News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Not super melty, so we'll still have a white Christmas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on December 24, 2022, 02:22:22 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on December 24, 2022, 01:20:26 AM
And those people wishing for snow/ice for the holidays are the very same people that complain about travel disruptions caused by them when they do get it. 

No I don't.  I love driving in the snow.

Not me. I absolutely hate it. Hate the snow. Hate the ice. Despise the drivers who think a 4WD means they're protected from hidden ice. I'd consider moving back to the Midwest if there was decent train and transit service. But since I'm retired and still need a car almost everywhere in this country, I moved to the desert. I don't miss the snow and ice and cold at all. Especially during a week like this.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jgb191 on December 24, 2022, 01:20:26 AMAnd those people wishing for snow/ice for the holidays are the very same people that complain about travel disruptions caused by them when they do get it.

Personally, I think a lot of the demand for Christmas travel comes from people who work jobs with inflexible leave policies and don't realize how frail the air passenger transport system is, especially for journeys that connect through hubs (such as Chicago O'Hare) that are very difficult to expand as required to minimize weather-related delays.

Quote from: kphoger on December 24, 2022, 02:22:22 PMNo I don't.  I love driving in the snow.

I liked it when I was out in it yesterday and could test that ABS still works after 28 years.  Now I'm ready for it to melt so I can get on with washing the salt off the underbody.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

Merry Christmas!

Wichita has a white Christmas this year per the NWS definition (snow on the ground on Christmas morning).  However, shoots of grass are starting to show as the sun continues to work on Thursday's snow.  It is currently 23° F with a forecast high of 33° F, and may go as high as 60° F this coming Thursday.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jgb191

And those people wishing for snow/ice for the holidays are the very same people that complain about travel disruptions caused by them when they do get it. 

Regarding my statement above:  Many of my grade school classmates always wished for snow on Christmas while completely oblivious to its treachery until one of them lost a parent (while driving on snow) in a multi-car pileup during the once-in-a-lifetime Christmas 2004 Winter Storm event when Corpus Christi got their first snow since 1941 and second since 1895.  My city received a record-obliterating 3.8 inches of snow on the night of Christmas Eve 2004 when the moisture-saturated air from the Gulf of Mexico dipped slightly below freezing.  It was their most heart-breaking Christmas ever and since then they hoped it would be the city's last snowfall in our lifetime; there were many injuries and several fatalities on the road that night.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

US 89

I had a White Christmas in Salt Lake City going by the official NWS definition. Haven't had that in several years. It actually has not snowed more than a dusting since the 15th, but that was at the tail end of a very impressive storm cycle that dropped a foot of snow in the valley over a period of several days. Snow depth maxed out at 7 inches, but the past couple weeks have been so cold that it has been very slow to melt. 2 inches remained on Christmas morning.

Now if Christmas were the 27th, it would be quite a different situation. After two weeks of subfreezing or barely-above-freezing highs, the high on Christmas Day itself was 43 and we got up to 47 today. Pretty much everything in the lower valleys has now melted.

Something similar happened a couple years back, where there was a ton of snow on the ground from a previous storm...but on the 23rd, a warm wet storm came through and the rain melted it all off.

therocket

The high today was 81 F, but it looks like there will be rain tomorrow.

Flint1979

I found out the spot in Michigan that got the most snow in this past storm. It was a grand total of 37 inches a little southeast of Mancelona, also Sault Ste. Marie got 35 inches.

Flint1979

Actually I found a spot in the Upper Peninsula south of Houghton they got 42.8 inches.

webny99

Buffalo once again got hammered with several feet of snow and several days of blizzard conditions, while 80 miles east we got hardly more than a dusting. Conditions were poor on Friday with light snow and heavy winds, but it was nothing like the Buffalo area.

We're used to large disparities in lake effect snowfall, but I'm still not sure there's ever been such great disparity in conditions between two cities so close to each other.

gonealookin

34°F with rain changing over to wet snow.  It looks like we will be back and forth between rain and snow at 6500' for the next several days.  There should be loads of wet Sierra cement falling on the ski slopes and reservoir-feeding mountains.

Quote from: skluth on December 24, 2022, 04:15:02 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 24, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

No I don't.  I love driving in the snow.

Not me. I absolutely hate it. Hate the snow. Hate the ice. Despise the drivers who think a 4WD means they're protected from hidden ice. I'd consider moving back to the Midwest if there was decent train and transit service. But since I'm retired and still need a car almost everywhere in this country, I moved to the desert. I don't miss the snow and ice and cold at all. Especially during a week like this.

I don't mind driving in the snow, but my hesitation about doing it is having to keep an eye on the rearview mirror any time I'm stopped at a signal or due to heavy traffic.

Roadgeekteen

jgb191

After nearly a week of downright frigid cold conditions, we're thankfully back to comfortable weather again for the remainder of the 2022.

Brownsville:      82 high (+9);   66 low (+13)
Corpus Christi:  81 high (+12); 63 low (+11)
Laredo:            80 high (+12);  61 low (+12)
McAllen:           86 high (+13);  65 low (+12)

And it's expected to be even warmer than this at the first couple days of 2023....highs approaching 90 degrees in several places; a few places might exceed 90 degrees.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

ZLoth

Today's forecast high is 67℉ which is a improvement over of 24℉ High/11℉ low from last Friday. (That's a 56℉ difference.)
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Ted$8roadFan

Roadgeekteen

JayhawkCO

It was 52° earlier. Now we're about to get 5" of snow. Huzzah. I fly out to Kansas City around 1:30 tomorrow. Hopefully everything is kosher to do so. (Not flying Southwest since they cancelled my flight already.)

skluth

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 27, 2022, 09:12:05 AM
Actually I found a spot in the Upper Peninsula south of Houghton they got 42.8 inches.

The Keweenaw Peninsula typically gets more snow than anywhere else in Michigan (or Wisconsin for that matter). One of my cousins went to Michigan Tech for her freshman year, then went to Madison for her degree because of all the snow. (She also wasn't keen on being one of six women in her class back in 1978.) She's spent her career in Minneapolis so it's not like she hates the cold.

I, OTOH, do but today is another beautiful 70° day in paradise.

Roadgeekteen

Ted$8roadFan

kphoger

Currently 45°F and sunny.  The strong south wind we've had for a while is finally gone, so it's possible to go out and actually enjoy the relative warm-up without being blown away to the next county.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.