular looks crazy?  People are on the correct side of the road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 02:48:59 PM
Other than what appears to be a fondness of motorcyclists for running red lights, what in particular looks crazy?  People are on the correct side of the road.

People being on the correct side of the road is about the only thing that isn't crazy. The guy with the horse sharing the road with regular cars, as jakeroot mentions. The unbelievable volume of motorcycles (also seen here). The weird ridge in the middle of the road. The buildings. The people. Maybe "crazy" is a high bar, but I'm intrigued by all of it!

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 03:00:57 PM
Crazier than Cambodia or Ghana?

Uh... no... Well, maybe crazier than Cambodia, but not Ghana. What is even going on there? Looks like a lot to explore when I get a chance.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2021, 03:10:06 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 02:48:59 PM

People being on the correct side of the road is about the only thing that isn't crazy. The guy with the horse sharing the road with regular cars, as jakeroot mentions. The unbelievable volume of motorcycles (also seen here). The weird ridge in the middle of the road. The buildings. The people. Maybe "crazy" is a high bar, but I'm intrigued by all of it!

meh.

I probably share the road with horse-drawn carts, and even mounted riders, probably every single time I go to Mexico.

And I'm used to things sort of like that ridge both in town and on the highway.

So I guess I have a different baseline for "normal" than most others on here.

If you haven't watched these, then click on the links below for a typical day of driving:

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2015, 04:33:05 PM

Heading to our ministry location in the Ojo de Agua neighborhood on the south side of town.
(Sorry about the massive amount of dashboard visible)

Heading back again, with a side trip into town.
(The video skips briefly at 8:51, while I parallel parked and ran in to grab a restaurant menu.)
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
meh.

It's very hard for me to take a post too seriously when this is how it begins. But I will try to get around to watching the videos sometime.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2021, 05:11:40 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
meh.

It's very hard for me to take a post too seriously when this is how it begins. But I will try to get around to watching the videos sometime.

meh.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

andrepoiy

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

This house in Lander, Wyoming is amazing. There are 18 photospheres supposedly showing its inside, but they wildly change between them.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 27, 2021, 04:31:39 PM
This house in Lander, Wyoming is amazing. There are 18 photospheres supposedly showing its inside, but they wildly change between them.

Here's my favorite view of the house.
Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

For some reason, WQBQ 1410 AM in Leesburg, Florida is incorrectly located on the north end of the FL 19 bridge over the Cross Florida Barge Canal north of Ocala National Forest.

I've never seen any radio stations there. Maybe the station themselves should complain about it.

kphoger

For those of you who use a VPN, let me know if this is normal:

One of the MSOs my company works for has been having trouble with the VPN we use to access their sites.  Because of this, we've been using a different VPN access instead.  Today, while I was connected to that VPN, Google Maps in Chrome (incognito) thought I was in Maryland Heights, MO.  I noticed that my supposed location was several miles north of the MSO's corporate office there, in a retail business district just west of I-270 and Dorsett Road.  I called our KC regional manager and had him check his own computer just for kicks, and Google Maps thought he too was in Maryland Heights rather than North Kansas City.

When I disconnected from the VPN, Google Maps went back to thinking I was only about a quarter-mile from where I'm actually sitting.
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 01:42:48 PM

One of the MSOs my company works for has been having trouble with the VPN we use to access their sites.  Because of this, we've been using a different VPN access instead.  Today, while I was connected to that VPN, Google Maps in Chrome (incognito) thought I was in Maryland Heights, MO.  I noticed that my supposed location was several miles north of the MSO's corporate office there, in a retail business district just west of I-270 and Dorsett Road.  I called our KC regional manager and had him check his own computer just for kicks, and Google Maps thought he too was in Maryland Heights rather than North Kansas City.

When I disconnected from the VPN, Google Maps went back to thinking I was only about a quarter-mile from where I'm actually sitting.

When I am on my work laptop connected via VPN, Google Maps thinks I'm at my office, which is 250ish miles away. My personal laptop thinks I'm pretty close to where I actually am.

As for the several miles difference, the company may have servers in a different location than their offices.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 01, 2021, 02:07:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 01:42:48 PM

When I am on my work laptop connected via VPN, Google Maps thinks I'm at my office, which is 250ish miles away. My personal laptop thinks I'm pretty close to where I actually am.

As for the several miles difference, the company may have servers in a different location than their offices.

Either when I'm on VPN at home or in the office, Google Maps thinks I'm at the company headquarters (which must be related to how the servers are structured).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

interstatefan990

There's been times when I used a VPN that Google thought I was in Saudi Arabia. When I opened a new google search and started typing, the characters appeared from right to left, as is with the Arabic language.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

CNGL-Leudimin

In commemoration of the 11th anniversary of this thread (happening tomorrow), I introduce the true gateway to Hell :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

D-Dey65

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 06, 2021, 05:44:04 PM
In commemoration of the 11th anniversary of this thread (happening tomorrow), I introduce the true gateway to Hell :sombrero:.
Really? Because that looks like it might be a fun drive.

Big John

kphoger

I'm always amused that people think 666 has anything to do with hell.  It's just a number that refers to a person in the book of Revelation.  Debate all you want what person it refers to, but Satan isn't a person.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2021, 09:31:56 AM
I'm always amused that people think 666 has anything to do with hell.  It's just a number that refers to a person in the book of Revelation.  Debate all you want what person it refers to, but Satan isn't a person.

Even worse are those who think any number of sixes does. The number is exactly 666, as in 2*3*3*37, which is also the sum of integers from 1 to 36. 6666 and 66666 do not mean anything, nor do three separate sixes in a row (such as June 6, 2006 in shorthand format), and two thirds is right out.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

NWI_Irish96

True story: my wife and I like to play poker, and Catholic churches often host poker tournaments as fund raisers. The first time we went to one particular church, she got in a hand with the priest where she had pocket aces, he had pocket sixes, and he knocked her out of the tournament after a 6 came on the flop.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.