News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Historical SHS books

Started by rmooty77, December 22, 2023, 10:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmooty77

Hey y'all,
I was wondering if anyone has copies of any old/historical SHS books?  I have a copy of the 1979 version with the Revision 2 signs included.  If anyone is interested, I have scanned the book and would be willing to share it.  I have been told by an authoritative source that there was an SHS as early as 1948 and an US and meteric version in the mid 1960's.  I am fascinated by the old MUTCDs that Dr. Hawkins posted on his website.  I would love to see some of the old SHS books too!

Thanks!

froggie

Presuming that SHS = Standard Highway Signs?

jpdailey14

I was able to find on Google Books the 1948, 1961, and 1971 versions of SHS (they appear to be scans from various university libraries) as well as the Standard Alphabets.

I think the 1978/1979 SHS is there also, but I am unsure as to its completeness.

Quote from: rmooty77 on December 22, 2023, 10:18:16 AM
Hey y'all,
I was wondering if anyone has copies of any old/historical SHS books?  I have a copy of the 1979 version with the Revision 2 signs included.  If anyone is interested, I have scanned the book and would be willing to share it.  I have been told by an authoritative source that there was an SHS as early as 1948 and an US and meteric version in the mid 1960's.  I am fascinated by the old MUTCDs that Dr. Hawkins posted on his website.  I would love to see some of the old SHS books too!

Thanks!

rmooty77

Awesome, thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I was just doing a standard Google search and got nothing.  Learn something new daily!

stanwoods

Thanks for such info! I was also looking for such books and used Google to find nothing. Now I know where to look for. I like reading and always try to look for something new and interesting, and historical books have always been my favourite. I have a literature course at my university, and there we read and discussed different books; maybe one day it will be an SHS book. And also, there are tasks to write a paper on a book, and with that https://gradesfixer.com/lit/ helps me a lot because there are provided with a lot of useful and informative examples o literature, and it always inspires me. If someone here is a student, too, that site is a good one to use.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.