News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: route17fan on November 30, 2014, 12:48:29 AM
Do locals still refer to the Inner Loop as 'the moat'?

Did we ever?

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on November 30, 2014, 06:40:34 PM

Did we ever?

None of my Rochester friends knew of anyone calling it that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on November 30, 2014, 08:09:57 PM

Did we ever?

The term did tend to appear in the press to illustrate a negative perception of the road, but I don't recall ever hearing it referred to colloquially that way.

route17fan

Gotcha - just curious.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

route17fan

Quote from: cl94 on November 30, 2014, 08:09:57 PM

Did we ever?

Now I'm wondering where I heard the term or where I got it?  :-D My apologies to all
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

J Route Z

Does the NYSDOT have a page on their website to report a maintenance issue on a state highway? I could not locate it.

KEVIN_224

I have a quick question about the I-95/I-87 junction in the Bronx: How long has Exit 1D been there? I don't remember seeing that before!

cl94

Pretty sure it always has been. Bridge the ramp uses is certainly old enough.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 02, 2014, 11:06:33 PM
I have a quick question about the I-95/I-87 junction in the Bronx: How long has Exit 1D been there? I don't remember seeing that before!

I think that's brand-new. Always used to just be 1C for the whole exit. But, ya know, every ramp gets a number. GSP southbound 130 is now 130A/B because two ramps. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that you should number diverges from the mainline, not splits downwind from there.

KEVIN_224

There was a ton of construction on this interchange in the last few years. Those ramps were completely (or very nearly) reconstructed. The age of that gantry is fairly obvious.

vdeane

Looks like one of the "temporarily closed" rest areas is re-opening: https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2014/2014-12-24

Quote from: J Route Z on December 02, 2014, 07:32:28 PM
Does the NYSDOT have a page on their website to report a maintenance issue on a state highway? I could not locate it.
Best I can think of is the contact page for the residencies: https://www.dot.ny.gov/about-nysdot/faq/residencies

I could have sworn there was a way to contact them with a web form or email and have it forwarded to the appropriate person, but that was a site redesign or two ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

storm2k

That's within the past year. For a while it was 3N-S because NYSDOT (or the PA, I never remember which) was going to switch the numbering to sequential exits, with 9A being Exit 1, the HRD being 2, and the Deegan being 3. They since reversed on that call and went back. The PA part of the roadway (under the apartments on the Trans Manhattan Expwy) still has the sequential numbers on their signs, so that's a little confusing.

storm2k

From today's NY Times: For New Tappan Zee, Questions Persist Over How High the Tolls Will Climb

QuoteBy one rough calculation – dividing the $3.9 billion amortized at 4 percent interest by the 24,539,849 vehicle round trips taken in 2012 – paying off construction bonds could add more than $6 to the amount paid for each trip through the tollbooths. That is why state officials are trying hard to find alternative financing.

One transportation consultant, who asked not to be identified because of a potential role in helping the state set the new toll, said a ballpark estimate was that for every $1 billion in outside financing, the per-car price could be reduced by $2.50.

Either way, it's going to hurt a lot more to cross the new Tappan Zee.

empirestate

Quote from: storm2k on December 03, 2014, 04:02:36 PM

That's within the past year. For a while it was 3N-S because NYSDOT (or the PA, I never remember which) was going to switch the numbering to sequential exits, with 9A being Exit 1, the HRD being 2, and the Deegan being 3. They since reversed on that call and went back. The PA part of the roadway (under the apartments on the Trans Manhattan Expwy) still has the sequential numbers on their signs, so that's a little confusing.

The sign's probably from the past year, but the numbering's been there a little longer. At least as long as I've lived in the borough (3 1/2 years).

Bumppoman

I don't have any (original) pictures yet, but the new Exit 72 on NY 17 westbound opened today.  According to the Facebook page for the Prospect Mountain project, phase one of the project is now 80 percent complete.  Remaining for next season is the opening of the Exit 72 onramp, two new bridges (one for I-81 NB and another for I-81 SB.

Here is the new signage for the exit, courtesy of the Prospect Mountain contractors:

PHLBOS

Quote from: Bumppoman on December 04, 2014, 08:21:00 PMHere is the new signage for the exit, courtesy of the Prospect Mountain contractors:

Why is that cantilevered gantry so unusually thick?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 05, 2014, 09:25:44 AM
Quote from: Bumppoman on December 04, 2014, 08:21:00 PMHere is the new signage for the exit, courtesy of the Prospect Mountain contractors:

Likely designed to AASHTO 2009 (with 2010 and 2011 addenda) wind speed and fatigue requirements.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 05, 2014, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 05, 2014, 09:25:44 AM

Likely designed to AASHTO 2009 (with 2010 and 2011 addenda) wind speed and fatigue requirements.
Assuming that other new or recently-erected gantries and structures (examples: the new BGS gantries along I-95 & 93 in MA and along I-95 & US 202 in PA) are designed for such requirements; I still think that the above-gantry is grossly overdesigned.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

That has been the standard in New York for 15 years. Nothing recent. At this point, a significant amount of gantries have changed to that style. Everything new since the turn of the century has been that style, both NYSDOT and NYSTA. The latter might be changing to monotubes based on a set of plans I saw, but that's another story altogether.

I'm more concerned by the mile marker. Given that I've seen nearly-identical ones in Region 5, I (unfortunately) believe that those boxy things are the new standard.

cu2010

The milemarker is a new FHWA standard enhanced location marker. R7's been using them for ten years now.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

cl94

Quote from: cu2010 on December 05, 2014, 12:28:12 PM
The milemarker is a new FHWA standard enhanced location marker. R7's been using them for ten years now.

Good to know. I thought they were just typical R5 crappy signage.

vdeane

There are a few enhanced location tenth mile markers in R3.  R1 uses the regular MUTCD tenth mile markers for new installs and enhanced location markers on the Northway.  R4 also uses the enhanced location markers, as do R8 and R9.  R6 uses regular MUTCD mile markers.

Honestly, I prefer the old R1 green/white tenth mile markers better.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

R1s are what I grew up with. Numbers appear larger. Maybe it's the different look that I don't like.

Bumppoman

The mile marker is temporary.  Similar permanent ones have gone up on I-81 just south of this location, but they look less cheap and better overall.

Additionally, regarding the cantilever, these have really come into vogue here in the Binghamton area over the last several months.  Nearly every sign in Broome County was replaced (sign bridge and all) over the summer, and quite a few full overhead gantries were replaced by these cantilever assemblies.  In a couple locations, it seems ill fitting, because the overhead gantry provided additional information that is now either absent or present only on locally installed ground mounted signs.

Buffaboy

Quote from: Bumppoman on December 05, 2014, 03:50:38 PM
The mile marker is temporary.  Similar permanent ones have gone up on I-81 just south of this location, but they look less cheap and better overall.

Additionally, regarding the cantilever, these have really come into vogue here in the Binghamton area over the last several months.  Nearly every sign in Broome County was replaced (sign bridge and all) over the summer, and quite a few full overhead gantries were replaced by these cantilever assemblies.  In a couple locations, it seems ill fitting, because the overhead gantry provided additional information that is now either absent or present only on locally installed ground mounted signs.

Are there any going up like these?

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.