News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sam Houston Tollway - Northeast

Started by FreewayDan, February 20, 2011, 08:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreewayDan

February 26th is the day that the final segment of the Sam Houston Tollway opens.  Better have the EZ Tag, TxTag or TollTag if you're going to cruise it.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=resources%2Ftraffic&id=7951057

The link has video from ABC 13's helicopter of a small portion north of US 90 (Crosby Freeway).
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

The Premier

Too bad people that wants to pay with cash won't be able to use it. I would really hate to be someone who will have a $100 something bill for driving on it. :thumbdown:
Alex P. Dent

Dr Frankenstein

Indeed. So what if I'm from another state or country? I have to get an EZ Tag, drive it for the few days I'll be around, then return it. Lots of hassle, especially if I only plan to take it once.

Many other systems bill by licence plate number (with an additional fee if you do it regularly) if you don't have the tag... at least in Canada. Why fine instead of just sending an bill?

Alex

Could not get the other link to load, so here is another story on the opening:

Last section of Sam Houston Tollway opens Saturday

QuoteHOUSTON – A Houston-area tollway that's been in the works for decades is nearly finished.

The final section of the nearly $1.5 billion Sam Houston Tollway opens Saturday [02-26].

The Houston Chronicle reports it's the last stretch of the 88-mile ring road first conceived by Houston planning officials in 1952. The projected cost in 1960 was $150 million.

The first major section opened in 1988. The latest 13-mile stretch, on Houston's northeast side, runs from the Eastex Freeway to just south of Highway 90.

The Sam Houston Tollway is owned by the Texas Department of Transportation. The toll lanes are operated by the Harris County Toll Road Authority.

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett says if you're going to have development, you've got to have roads.

The Harris County Toll Road site update on it

FreewayDan

I found a video of the new Sam Houston Tollway-NE going north, then westbound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEeB_X_lmA
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

FreewayDan

Today, TxDot opened two direct connector lanes to eastbound Sam Houston Tollway-NE: one from northbound US 59, the other from southbound US 59.  They were supposed to open at the same time the new tollway was, but the ramps' construction times went into overtime.

http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-news-display.php?articles_id=1300483991
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

OCGuy81

Been a while since I've been to Houston.  Now that this entire ring road is complete, and is mostly tolled, does the free segment from IAH to I-45 still exist?  Or has TxDot just decided to toll the entire beltway for consistency?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 22, 2012, 10:04:10 AM
Been a while since I've been to Houston.  Now that this entire ring road is complete, and is mostly tolled, does the free segment from IAH to I-45 still exist?  Or has TxDot just decided to toll the entire beltway for consistency?

The free segments (from the Jessie Jones Bridge across the Houston Ship Channel to Wallisville Rd., and from T.C. Jester Blvd to US 59) still exist, and AFAIK there are no plans to toll those sections.

Only drawback I have against the finally completed northeast segment, is the restriction to EZ Tag for the mainlanes.  Couldn't they at least provided some cash toll drop booths at the ramp entrances, or will they resort to toll-by-mail for those not having transponders?

Anthony

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.