News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lake County, IL traffic problems thread

Started by dietermoreno, February 05, 2016, 06:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: tribar on February 29, 2016, 10:21:11 PM
Speaking of Lake County, why are they putting new lights at 12 & Ela? The existing ones were only 5-6 years old.

Because Lake Zurich got funding to add right turn lanes on US 12 at that intersection.  The project's plans can be found at this link (Item 123)..  Or this link, which should lead directly to the 37 MB file with the plans..

Sheet 42 of the plans does not show the signal being fully replaced, only modified.

quickshade

And yet they didn't even solve the main problem with the intersection, the need for dual turn lanes from Ela road onto 12 Westbound......

Revive 755

^ Rumor has it that is the far future improvement, along with converting the new right turn lane on WB US 12 to a future third through lane.

paulthemapguy

What do people think of the new configuration for the exit ramps of I-94 onto IL132 east into Six Flags?  Does it still get backed up as hell, or is it handling things quite nicely?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on March 01, 2016, 11:53:26 PM
And yet they didn't even solve the main problem with the intersection, the need for dual turn lanes from Ela road onto 12 Westbound......

they needed to change the left trun lane into the 3rd lane and put in some kind of jughandle or route the 3rd lane under the railroad

tribar

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 02, 2016, 08:50:46 PM
What do people think of the new configuration for the exit ramps of I-94 onto IL132 east into Six Flags?  Does it still get backed up as hell, or is it handling things quite nicely?

Any diagrams or pictures?

paulthemapguy

Quote from: tribar on March 02, 2016, 09:53:10 PM

Any diagrams or pictures?

Check it out.  They greatly extended the exit lanes/deceleration lanes.  Look at the 2015 imagery versus the 2012 imagery.  I remember being up there as a teenager and the I-94 northbound traffic would get backed up for thousands of feet.  Was wondering if anyone from the area had personal experience using that exit and how much the experience has improved.
https://goo.gl/maps/5wCnDnN2ukH2

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

The Ghostbuster

Maybe Lake County should have had additional roads constructed to relieve Interstate 94. Where these potential roads would have gone is another question.

JoePCool14

It seems to be helping traffic.

Side note, irrelevant though, GMSV has each and every row in the Six Flags parking lot covered. Why...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Revive 755

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 03, 2016, 03:15:08 PM
Maybe Lake County should have had additional roads constructed to relieve Interstate 94. Where these potential roads would have gone is another question.

Probably why US 41 was originally planned to be turned into a freeway for many years per the older transportation plans.

Mrt90

I drive by there every day at about 5:30 on my way home from work. It used to be a huge mess. Now it's just a mess. It still gets backed up but usually not a far as it used to.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 03, 2016, 07:22:01 PM
Side note, irrelevant though, GMSV has each and every row in the Six Flags parking lot covered. Why...

So people can remember where they parked...
:bigass:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tribar

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 10, 2016, 10:44:58 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 03, 2016, 07:22:01 PM

So people can remember where they parked...
:bigass:

From 5 years ago. 

hm insulators

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 06, 2016, 10:45:59 PM
Quote from: quickshade on February 06, 2016, 05:00:37 PM
The problem is nobody ever predicted the suburb boom that happened. It wasn't just one area blowing up, it was like overnight McHenry, Lake, Kane, Kendall counties exploded in population. The state, counties and cities had to act fast, but the problem was that the cities had to beef up their own roads and infrastructure to handle the increase in people/traffic. So did the counties and so did the state. This led to plans that didn't cross all 3 lines, so you solved one problem but created 3 more because you didn't communicate, coordinate and study everything, and even if you did the explosive growth would produce results that didn't reflect what actual traffic would be like.

Once the boom died, our economy went to, and while this gave time to properly study a lot of these problem areas nobody had the money to invest to fix them. Most of the major projects are about 10-20 years behind, sometimes more. And while money has become less of a worry Illinois still hasn't solved the political bickering that holds these projects back.

Now Lake county to their credit has been on a major push these past few years to get congestion projects done, and 2 of them use to be on my way to work and I have to give them credit they solved the congestion in those areas. But the problem is that so many projects need to get done that unless some major money gets thrown down on the table and the political back and forth stops the pace will always be behind what it should be.

To put things in perspective, 20 years ago, when I traveled with my dad a lot to job sites, we would take the "backroads" those roads would be nothing but cornfields and 2 way stops, with maybe an open field or old small town in them. Nowadays when someone says backroads, it's not the road with farm fields or open areas, it's through villages with the least amount of stoplights.

Now imagine if Lake county actually *gasp* raises their share of the gas tax to 4 cents a gallon.

Imagine all the riots over a mind boggling 4 cents a gallon. For my 15 gallon tank car, that would be a ridicilous 60 cents a fillup!!!

Agreed that Lake county does a decent job, but Lake county should just friggin raise the gas tax and help ITHSA build the 53 expansion north and the gas tax would help supplement fixing other roads as well.

Fixed it for you. :nod:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.