News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

IN-66 through Perry County (Ohio River Scenic Byway)

Started by royo6022, August 29, 2019, 06:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royo6022

Being from Southern Indiana, I've always been curious about the uber-amounts of scenic highways Indiana has to offer. One I have especially been obsessing over for awhile now is the Ohio River Scenic Byway (IN-66) through Perry County. I wanted to drive on it for so long, especially after looking at the route itself on a map. I finally found the time last week and went for a little trip.

This highway was like one I have never traveled on before in my life. On some parts of the highway, you couldn't go over 20 mph because of the mountainous terrain and just the way the road was built. It is really neat to experience because you don't see roads built like that anymore. I've been through rural West Virginia in the Appalachians and this road still threw some crazier curves at me than the ones in WV. Not to mention the beautiful spacious countryside views as well as the riverside cruise as you get to the southern section of the curvy byway.

I highly recommend you take the journey, as this trip quenched my thirst for adventure (and some).
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

ozarkman417

I've heard a saying about Indiana and that is you have to go through it to get anywhere important (as you have I-90, 80, 74, 70 & 64 spanning the state East to West). So you might as well take the scenic route. Anyway, welcome to the forum! You should make a post introducing yourself in the Welcome board.

SM-G965U

Life in Paradise

Quote from: royo6022 on August 29, 2019, 06:18:43 PM
Being from Southern Indiana, I've always been curious about the uber-amounts of scenic highways Indiana has to offer. One I have especially been obsessing over for awhile now is the Ohio River Scenic Byway (IN-66) through Perry County. I wanted to drive on it for so long, especially after looking at the route itself on a map. I finally found the time last week and went for a little trip.

This highway was like one I have never traveled on before in my life. On some parts of the highway, you couldn't go over 20 mph because of the mountainous terrain and just the way the road was built. It is really neat to experience because you don't see roads built like that anymore. I've been through rural West Virginia in the Appalachians and this road still threw some crazier curves at me than the ones in WV. Not to mention the beautiful spacious countryside views as well as the riverside cruise as you get to the southern section of the curvy byway.

I highly recommend you take the journey, as this trip quenched my thirst for adventure (and some).

Did you take the side trip (about a mile or two) and go to Rome?  Rome is the original county seat where there is a 100+ year old courthouse and square with very little else there.  It's quite unusual.

SteveG1988

If you go to corydon on IN62 (also a scenic byway) make sure to stop by Butt Drugs, they have plenty of parking in the rear.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

royo6022

Quote from: Life in Paradise on August 30, 2019, 07:07:26 PM

Did you take the side trip (about a mile or two) and go to Rome?  Rome is the original county seat where there is a 100+ year old courthouse and square with very little else there.  It's quite unusual.

No I did not, but I live fairly close to the area... I should've looked into more of the historical markers throughout the area as I didn't realize how many there are along the highway. Rome is one place I need to go back to check out for sure - as well as the Colucci Log Cabins in Magnet, and Buzzard Roost.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

NWI_Irish96

I have done that section of 66 before, very nice.

Next time you get over to the New Albany/Jeffersonville area, try the old alignment of IN 62 between Edwardsville and New Albany. It's now called Corydon Pike. The old alignment of US 150 between Floyd's Knobs and New Albany, called Paoli Pike, is also interesting.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.