News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

MoDOT to try freeze indicating reflectors on I-55 near Cape

Started by Revive 755, January 14, 2010, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

mightyace

Sounds like a good idea.   :clap:

More states should try this.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Well this is why the MUTCD allows for experimental traffic control devices.  Missouri is the first guinea pig, then if it works there, a couple more states try it, and then it gradually gets brought to the FHWA's attention for future inclusion as a trial measure.  If it still works, it becomes part of the official document.  One problem - blue is not really an assigned color except for guide signs.  So will it create any confusion?

thenetwork

Oddly enough, in Grand Junction, CO, they have had "Freeze Reflectors" on the CO-340 (Broadway) bridge over the Colorado River for years (The accompanying 'Ice Alert' signs to describe the reflectors looked like they were 10+ years old).  However, in the last 6 months, the signs and the reflectors were removed, but never replaced.

I have to look to see if I even got pics of the sign and/or reflectors. But for the times I've seen them in action, I thought it was a great deal and they did work well.

Revive 755

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 14, 2010, 06:33:53 PM
One problem - blue is not really an assigned color except for guide signs.  So will it create any confusion?

I recall an old traffic control quiz online having blue reflectors used to indicate the presence of a fire hydrant, so I don't know.

Missouri had removed most of the in-pavement reflectors after having problems with them coming loose and causing injuries/vehicular damage.

Alps

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 14, 2010, 11:57:46 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 14, 2010, 06:33:53 PM
One problem - blue is not really an assigned color except for guide signs.  So will it create any confusion?

I recall an old traffic control quiz online having blue reflectors used to indicate the presence of a fire hydrant, so I don't know.

That sounds right - but actually, the MUTCD does not cover those specifically because they are not traffic control devices when used as such.  I believe this is explicitly stated in the Federal Register of the NPA for the MUTCD.

shoptb1

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 14, 2010, 12:29:28 PM
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1602064.html

Has this been installed in other locations previously?  The article says "Bollinger and others at MoDOT studied the Bluestar Roadway System and its success at other locations, such as Paulding County, Ohio, Kent, Wash., and Calhoun County, Mich", but it also gives the impression that this is the first implementation of this type. 

Does anyone know what was previously implemented in the aforementioned locations?

rawmustard

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 15, 2010, 09:01:58 AM
Has this been installed in other locations previously?  The article says "Bollinger and others at MoDOT studied the Bluestar Roadway System and its success at other locations, such as Paulding County, Ohio, Kent, Wash., and Calhoun County, Mich", but it also gives the impression that this is the first implementation of this type. 

Does anyone know what was previously implemented in the aforementioned locations?

I know Calhoun County installed some kind of system someplace along Michigan Avenue between Marshall and Albion but have not seen it during freezing conditions, nor have I seen it anywhere else along the county's roads.

Scott5114

One of the comments on the article page wonders whether motorists will see the blue reflectors and slam on the brakes, thus launching themselves into a skid.

Reading the rest of the comments reminds me why I very seldom bother to read comments on road articles...they're mainly "omg this will dumb down the driving process!!!11!" and "this costs money! why are they spending money!". Bleh.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Here in Grand Junction, Colorado, the actual Freeze Reflectors were mounted on every 2nd or 3rd lightpole, and the sign indicating the reflectors on the bridge ahead were so subtle, I don't think that many people freaked out on the bridges (CO-340 and US-50 over the Colorado River) when they saw the reflectors were blue, or whether they even paid attention to the reflectors in general, which is probably why they pulled them altogether.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.