News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: US71 on September 27, 2013, 09:28:01 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on September 26, 2013, 09:54:08 PM
MoDOT has issued a press release regarding a September 30 public meeting to discuss a new I-44/49 interchange at Prigmore Avenue (County Road 190) east of Joplin:

The Project
* An overpass at Prigmore Road (County Road 190) will be converted to an interchange with straight, directional ramps.
* Two roundabouts will be built -- one on each side of I-44/49 on Prigmore Avenue at the end of the ramps.
* Prigmor Avenue will be resurfaced between the new interchange and 7th Street (Route 66) to the north.
* Estimated cost for engineering, purchasing land and construction is $11.1 million.
MoDOT will seek bids in the fall of 2014, with construction in 2015.

Courtesy MoDOT's Facebook page:

That's one thing that I've always loved about roundabouts - they allow an amazing degree of flexibility in roadway and intersection design and layout.  Try doing something like that with good efficiency and simplicity with conventional intersections.

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on September 27, 2013, 11:02:28 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 27, 2013, 09:28:01 AM

That's one thing that I've always loved about roundabouts - they allow an amazing degree of flexibility in roadway and intersection design and layout.  Try doing something like that with good efficiency and simplicity with conventional intersections.
Easy, a pair of folded diamond ramps, and two four-way intersections.

M86

Quote from: Steve on September 28, 2013, 01:52:03 AM
Easy, a pair of folded diamond ramps, and two four-way intersections.

Agreed.  It's way too close to the I-49 South/MO 249... If you have the room, design it right! 

Don't make it like the I-44 to I-49 southbound ramp.  And then risk your life trying to get over to escape the 32nd Street "Exit Only" lane.

ShawnP

Might be a dead ended Interstate but I say go ahead and build it while the building rates are still low.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2013, 07:18:51 PM
This video report reports on the conversion of the 30th road overpass near Lamar into an interchange at Interstate 49:
MODOT Project Manager Sean Matlock looks at Barton County's latest construction project ....
Crews will build on and off ramps to convert the 30th road overpass into an interchange at Interstate 49 ....
"They saw this as something to decrease the congestion at the 160 and I-49 interchange," says Matlock ....
The project is set to be complete by the end of December.

This article reports that, although some work remains, the 30th Street interchange is now open to traffic:

A new interchange south of Lamar will help drivers gain easier access to the highway. People traveling north and south on I-49 will now be able to exit directly onto 30th Street, making their travel time a lot shorter ....
Work isn't 100% complete. Jim Conley with the Missouri Department of Transportation says workers will continue to cleanup the interchange for the next several weeks.
"We still have a little bit of work to do out there. We have some signs to put up, but yesterday the weather wasn't cooperating. It was really windy, we couldn't get the big signs up, but it is open to traffic now," said Jim Conley, MODOT Engineer.
The interchange cost about $1.6 million ....
MODOT workers are already setting their sights on the next project. They are getting ready to build a crossover at 1st Street near Barton County Memorial Hospital. Employees hope to start construction next spring.

route56

Updating exit guide... Until someone ground-verifies it, I'll mark it as exit 74.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: route56 on November 07, 2013, 12:43:40 AM
Updating exit guide... Until someone ground-verifies it, I'll mark it as exit 74.

The video report seemed to indicate it's #74. I cross-posted it to  Mid America Roads on Facebook.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on December 27, 2013, 08:06:30 PM
Quote from: dariusb on December 27, 2013, 01:36:05 AM
With all these road projects, Texarkana will look very different in the next 20 years.
This would be the perfect time for Love's or Pilot to start buying up land for new truck stops
Quote from: dariusb on December 30, 2013, 03:06:59 AM
In a way they've already started because the Love's truck stop in Leary just west of town hasn't been there long.
(above quotes from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)

This December 24 article reports that Love's has also recently purchased a new location in Neosho near Missouri's recently designated I-49:

Steve Kenny, Becky Cobb and Mike West with Red Carpet Real Estate said Love's Travel Stops and Country Stores has purchased a parcel of land near the intersection of Interstate 49 and Missouri Highway 86 Business in order to build a new travel stop ....
"It's got 86 on the north, Hammer Road on the east, five lanes of traffic," he said. "Just an ideal place with the lanes they have out there, turning lanes for the trucks."
Kenny said groundbreaking is slated to begin some time this coming spring. He deferred questions about the size of the facility and the timeframe it would be finished to a Love's representative ....
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, Okla., Love's Travel Stops and Country Stores began in 1964, when Tom and Judy Love incorporated the Musket Corporation, the predecessor to Love's Country Stores, and lease an abandoned filling station in Watonga, Okla., for $5,000.
The first Country Store opened in Guymon, Okla., in 1972. By 1978, Love's had expanded to 60 locations in small communities in Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. In 1981, the company added the first interstate travel stop along I-40 in Amarillo, Texas, added a full range of gifts and novelties to its retail locations in 1985, and added the first quick-service restaurant in a location with a Taco Bell Express in an Oklahoma City travel stop in 1992.
Today, Love's operates more than 300 locations and employs 10,000 people in 39 states. The company has annual sales of more than $26 billion and continues to grow at a rate of about 20 locations a year.

With the growth rate of 20 locations a year, they are probably checking out other possible locations along the entire I-49 corridor.

US71

Likely MO 86 & BL 49 at I-49. White Oak Station recently bought out an independent c-store at that location

MB886

roadman65

It is interesting to see that BL I-49 at Joplin is without directional headers where concurrent with MO 171.  GSV has current coverage along the MO 171 freeway near Webb City and some on SB I-49 at MO 96 & 171 in Carthage of the new recent signage for the newest MO interstate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on February 09, 2014, 12:11:09 PM
It is interesting to see that BL I-49 at Joplin is without directional headers where concurrent with MO 171.  GSV has current coverage along the MO 171 freeway near Webb City and some on SB I-49 at MO 96 & 171 in Carthage of the new recent signage for the newest MO interstate.

Actually, BL 49 has no banners anywhere along the Joplin-Carthage corridor.

BL 49 at Zora Road

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on January 24, 2014, 06:21:45 PM
I recently wrote MTOD about there part of the bypass and here is what they said. With the Federal money uncertain and not enough state money to finish there part,  they will move the money that is planned in 2014 STIP to general funds because it doesn't make sense to do part of it. But they are looking to see if an Initiative petition process moves forward with the state of Missouri to put it up to voters to finish the Bella Vista Bypass.
(above quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)

This Feb. 5 article reports that the Missouri legislature is currently considering whether to put a one-cent sales tax increase before Missouri voters that would, among other things, help fund completion of the Bella Vista Bypass; if the bill bogs down in the legislature, then a group is ready to start a petition drive to put the measure on the ballot:

Missouri transportation officials are laying out their case in the state Capitol for future highway funding, seeking a 1-cent sales tax increase to help cover an expected shortfall.
Without that, or some other funding increase, Missouri Department of Transportation Director Dave Nichols said, the department would not be able to fund bridge and road repairs.
"It is going to deteriorate unless we come up with something," Nichols said. "We are not going to be able to afford what Missourians desire in their transportation system."
In Southwest Missouri, that would mean no money to complete the Bella Vista bypass in McDonald County or a bypass around the west side of Joplin, officials said. Some other improvement projects, such as turn lanes and new intersections, would not happen, either.
On Tuesday, legislators took up a bill that would put the 1-cent sales tax before voters. A similar plan was proposed last year in the General Assembly, but it dead-ended in the final days of the session.
Separately, a group is considering a petition drive that would put the tax proposal on the ballot. The group is not yet gathering petition signatures, waiting to see if the Legislature will call the election.
Bill McKenna, treasurer of Missourians for Safe Transportation and New Jobs, said it would cost less and save time if the Legislature would act on the proposal. But he said his group is ready to resume working if transportation funding bogs down in the Legislature.
The group would need at least 170,000 signatures by May 4 to get the measure on the November ballot ....
Dan Salisbury, assistant district engineer for MoDOT in Joplin ....
Salisbury said committed projects will move forward, but projects such as the completion of the Bella Vista bypass in McDonald County and the construction of a bypass on the west side of Joplin will not without additional funding.
"We have a little money available for the Bella Vista bypass, but not nearly enough," he said. "There is no possible way to provide the extra funds to complete it.

Presumably, MoDOT would be able to build a four-lane BVB if Missouri voters pass the measure.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on February 09, 2014, 12:55:28 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 09, 2014, 12:11:09 PM

Actually, BL 49 has no banners anywhere along the Joplin-Carthage corridor.

BL 49 at Zora Road

Missouri doesn't usually (if ever) use directional signs on business routes.  I-44B in Joplin doesn't have directional signs either.  I don't know why they omit them - it makes things confusing.

txstateends

Quote from: Grzrd on February 10, 2014, 09:02:11 AM
[...] no money to complete [...] a bypass around the west side of Joplin [...]
and the construction of a bypass on the west side of Joplin [...]

I hadn't heard of this project.  Where would it go, and is it connected at all to I-49 or some other corridor?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Brandon on August 05, 2010, 01:43:19 PM
Quote from: ShawnP on August 05, 2010, 12:46:16 PM
Plus it if I remember right you can't end a Two Digit Interstate at a Three Digit Interstate

I-88 ends at I-290.
I-69 ends at I-465.
I-97 ends at I-895 (I-695?).
I-64 currently "ends" at I-270.
I-64 also ends at I-264 and I-664.
I-87 ends at I-278.

Therefore, I-49 can end at I-435 and I-470.

I-64 now goes all the way west to I-70 at Wentzville, MO.

You can also add an even worse end to the list: I-75 in Miami ends at a state highway!

On the subject of I-49, I have heard that apparently there has been approval for adding bridges at the signals along US 71 north of I-435, therefore it might be possible that I-49 will end in downtown K.C. fairly soon .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Grzrd

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 10, 2014, 01:45:18 PM
On the subject of I-49, I have heard that apparently there has been approval for adding bridges at the signals along US 71 north of I-435, therefore it might be possible that I-49 will end in downtown K.C. fairly soon .....

Will you please provide links to information regarding the possibility of the bridges?

Quote from: bugo on January 29, 2012, 10:57:40 PM
The demographics of the neighborhood could change.  Residents die, new residents who have different views of the freeway will be born, residents will move into the neighborhood.

Although this Feb. 16 article focuses on the area slightly north of the three stop lights, it does suggest a slowly changing racial demographic in the area:

We headed to Beacon Hill. The University of Missouri-Kansas City is adding housing on Troost Avenue near Truman Medical Center for students and health care workers. Private investors are building homes valued at more than $300,000 near Watkins Drive with a view of downtown's skyline.
The investment is attracting new residents and collapsing the city's longstanding racial divide.
In 10 years more people may weigh moving into the urban core than out.

Who knows?  The new residents may prefer an expanded Bruce R. Watkins Boulevard.  :bigass:

bugo

I've been predicting a demographic change in this neighborhood that will lead to completion of I-49 in midtown KC for at least 15 years now.  There are naysayers who say it will NEVER happen but I'll be proved right.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Grzrd on March 13, 2014, 05:18:56 PM
Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 10, 2014, 01:45:18 PM

Will you please provide links to information regarding the possibility of the bridges?

Quote from: bugo on January 29, 2012, 10:57:40 PM
The demographics of the neighborhood could change.  Residents die, new residents who have different views of the freeway will be born, residents will move into the neighborhood.

Although this Feb. 16 article focuses on the area slightly north of the three stop lights, it does suggest a slowly changing racial demographic in the area:

We headed to Beacon Hill. The University of Missouri-Kansas City is adding housing on Troost Avenue near Truman Medical Center for students and health care workers. Private investors are building homes valued at more than $300,000 near Watkins Drive with a view of downtown's skyline.
The investment is attracting new residents and collapsing the city's longstanding racial divide.
In 10 years more people may weigh moving into the urban core than out.

Who knows?  The new residents may prefer an expanded Bruce R. Watkins Boulevard.  :bigass:

I will look for something official. The subject came up at a "mini road meet" that we had at the Florida Strawberry festival. I will ask the source where they got their info!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

mvak36

Ran across this on Wikipedia today (since it's wikipedia, I don't really trust the validity of it.):
QuoteUpdate: February 2014 - Interstate 49 in Missouri Future Northern End will be at I-70 after I-49 Freeway between 75th Street and U.S. 56 West/Swope Parkway Opens up in 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_49#Kansas_City
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Ned Weasel

Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2014, 10:56:26 AM
Ran across this on Wikipedia today (since it's wikipedia, I don't really trust the validity of it.):
QuoteUpdate: February 2014 - Interstate 49 in Missouri Future Northern End will be at I-70 after I-49 Freeway between 75th Street and U.S. 56 West/Swope Parkway Opens up in 2015.

That's either trolling or just completely stupid wishful thinking on the part of the Wikipedia poster.  A construction project of that magnitude, that hasn't been officially announced yet, won't "open up" in 2015 unless a time machine is involved.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

J N Winkler

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 04, 2014, 10:35:40 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2014, 10:56:26 AM

That's either trolling or just completely stupid wishful thinking on the part of the Wikipedia poster.  A construction project of that magnitude, that hasn't been officially announced yet, won't "open up" in 2015 unless a time machine is involved.

The odd capitalization leads me to suspect someone has gotten the wrong end of the stick.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bugo

The odd capitalization is very Sawblade-esque.

Grzrd

This Feb. 5 article reports that the Missouri legislature is currently considering whether to put a one-cent sales tax increase before Missouri voters that would, among other things, help fund completion of the Bella Vista Bypass; if the bill bogs down in the legislature, then a group is ready to start a petition drive to put the measure on the ballot

This April 1 article reports that it looks like the House will pass the measure and that the Senate should have sufficient time to also pass the measure and allow Missouri voters to vote on the proposed sales tax increase in November:

A 10-year, 1-cent sales tax proposal potentially worth $8 billion and designed to fill the Missouri Department of Transportation's increasingly shrinking coffers appears to be on the move again.
On Tuesday, Rep. Dave Schatz, R-Sullivan, said the measure – House Joint Resolution 68– should pass in the House. The resolution is a close copy of a measure that was narrowly defeated during the closing days of 2013 session, said Schatz, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
Although the measure still would need to pass the Senate, Schatz said he thinks Gov. Jay Nixon would sign the legislation, which would put the tax increase before voters on the November ballot.
Supporters of the tax are confident this year will be different. Last year, Schatz said, the measure did not make it to the Senate until late in the session, allowing a small number of opponents to filibuster and kill the bill.
This year, Schatz is confident legislators see the dire need for improvements to interstates, federal and state highways, bridges and other routes.

However, the petition drive is no longer an alternative option because it was withdrawn in February:

Kevin Flannery, a spokesman for the Secretary of State's office said an initiative petition that would achieve the same end was withdrawn in early February.

edit

Quote from: txstateends on February 10, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
[...] no money to complete [...] a bypass around the west side of Joplin [...]
and the construction of a bypass on the west side of Joplin [...]
I hadn't heard of this project.  Where would it go, and is it connected at all to I-49 or some other corridor?

I recently started a thread about the project:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11939.msg288273#msg288273

mvak36

Cool. Hopefully it'll pass and Missouri will complete I-49 to Arkansas :bigass:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.