2015 Buffalo/Niagara Falls mini-meet?

Started by Roadgeek Adam, June 19, 2015, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Alright, people know that I've thrown around the idea of a Western NY meet while I am up here in Tonawanda (until mid-August, when I voyage to IL for grad school).

I've have had interest for a road meet in Niagara Falls and Buffalo. I was at the 2008 meet in Buffalo, which didn't cover much of Niagara Falls, but did of Route 219 construction, which was big at the time.

Rather than set a date or a restaurant, I want to see what the interest is and when.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

dgolub

I'm definitely interested.  Either Buffalo or Rochester would be of interest.  I'd also be up for a two-day meet covering both cities.  My schedule for the rest of the summer is pretty open, although ideally I'd prefer to have the weekend of 7/11 available.

Buffaboy

It depends on when and where, but I am interested! Been thinking about it for a bit.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

I'd be in if I'm available. I'll have most dates for the rest of the summer set by the end of the weekend, so I'll be able to say when "for sure" I'm free in a couple of days.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

I'm interested and free for most of the summer, but won't be a definite until the details are meted out.

7/18 would be the best weekend for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

The weekends of 7/11, 8/8, and 8/15 are definitely no good for me.

That said even if this is on a weekend where I'm free I don't know if I'd go. My girlfriend definitely would not be able to come with me and it's far enough away as to be a three day commitment at minimum. Three days which, given my intent on taking a professional certification exam this fall, probably should be spent studying.

There's a good chance I'm not going to any roadmeets until after then, even if they are closer to home.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

route17fan

That would be fun! Let me know when and I will see what I can do :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Roadgeek Adam

I'm not opposed to any weekend of the 11th, 18th or 25th. So, do people want a mini-meet or the full scale thing? There definitely is the demand.
Adam Seth Moss

Dr Frankenstein

dgolub

Rothman

I also tend to jump at any chance of going to Duff's.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

If I'm available, full thing. Why not?

Eastern Hills and Dick Road Duff's can both handle groups. Neither is far from the oldest button copy sign on the Thruway (assuming they haven't yet removed it) or the monotube.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

AsphaltPlanet

Yeah, I might be interested to get some wings at Duff's depending on the weekend
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

I'm up for a regular roadmeet in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area.  There's essentially been two Rochester meets in the past five years, and I see the area all the time, so it holds less interest for me, but I'd still likely attend.  Either is possible to do while spending a weekend at my parents' house.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 20, 2015, 02:06:43 PM
Yeah, I might be interested to get some wings at Duff's depending on the weekend

I guess we have to do the Duff's vs. Anchor Bar fight.  If we do Duff's, I'd lean toward the Transit Road (NY 78 one). As for Anchor Bar, self-explanatory.

Also, Cody's meet is on July 25, so here's the following date options:

July 11
July 18
August 1
August 8.

I'll keep July 25, but I don't like conflicting road meet days.
Adam Seth Moss

Buffaboy

Those are good dates.

Who HASN'T been to a road meet?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

corco

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 20, 2015, 07:00:17 PM
Those are good dates.

Who HASN'T been to a road meet?

Approximately 99.999997931359115856553317797564% of the world's population at the time of this post

Rothman

I'm up for the Anchor Bar as well, but wherever's fine by me.

I've been to one meet and it was years ago on Long Island.

froggie

Doug and I are preoccupied on the 11th, though he'd have a far better chance of making it to Buffalo than I would.

Rothman

Dang, it'd be great to see Doug again.

cl94

11th and 18th work here, but I'd like to know which pretty soon so I can plan around it. August is crazy for me with grad school visits and likely a vacation.

Roadgeek Adam

Would people be up for July the 18th?
Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

Buffaboy

Sounds like an open date for me.
What's the itinerary?

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 21, 2015, 08:30:13 PM
Sounds like an open date for me.
What's the itinerary?

I have some basics in right now:

LaSalle Expressway stub
Skyway, because Skyway
Cleveland Drive bridge construction
A quick tour through Love Canal to see a piece of history and some really abandoned urban roads.

There will be more, including some bridge photography (especially a beautiful place of the South Grand Island).
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.