News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Oranges in NJ

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 30, 2014, 04:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I'm heading to the Oranges in NJ from NYC via I-95 and I-280. Any goodies left?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Roadrunner75

This interchange between I-280 and the Garden State Parkway in East Orange is always a good time:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.756945,-74.202497&spn=0.005494,0.013078&t=h&z=17 
For a good challenge, attempt to enter 280 or the GSP at this interchange from local streets using only posted signage.

A short distance east on 280 in Newark will find the mainline abruptly ending at a light (while 280 essentially exits itself) for a planned connection to an unbuilt freeway (NJ 75).

Alps

When are you heading here? We should meet up for lunch, dinner, or roads.
When the mainline ends at a light, turn left, make the next right, and park after the rail crossing. You can walk through a gap in the fence on the left and see original NJ 58, most of which is now the substandard I-280 approach to the drawbridge.
Drive Raymond Blvd. down through downtown Newark.
Original I-280 shield still stands - I believe - at the I-280 EB entrance just west of the Parkway.
Old white Essex County signs - still a few around East Orange and even one in West Orange. My CR 508, Essex, and NJ 124 pages all have them.

Seriously, we should meet up.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2014, 09:37:01 PM
When are you heading here? We should meet up for lunch, dinner, or roads.
When the mainline ends at a light, turn left, make the next right, and park after the rail crossing. You can walk through a gap in the fence on the left and see original NJ 58, most of which is now the substandard I-280 approach to the drawbridge.
Drive Raymond Blvd. down through downtown Newark.
Original I-280 shield still stands - I believe - at the I-280 EB entrance just west of the Parkway.
Old white Essex County signs - still a few around East Orange and even one in West Orange. My CR 508, Essex, and NJ 124 pages all have them.

Seriously, we should meet up.

Hmmmm, but yeah definitely road stuff!  I'm not sure actually, whenever I get a free moment with work. I drove through last week and posted some pics on my Flickr so I plan to go back. 

I am heading up to Boston soon.  Going to try to get the MA-9 WB @ MA-30 signage that is left (I hope) and Clarendon Street signage with the Mass Pike and any other goodies!!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NJRoadfan

Try not to getting shot or car jacked in East Orange. The area around the GSP is pretty rough.

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 05, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Try not to getting shot or car jacked in East Orange. The area around the GSP is pretty rough.

Heading into Newark in the non-downtown areas is probably a bad idea as well, although, as said before, unless you are doing something dumb in bad areas you should be fine...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Just stay in your car and keep driving and you'll be fine. I've never had a problem in those neighborhoods during the day. I've even been off the main roads in Newark to some degree. Keep an eye on your surroundings, and if you're not sure, it's always safer to blow a stop sign or red light than to be a sitting duck.

mrsman

Excuse me - I don't want to sound facetious- but how is a drive from NYC to East Orange considered a roadtrip?  It's only 20 miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.