News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you ever had a concussion?

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 02, 2022, 07:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I've had four:

1992:  I smashed my head into a rock after flipping a sled on fresh powder on a downhill slope in New Milford, CT during winter. 
1993-94?:  I missed blocking a side kick to my right temple during a Karate tournament in Danbury, CT.  Somehow I still finished 3rd in my age group whatever year that was. 
2001:  I barrel rolled an ATV in a desert wash north of Phoenix and cracked my helmet. 
2010:  I was run over by a car in Coronado, CA while running which launched me into the air.  I came down onto the street on my left arm and face. 

The fourth concussion is the only one where I had some long term lingering symptoms.  My short term memory was all messed up for about two months afterwards.

JayhawkCO

Just one. I was playing football in the park with friends and laid out for a pass and hit a soccer goalpost. Honestly pretty lucky I didn't die. No long lasting effects though.

Scott5114

I think I had one when I was a kid, when my friend's German Shepherd got a bit too rambunctious and knocked me down. I had to lie down in the dark for a little bit and ended up going home early. I never went to the doctor or anything, though, and I didn't have any long-term symptoms, so I don't know for sure.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

I probably had one when I was 6. I was on the playground, which had one of those wobbling bridges. I was running after some kid, who jumped on the bridge to slow me down, and he ended up sending me over the side right onto my head with the ground a few feet below. I didn't even cry or anything, but I wondered if it did cause long-term issues being how young I was.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

I know I had one when I was a kid. I fell off something at the playground and my father happened to be there. I don't remember what happened, but he took me to the emergency room and they diagnosed a concussion. I wasn't allowed to play soccer that weekend.

I suspect I may have had two others, one in 2004 or 2006 (don't remember which) due to a bad wipeout when I was skiing at Mont-Tremblant and my head apparently bounced off the snow and the other this past May (2022) when I was ice skating in Florida with our nephew and I caught an edge and fell flat on my back and hit my head on the ice. Both times I was checked out for a concussion by someone with medical training and both times I was told I showed no symptoms, but I still wonder.

I sometimes wonder whether I had one when I was a kid and I lost control of my bike, flipped over the handlebars, and hit a tree.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Joseph R P

When I was a kid, I was using my brothers' bunk bed like a jungle gym and was hanging of the front of it, fell backwards, and whacked the back of my head on their TV stand. It hurt really bad and for the following year or so I would get random aches in the spot I injured.

NWI_Irish96

I've not had a concussion, mainly because I'm very risk averse (tying this into another thread).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

thspfc

Somehow not.

In 3rd grade I was walking back inside from a school fire drill, tripped over a 3ft wall, and landed face first on concrete. Maybe I managed to break the fall with my hands, I don't remember. But everyone was forced to walk around said wall after that.

In 6th grade I got hit in the mouth by a wayward baseball. Had to go to the ER to dislodge my braces from the insides of my mouth, but no concussion.

Sophomore year of high school at soccer practice we were doing free kicks. Being one of the youngest guys on varsity, I was forced to be in the wall while the hardest shooter on the team was taking the free kicks. I got smoked just above the ear. My ears were ringing for a solid two minutes afterwards but no concussion.

dlsterner

Not that I'm aware of.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Rothman

A couple.  One where someone took my legs out from under me during an ultimate frisbee game in high school.  Another when I got bumped into a gym wall accidentally by a 6'6" behemoth during a basketball game.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

amroad17

I believe I have had two.

The first occurred during a youth football practice when I was 12.  We had a drill in which two players laid on the ground head-to-head with one holding a football.  When the whistle blew, the one holding the ball was supposed to attempt to "run over" the tackler.  I was the tackler in this drill and collided helmet-to-helmet with the ball carrier.  I saw the "green glow" but got right back up.  Later, I had a pounding headache and got checked by a nurse neighbor who said that I had a mild concussion.  Remember, this was the mid 1970's where we had plastic helmets, that plastic white facemask, and some padding inside the helmet.  Somewhat primitive.

The second occurred during a soccer match between my high school (Western Branch High in Chesapeake, VA) and Granby High from Norfolk.  I was the goalkeeper and went to corral the ball near the front left side of the goal area.  As I slid and grabbed the ball, a Granby player tried to hop over me.  However, he also kneed me on the right side of my head.  I sat there for a few seconds, got up, played for a few more minutes, then asked to be pulled from the match as I wasn't feeling great.  I did not get this one checked as the headache wasn't as bad as the last one, but felt more nauseous on this one.  I felt better after two days, so I am fairly certain this was also a mild one.

I have not had one since then.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

DandyDan

I've never been officially diagnosed with one but I believe I have had 3 for sure
1) the time in 1996 when I flipped my car over
2) the time in 1998 when I was driving a delivery van for my employer at the time and had an accident
3) the time in 2014 when someone at work wasn't paying attention, ran into me and I fell over and ultimately left work early.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MATraveler128

Me neither. I've never had one before.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

ET21

Yes, 2016. Came up too fast and banged my head right onto the corner of a steel beam support. Almost knocked myself out
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Ted$8roadFan

I've had one, resulting from a bout of sepsis back in 2014 causing me to fall  and fracture a vertebrae (nothing paralyzing, though). The concussion wasn't the most serious issue. I try to forget about that time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.