News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 30, 2024, 12:38:38 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 30, 2024, 12:31:24 PM
The full thaw is complete. 10 days after we barely were getting above 0F, we're expecting to see near 50 degree highs for the upcoming weekend. Whatever was left of our snowpack is gone.

Meanwhile, here in Wichita, there are still remnants of snow and ice on the shady side of some structures.  Or at least there were yesterday.  I've never seen it stick around this long here.  I keep reminiscing about the "black snow" of Chicago—the kind that's been there for three weeks, coated in Diesel exhaust, with the crust having thawed and re-iced a few times, trampled under foot by pedestrians but never quite gone...

Wow, do you really not have that in Wichita? It's perpetual in the Great Lakes from ~January to ~April, but ours happens to be coated with a fresh dusting of white right now.

kphoger

No.  Snow is typically gone within the week.  It's a rare combination here for (1) the ground to be cold enough when the snow falls, (2) air temperatures to be well below freezing for a long time after snowfall, and (3) subsequent sunshine not to do substantial melting even during low temperatures.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

The last real snowfall we got was 3 weeks ago.  High temperatures have been above 38°F for a week straight, and this is the third day in a row that it's getting above 50°F.  Yesterday's high was 68°F with sun, and it's currently 58°F and sunny.

Yet, when I took my lunchtime walk just now, I saw ice on the water on the north side of the culvert, and a few patches of snow and ice in shady spots of the parking lot.  Sunday at church, I looked out to see the Arkansas River completely covered in ice—despite temperatures not having been below 25°F since six days earlier.

That may be normal up where you are, but it's certainly not normal around here.  Typically, every last trace of that snow and ice would be long gone by now.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

D-Dey65

According to my PC, it's 64 degrees and sunny. I can confirm the sunny part.

Last night was cold. The night before was even colder.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 30, 2024, 01:42:37 PM
No.  Snow is typically gone within the week.  It's a rare combination here for (1) the ground to be cold enough when the snow falls, (2) air temperatures to be well below freezing for a long time after snowfall, and (3) subsequent sunshine not to do substantial melting even during low temperatures.

Freeze-thaw cycles are common here too, but subsequent sunshine is not. The sun sometimes comes out right after a big snow, but it doesn't stay around. Even when it's not raining or snowing, there's almost always cloud cover. We've had two? maybe three? sunny days this year and no more than a dozen since Halloween.

jakeroot

Closing in on 80 for the next week-ish here in Okinawa. Quite sunny, very pleasant. No need for a jacket walking out in the morning with lows around 70.

Genghixiani

still 30s - 50s here. Oklahoma just had 70s, and it barely missed me.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jgb191

Not a bad way to start the month of February....mostly sunny skies and pleasantly mild temperatures, plus a good amount of sea-breeze along the beaches.  Dew points in the 60s will make the 'feels like' temperatures hover only a few degrees above the actual temperatures.  Can't ask for anything better than this: 

ACTUAL                              AVERAGE

BROWNSVILLE:        83 high; 64 low                    75 high; 55 low
CORPUS CHRISTI:    80 high; 61 low                    71 high; 53 low
LAREDO:                 84 high; 60 low                    72 high; 51 low
MCALLEN:               84 high; 62 low                    75 high; 54 low
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

7/8

Overcast, foggy, mix of rain and snow and 1C (33F). Starting tomorrow, the sun will make a long-overdue return, and temperatures are expected to reach 8C (46F) on Sunday! I'll be happy to see the sun, but this won't be good for the snow...

algorerhythms

I'm seeing conflicting forecasts. One weather app on my phone says 3 C on Sunday, and the other says 41 F (5 C). Haven't seen any source that forecasts 8 C on Sunday, though that would be nice.

JayhawkCO

60 and not a cloud in the sky.

7/8

Quote from: algorerhythms on February 01, 2024, 02:06:10 PM
I'm seeing conflicting forecasts. One weather app on my phone says 3 C on Sunday, and the other says 41 F (5 C). Haven't seen any source that forecasts 8 C on Sunday, though that would be nice.

The 8C is from Google searching "Kitchener weather". Agreed, other sources are lower.

kphoger

Currently 69°F and sunny, forecast high temp today is 70°F.
Male pronouns, please.

jlam

Raining tonight. Not a common sight this time of the year around here.

Ted$8roadFan

jgb191

The first half of February is remaining consistently like this, but next week we're getting our next cold front (the first since last month) where our temperatures will again dip below normal.  Until then, enjoy these conditions while we still have them.

ACTUAL                              AVERAGE

BROWNSVILLE:        85 high; 67 low                    75 high; 57 low
CORPUS CHRISTI:    81 high; 65 low                    72 high; 54 low
LAREDO:                 84 high; 65 low                    73 high; 51 low
MCALLEN:               86 high; 68 low                    76 high; 56 low
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

Genghixiani

Supposed to get 60 today :colorful:! I am honestly very happy about this, and it is about time.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NWI_Irish96

We are under a marginal risk for severe weather, which is unheard of in this area for early February.

Got up to 58 degrees.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

High of 50 and a little breezy. It actually rained yesterday for the first time in a long while. (We've obviously gotten snow since the last rain.)

JREwing78

My weather? 4 hours ago, it was quite tornadic. 1st tornado I've seen in real life, and 1st February tornado on record in Wisconsin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHcfJaGeAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPlN0h-Srb8

Hunty2022

59 and sunny, feels more like summer out here.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

JayhawkCO

ZLoth

It's 52°F and we have thunderstorms. There is no "severe thunderstorm watch", no "severe thunderstorm warning", just the possibility of small-sized hail. Most of the "action" is to the south of Dallas.

I'm going back to bed.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.