News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Top things to see/do at the Twin Cities (MN) meet

Started by froggie, May 22, 2017, 03:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the top three priorities you would like to see (or do) at the Twin Cities meet?

Stillwater Bridge (MN 36/WI 64) construction
Completion of the MN 610 freeway
I-35E HO/T Lanes and the Cayuga Bridge
I-35W HO/T Lanes and the Crosstown Commons (MN 62)
MN 100 upgrade completion
Minneapolis "Chain of Lakes" Parkway system tour
Bridges of the Mississippi River
Bridges of the Minnesota River
County clinching (please specify desired counties in the comments)
Route clinching (please specify desired routes in the comments)
Other (please specify in the comments)

Mdcastle

Besides being able to get the pictures everyone gets of Minnehaha Falls and of Lake Calhoun with those sailboats and the skyline, The Grand Rounds are interesting to a point driving around a slow speed urban parkway. Most of the streetlights are the new-old fake history ones but they still have some of the mercury vapor mid-century modern lights left various places, and an arts and crafts style by the Falls. But trying to clinch the whole thing is tedious. If people really want to do it I'd suggest Minnehaha Park to Calhoun. Or better yet rent a bicycle and ride around the lakes on the off-street paths.

As far as the Mall, it's what you're supposed to do in Minnesota, but it was more interesting before they remodeled it to remove 90% of the theming so all four hallways have the same white marble, took out most of the trees and painted the amusement park neon colors, and had more non-chain stores.

DandyDan

I have never been to a road meet before and it's not that far from Mason City to the Twin Cities, so anything is probably good.  I would like to know when it would be  because I could plan a trip to a Twins game possibly as well (haven't been to Target Field yet).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

froggie

I've timed the meet for August 5th.  The Twins are in the middle of a home stand against the Rangers that weekend.  There's been some interest from a few others in attending a game, including me...I grew up with the Metrodome and still have yet to attend a game at Target Field.  Question would be whether to do the 6:10pm game on meet day or the 7:10pm game on Friday the 4th.  The Friday game will have a fireworks show post-game.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2017, 07:56:07 AM
I've timed the meet for August 5th.  The Twins are in the middle of a home stand against the Rangers that weekend.  There's been some interest from a few others in attending a game, including me...I grew up with the Metrodome and still have yet to attend a game at Target Field.  Question would be whether to do the 6:10pm game on meet day or the 7:10pm game on Friday the 4th.  The Friday game will have a fireworks show post-game.

I'd be up for the Friday night game, being as I'll be spending the day in Minneapolis anyway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

My dad and I already have tickets for the game on Sunday the 6th, so we would not be part of any group going to the Friday or Saturday game.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

^ That's fair, Anthony.  On that note, will your dad be with you at the meet?

Right now, if anyone's interested in a group going to a Twins game, my preference is Friday.  My wife will be in MN with me that week and is interested in going, but she flies out Saturday morning (before the meet).

TheHighwayMan3561

Friday makes more sense to me simply so we're not scrambling to finish the meet and then trying to get downtown for the game on Saturday, unless you were already planning or considering for us to end there.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

The meet tour is still open-ended at this point.  But given other things, my preference is for Friday.

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on May 30, 2017, 07:57:04 PM
That's fair, Anthony.  On that note, will your dad be with you at the meet?

Yes, he will be in attendance.

Highway63

I found out, without asking, that I will have Aug. 4-5 off (don't know yet about the 6th), so that's going to work out just fine.  :D

A Twins game would be fun; I toured the stadium but haven't been to a game. Friday would be my preference. If the meet ends early enough Saturday, I can get back that night.

Bridges of the Mississippi would be on my list since I have everything US 52 and south in Minnesota. The Stillwater bridge would be nice but it's also the farthest away, I think.

County/route clinching can't apply to me since the closest things I need are US 61 north of MN 36 and the US 169 freeway.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: froggie on May 25, 2017, 04:34:15 PM
To be honest, I'd rather save the Stillwater Bridge for a follow-on 2018 meet, as it will be open to traffic by then.  The voting thus far suggests that other spots will be preferred this year.
Why wait until next year? Ribbon cutting is Aug 2nd.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

froggie

Two reasons.  First, at the time I started planning for this meet, it wasn't clear that the bridge was going to be open in time.  Also, poor weather this summer could delay that ribbon cutting.

Second, the Stillwater Bridge is significant enough to where it could be its own full meet, and there is plenty of other roadgeeky stuff to see around the Twin Cities area.  This stuff is also spread out far enough to where it would be very difficult if not impossible to do in one meet.

US71

Does that mean motel rooms will be at a premium?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

Quote from: US71 on June 16, 2017, 11:40:12 AM

Does that mean motel rooms will be at a premium?

Hilton has a sale through the end of today, so I was able to get a room right near MOA for $107/night, but yes, stuff is expensive for that weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hbelkins

Surely a baseball homestand wouldn't jack up the prices of hotel rooms in a metro area the size of Minneapolis/St. Paul?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2017, 02:44:24 PM
Surely a baseball homestand wouldn't jack up the prices of hotel rooms in a metro area the size of Minneapolis/St. Paul?

I doubt it.  Adam, where will we all meet for the road meet?  That, I'm sure, will define where the hotels should be for most of us.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

I want to confer with Monte about that...but right now leaning towards somewhere in St Louis Park or Eden Prairie.  Don't hold me to that, though.

A.J. Bertin

I had the exact same question Brandon did. Where we meet for lunch on Saturday will likely determine whereabouts I will want to look for a hotel room.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 16, 2017, 05:55:20 PM
I had the exact same question Brandon did. Where we meet for lunch on Saturday will likely determine whereabouts I will want to look for a hotel room.
I echo that sentiment
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Ok, here's the deal.  I'll have enough $$$ to play with given the twins game ticket isn't too expensive.  However, we will need to coordinate ticket purchases or have one (likely froggie) purchase them (high risk of no-shows causing problems).  Tickets are going to be between $30-50 a head so plan wisely.

Time off is more of a challenge since I have not enough now but I can grab more over the next week to cover the weekend including Friday (and Monday possibly to recover).  Given that - I have plenty of time to get it.  I also am traveling two weeks later for the solar eclipse and want to have some time handy for unforeseen circumstances.

Given that; I prefer to focus on relics, bridges and construction.  I also feel that given the area we have to cover, covering what we do end up with won't happen in under 4 hours.  Plan for more time just for the meet tour.  I would like to return Saturday night, but I know that is not going to happen because that's a 4.5 hour drive and I'm preparing for it.

I do plan on booking hotel as soon as I secure one day's time off which will likely be within the next two weeks.  When can the poll be closed and decision made?  That would be a bonus to be able to determine where to book the hotel.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cl94

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 25, 2017, 12:37:07 PM
Ok, here's the deal.  I'll have enough $$$ to play with given the twins game ticket isn't too expensive.  However, we will need to coordinate ticket purchases or have one (likely froggie) purchase them (high risk of no-shows causing problems).  Tickets are going to be between $30-50 a head so plan wisely.

This. Provided it's not too expensive, I'll definitely be up for a game (nice to be able to just experience a game without not caring too much about the outcome for once), but purchases need to be coordinated so we get a block. As far as prices, we can get upper deck outfield or outfield bleachers for about $30 a head including fees, about $15 more for upper deck behind the plate. Definitely cheaper than I'm used to as a Yankees fan  :-D .

hbelkins

I'm not going to the baseball game for a couple of reasons -- I don't know yet where I will be staying on Friday night, or if I will even have made it to the Twin Cities vicinity by Friday; and I'm still boycotting MLB over the 1994 strike -- but baseball tickets cost that much these days? Wow. Just wow.

I know it's been many years ago, and there's inflation and all, but I remember when you could buy Reds tickets for $5 back in the days of the Big Red Machine. First game I ever saw, we were two rows from the top directly behind home plate in Riverfront Stadium. Every infield pop-up looked like it was a home run from that perspective.

As for vacation time, I hope to have enough to be able to travel all of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I had planned on only taking off Wednesday afternoon and making it to either Terre Haute, Ind. or Danville, Ill., to work on my clinch of US 150, but now think it would be best for me to travel all day Wednesday, with the goal of making Peoria or Quad Cities by evening. That gives me more time to do what I want in Iowa on Thursday, get farther along the route (possibly Rochester) and then use Friday to get to North Dakota for the first time and then back to the Twin Cities or within a reasonable drive of the meet location by Friday evening.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on June 25, 2017, 04:17:35 PM
I know it's been many years ago, and there's inflation and all, but I remember when you could buy Reds tickets for $5 back in the days of the Big Red Machine. First game I ever saw, we were two rows from the top directly behind home plate in Riverfront Stadium. Every infield pop-up looked like it was a home run from that perspective.

Inflation makes a big difference: $5 in 1975 is equal to $23 in 2017.

But yes, $23 is still less than $30-$50. This difference is the price of having free agency (which MLB did not prior to 1976).

Highway63

Slight "eep" on the price but I don't have a good handle on pro ticket costs. I'm all for the Friday game, and like the group-purchase idea. I don't suppose there can be any carpooling? (Since we don't have a Saturday meeting place thus no lodging arrangements yet.)

If things get moving on this without me around here, I should get on a PM or e-mail quickly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.