US 54 in Missouri: now considered for I-54 instead of I-570?

Started by Revive 755, March 15, 2009, 02:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Came across this one tonight from Jefferson City's long-range plan in a list of regional "illustrative needs" initiatives (pretty much projects more than one city is dreaming for):

"I‐54_ from Hannibal , Missouri to I‐44 at Lebanon, Missouri"

(http://www.jeffcitymo.org/cd/campo/documents/CAMPOApprovedMTPExecutiveSummary.pdf, Page 8/8))

I know there is (was?) long range plans to four lane US 54 east of Mexico, and MO 19 from US 54 to US 61, but this is the first time I've seen any semi-official wishes for upgrading to interstate standards beyond the Jefferson City to I-70 segment.

njroadhorse

That would be great to tie in with the new proposed I-72 across Missouri.  Shame that it's such a blatant numbering violation  :pan:  Still better than a really long 3di
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

corco

an I-53 that runs from Lebanon to Hannibal and then up I-172 with future extension to I-74 in Galesburg could actually be pretty cool, but I-54? Yuck

njroadhorse

Quote from: corco on March 15, 2009, 11:53:59 AM
an I-53 that runs from Lebanon to Hannibal and then up I-172 with future extension to I-74 in Galesburg could actually be pretty cool, but I-54? Yuck
I actually like that idea better, but have it run all the way to Minneapolis via US 61 ;-)
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Revive 755

Quote from: corco on March 15, 2009, 11:53:59 AM

I'd rather see I-53 for the Avenue of the Saints and US 67 in Missouri, but I guess I-53 would be the best choice if the route would get extended into Illinois since that state already has US 51.

I think any future interstate route using the IL 336 corridor would probably go towards Peoria over Galesburg.  US 34 west of Galesburg would be better as a rerouted I-74 to Des Moines, and the I-74/US 67 corridors better for another north-south interstate.

DrZoidberg

Besides Juneau, AK....is Jefferson City, MO the only state capitol not served by the interstate system?
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Stephane Dumas

there also Dover DE although then DE-1 provided a freeway link with I-95 and DE-1 is often mentionned as part of a future I-101

-Pierre, South Dakota
-Carson City, Nevada but the freeway gap in construction will link it to I-80 and it's currently the unsigned I-580

Revive 755

It's interesting though that there were attempts to get interstates to Dover, Pierre, and Jefferson City:

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/1970req.html

I don't suppose the list of what was actually approved around then is lying around online somewhere and I just haven't found it tonight?

mukade

Making IL 336 would be a fantastic waste of money. It is very lightly travelled, and has no need to be an Interstate route (traffic volumes mostly in the mid-2000s) whether to Peoria or Galesburg.

TheHighwayMan3561

njroadhorse: Much of US 61 north of Winona (where the current expressway ends) is historic towns and bluff country. I don't expect any more upgrades in terms of increased capacity to that route.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

leifvanderwall

I think the solution is having US 54 from Jefferson City a part of a longer north-south route. I really think a route from Little Rock, AR to Minneapolis would do the trick and the proposed road would follow the US 65 and US 63 corridors as well. If the road from Jefferson City to I-70 is called I-54 what would the rest of US 54 be. This is the same conflict as in Wisconsin with US 41.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.