News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What video program are you binging/did you most recently binge watch?

Started by skluth, May 27, 2022, 08:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 10, 2022, 06:07:32 PM
Remember reruns? Nothing worse than getting all settled in to watch a favorite show, and you realize in the first five minutes that you already saw this episode three months ago.

Actually, maybe the best thing now is being able to watch the first couple of episodes of a show, when you'd only ever seen later ones on live TV or as reruns.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 10, 2022, 06:07:32 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2022, 03:49:52 PM
I should clarify that we don't actually watch shows by the typical definition of "binge watching".  That is to say, we don't watch more than one or two episodes of anything at a time.  Rather, we stream-watch one show from beginning to end, but we might watch four episodes in a week or only one episode in a week.

That would still be binge watching by historical standards, where a 26-episode season would be viewed over the course of nine months or so.

It still doesn't feel right to call it "binge watching", because it's just... the way we watch TV now.  I haven't had cable TV in more than a decade.  Watching one series at a time (or maybe two) is the only way we watch shows anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ted$8roadFan

i wouldn't call it binging, but I recently watched multiple episodes of Ozark and Better Call Saul in a relatively short time.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 02:13:07 PMMy wife and I just started, last night, on S1E1 of Burn Notice.

That's a fun one!  (I think I watched it about a decade ago.)

As for my own viewing, the last thing I watched was a random episode of Poldark (the BBC's 2015 adaptation).  I had just gotten into the series (was about to start the second or third book) and was curious about the casting choices.  It's actually been years since I watched a TV series from start to finish, though I followed Outlander through season 4.

Completism used to be the posh term for what is now called binge-watching.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 15, 2022, 08:22:17 PM
Completism used to be the posh term for what is now called binge-watching.

I mostly associate that term (or, more accurately, the variant form completionism) with video gaming, where it's common vernacular for a willingness on the part of a player to tick off all the boxes in whatever sort of checklist the game tracks. (Getting 100% in the most recent Legend of Zelda title, for instance, involves completing all 150 shrines, finding all 900 korok seeds, visiting every named bridge in the country, etc.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.