News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recording artists everyone made fun of at their peak of popularity

Started by bandit957, July 10, 2022, 07:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Pearl Ja
Hootie & the Blowfish
Men at Work

And people still make fun of Nickelback
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 11, 2022, 10:27:07 AM
Pearl Ja
Hootie & the Blowfish
Men at Work

I don't remember anyone really making fun of Pearl Jam other than the kind of unintelligible mumbling of Eddie Vedder, but still people liked them. Nirvana was given more trouble for the mumbling, i.e. Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana".

formulanone

Fame begets mockery, whether by jealousy or the nuisance of repetition.

Also, it helps if your name rhymes with a bodily function or weird object.

1995hoo

I recall a lot of jokes about Michael Jackson purportedly being a homosexual during the year or two after Thriller (and long before he faced child molestation allegations). I will not repeat any of said jokes now (to the extent I remember any of them)–times have changed and jokes like that are not generally considered particularly amusing these days, and I'm sure you could find them yourself if you want.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Dire Straits famously made fun of Boy George.

I was a fan of Mr. Big, although "To Be With You" was cheesy. Billy Sheehan is one of the best rock bassists ever. His work with Talas was epic, as were his performances on David Lee Roth's first two solo albums. I would defy anyone to find a better team than Sheehan on bass and Steve Vai on guitar.

Yeah, I made fun of disco artists when disco was popular. I was a rock/metal fan and I hated disco.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

I think every then-current superstar is going to get its share of parodies and digs from just about everybody.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

bandit957

There were certain songs everyone made fun of, such as that ridiculous "Are You Jimmy Ray." That was the equivalent of "I Do You" by the Jets of several years earlier that everyone made fun of.

Other than "I Do You", people didn't make fun of the Jets that much. And I don't even remember who made "Are You Jimmy Ray", so I don't know if anyone made fun of them.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

mgk920

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bandit957 on July 11, 2022, 12:07:01 PM
There were certain songs everyone made fun of, such as that ridiculous "Are You Jimmy Ray." That was the equivalent of "I Do You" by the Jets of several years earlier that everyone made fun of.

Other than "I Do You", people didn't make fun of the Jets that much. And I don't even remember who made "Are You Jimmy Ray", so I don't know if anyone made fun of them.

His stage name at least was, you guessed it, Jimmy Ray.

Rothman

Pearl Ja
Hootie & the Blowfish
Men at Work

Nickelback, yes.  Hootie, somewhat.  The others...wut?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

Billy Joel, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Henry on July 11, 2022, 01:14:17 PM

To quote Rothman, wut?

ethanhopkin14

I was never into the grunge phase or the alt rock (or alternative) that came after it, so I am not taking up for Nickelback.  I thought they sucked when they were popular, but the Nickelback hate seems to have been an internet thing.  You know, the internet collectively decides this person, act or show is stupid and everyone piles on?  Everyone forgets that in the early 2000s, all those same people were blasting Nickelback as loud as they could out of their Fireos.  I don't remember any distain toward Nickelback during the height of their success, which put me off because I hated them. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2022, 01:37:51 PM
I don't remember any distain toward Nickelback during the height of their success, which put me off because I hated them.

100% people made fun of them when "This Is How You Remind Me" came out.

7/8

No mention of Justin Bieber? That's the first one that comes to my mind.

JayhawkCO

I think for some in this thread, we need a little bit of definition. The artists listed by the majority here aren't just ones who were popular and also had a subsection of haters, which would happen to almost any celebrity. This is for artists that were almost universally derided after a week or two of their song being popular while a very small sub-section of the populace never got the hint.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 01:47:50 PM
I think for some in this thread, we need a little bit of definition. The artists listed by the majority here aren't just ones who were popular and also had a subsection of haters, which would happen to almost any celebrity. This is for artists that were almost universally derided after a week or two of their song being popular while a very small sub-section of the populace never got the hint.

That describes Rebecca Black's "Friday" from some years ago.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 01:42:00 PM
I don't remember any distain toward Nickelback during the height of their success, which put me off because I hated them.

Okay, I personally didn't see it.  I worked with a lot of people at the time that not only never made fun of them, but that exact song they would sing, even when it wasn't on the radio.  Back in the early 2000s, I had exactly 0.0% internet existence (meaning, I used the internet to look up baseball schedules and stats and that was it, no chat rooms or no forums) so if the Nickelback hate was an online thing, I had no clue. 

bandit957

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 11, 2022, 01:50:25 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 01:47:50 PM

That describes Rebecca Black's "Friday" from some years ago.

I forgot all about that ridiculous song.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2022, 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 01:42:00 PM

Okay, I personally didn't see it.  I worked with a lot of people at the time that not only never made fun of them, but that exact song they would sing, even when it wasn't on the radio.  Back in the early 2000s, I had exactly 0.0% internet existence (meaning, I used the internet to look up baseball schedules and stats and that was it, no chat rooms or no forums) so if the Nickelback hate was an online thing, I had no clue.

It was just a thing among most people I knew in college.

skluth

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 01:24:26 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 11, 2022, 01:14:17 PM

To quote Rothman, wut?

I prefer the old fashioned WTF. Whitney did have people making fun of her drug use her last couple years, but that was post-peak popularity. But Springsteen? Billy Joel? Wow!

Scott5114

I was never into the grunge phase or the alt rock (or alternative) that came after it, so I am not taking up for Nickelback.  I thought they sucked when they were popular, but the Nickelback hate seems to have been an internet thing.  You know, the internet collectively decides this person, act or show is stupid and everyone piles on?  Everyone forgets that in the early 2000s, all those same people were blasting Nickelback as loud as they could out of their Fireos.  I don't remember any distain toward Nickelback during the height of their success, which put me off because I hated them. 

For me, what took the Nickelback criticism from just fun and games to actually legitimate criticism was that video where someone played two or three of their songs at the same time and the timing of the verses/choruses and even most of the chord changes lined up more or less perfectly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

A Flock of Seagulls, with their outlandish hairdos, lyrical themes about outer space, and heavily-played MTV videos.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.