News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: Grzrd on November 20, 2012, 04:58:43 PM
In case anyone might want to attend the I-49 Unveiling Ceremony:

Unveiling Ceremony:
12 noon, Dec. 12, 2012
Joplin East Middle School
7501 E. 26th Street

Note: As I post this, the webpage has an I-44 shield instead of an I-49 shield:

edit - added above screen capture

(It's been fixed  :spin: )

Am I correct in my assumption, then, that I-49 will be officially and fully marked as such between I-44 and I-435/470 on December 12?
(C'mon Kansas City, fix that part of US 71 on your south side already!  :banghead: )

I do find it interesting that that MoDOT site identifies those lettered highways as county highways, too.

Mike

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on November 22, 2012, 09:29:40 AM
It's the old newspaper in me, but I HATE seeing Fort abbreviated in signs.

Then you will like this: ;)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: mgk920 on November 22, 2012, 10:30:24 AM
I do find it interesting that that MoDOT site identifies those lettered highways as county highways, too.
It doesn't. They're just disambiguating where the route is (which is of course unnecessary given the headings). "Cass County 283rd Street", "Vernon County Route TT", etc.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2012, 10:20:50 AM
My opinion is that they should built a new freeway connection to the existing US 71 at Carthage from MO 249 or upgrade the US 71 and MO 249 expressway and bring MO 249 up to standards.  This will eliminate the I-44 overlap and continuing through one lane ramps.

A little more than nine months have passed since I made the below post about MoDOT's long term plans for MO 249.  With the unveiling less than three weeks away, I have decided to post it again:

Quote from: Grzrd on February 02, 2012, 03:58:10 PM
I became curious about MoDOT's long-term plans for the MO 249/ MO 171 corridor and how it relates to I-49.
I called the Southwest District Office, eventually spoke with one of the engineers, and had a great conversation.  First, MoDOT is probably looking at a ten-year horizon before a location study would be initiated.  The current thinking is that three primary options for the eventual I-49 routing exist for the location study:
1. Keep the I-44/I-49 overlap; however, this would necessitate an upgrade for the eastern I-44/I-49 interchange from a cloverleaf to a directional interchange.
2. Use the MO 249/ MO 171 corridor and upgrade the current MO 171/MO 249 corridor by finding a way to remove the presence of traffic signals at interchange ramps at US 71/MO 171/MO 96 near Carthage, as well as upgrade the MO 171/ I-49 interchange.
3. Build a new terrain connection that would basically be a "straight line" from the 171 "bend" west of the Hwy 96 interchange to the "90 degree bend" north of Carthage.
Other options could manifest themselves during the course of the study.  Again, this all is on a loooooong term horizon.

US71

Quote from: NE2 on November 22, 2012, 11:36:16 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 22, 2012, 10:30:24 AM
It doesn't. They're just disambiguating where the route is (which is of course unnecessary given the headings). "Cass County 283rd Street", "Vernon County Route TT", etc.

I can sort of understand the confusion: Secondary Routes generally don't cross county lines. Plus back in the days of cut-out shields, the signs had the county name:

State Road
    TT
Vernon

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on November 22, 2012, 09:29:40 AM
It's the old newspaper in me, but I HATE seeing Fort abbreviated in signs.

You would hate some of the things Missouri does on signs.

"Ft Smith Ar", "Tulsa Ok"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

intelati49

:D Driving back to KC today, and at about exit 68(?) Northbound, there was an uncovered I-49 Shield :clap:. Bad news though, it's neutered.  :angry:

roadman65

Is Missouri going to build a WELCOME CENTER along I-49 north of the AL Line?  I noticed that Arkansas has one for US 71 entering the Natural State from MO, so I would figure that MO would get an idea to build one being that there are no REST AREAS along the current US 71 in Missouri south of Kansas City.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2012, 07:48:59 PM
Is Missouri going to build a WELCOME CENTER along I-49 north of the AL Line?
Alkansaw?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2012, 07:48:59 PM
Is Missouri going to build a WELCOME CENTER along I-49 north of the AR Line?

Too early to say most likely, though there is a small info center in Pineville at US 71 and Route H

route56

[Wheel of Fortune Puzzle SFX]

Before and After... BGS style:

34465 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

45022 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

44092 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

45026 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

If what MoDOT is saying on Facebook is correct, the road will be signed Interstate 49 not Interstate Missouri 49

intelati49

Quote from: US71 on November 27, 2012, 05:44:43 PM
If what MoDOT is saying on Facebook is correct, the road will be signed Interstate 49 not Interstate Missouri 49

Yes sir.

Quote from: intelati49 on November 25, 2012, 07:38:23 PM
:D Driving back to KC today, and at about exit 68(?) Northbound, there was an uncovered I-49 Shield :clap:. Bad news though, it's neutered.  :angry:

rickmastfan67

Does anybody happen to have a complete list of the exit numbers for I-49 yet posted?  This is mostly for the CHM project.

US71

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 28, 2012, 04:44:32 PM
Does anybody happen to have a complete list of the exit numbers for I-49 yet posted?  This is mostly for the CHM project.

I think Richie does. If not, I have most of them.

route56

I-49/US 71 exit guide, with the exit numbers from I-44 to the Triangle:

http://route56.com/exitguides/i49.html
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: route56 on December 02, 2012, 01:36:02 PM
I-49/US 71 exit guide, with the exit numbers from I-44 to the Triangle:

http://route56.com/exitguides/i49.html

Here is what I have from Pineville to Joplin

Exit #/Road/Destination

5      Route H      Pineville-Noel

7      Route EE      Lanagan

10      MO 76      Anderson

16      MO 59/Bus US 71  Goodman/ Anderson (Southbound Only/ Bus 71 will not change to BL 49)

17      Route B C      Goodman

20      Route AA/ BL 49      (start of Neosho Bus Loop)

24      US 60      Seneca-Neosho

27      MO 86 / BL 49   Racine-Neosho (End Neosho Bus Loop)

30      Iris Road      

33      BL 49/ MO 175   Gateway Dr  (Begin Joplin Business Loop)

35      Route V      Diamond

NB 39A   Route FF      32nd St  (Southbound will be Exit 39 /non-suffixed)
NB 39B   MO 249 North   Joplin
NB 39C   I-44 West      Tulsa

Scott5114

Guess it's time to figure out what to do with the I-49 page on Wikipedia...

O Tamandua

Funny thing...the highway department "re-bagged" all the I-49 signs along U.S 71 in Newton and McDonald Counties (probably farther) with black, tightly-wrapped covering replacing the more transparent blue ones (one of which was ripped off for awhile near McDonald County High School).  They've put I-49 shields in the same covering along the about-to-be-Interstate 49 as well.

apjung

Scott5114

I ended up copying from the US-71 in Missouri article, since I found out about that version of the list after the fact...

Unfortunately a lot of the entries don't square with what David and Richie have posted above.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2012, 06:44:29 PM
I ended up copying from the US-71 in Missouri article, since I found out about that version of the list after the fact...

Unfortunately a lot of the entries don't square with what David and Richie have posted above.

I stand by my exit list: it is built from actual photos of exit signs.

I'm sure Richie's is just as thoroughly researched.

apeman33

Anyone in the area planning on attending? I'm thinking about going since that will be Wednesday and my schedule should allow for a visit there, provided I get set for the day in time. I might even offer to take photos for the Nevada paper. I haven't heard if they've planned to send someone there or if they're just going to do their own thing off press releases.

Scott5114

I would if I were closer/didn't have to sleep during the day, but as it stands...

US71

Quote from: apeman33 on December 09, 2012, 02:20:52 AM
Anyone in the area planning on attending? I'm thinking about going since that will be Wednesday and my schedule should allow for a visit there, provided I get set for the day in time. I might even offer to take photos for the Nevada paper. I haven't heard if they've planned to send someone there or if they're just going to do their own thing off press releases.

Tentatively yes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.