News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on November 08, 2013, 02:00:39 PM
OK, all of you people going "OMG, your car better be in good condition, you don't want to have a breakdown in The Bronx!"... chill. Note how the stories people are telling about seeing crazy stuff on the Cross Bronx are all from 20+ years ago. The Bronx, and New York City as a whole, is a much nicer place in 2013 than it was in 1993. If you have a breakdown on the Cross Bronx, it's the same as having a breakdown anywhere else. You call a tow truck and get the problem dealt with.

Now, granted, there are still some rough areas of The Bronx. But if you're on the highway you're fine. And don't be scared to poke around on city streets, either. There's lots to see and the risk to you in broad daylight is... really not that great. It's The Bronx, not Mogadishu.

If this were Facebook I'd be pressing Like right here.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dgolub on November 08, 2013, 08:40:22 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 07, 2013, 10:19:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 07, 2013, 05:56:42 PM
But we hit so much traffic near Milford that I bailed onto the Wilbur Cross. I've still never been on Connecticut's I-395. Doubt I'll ever get around to it. The potholes on I-95 in NYC were awful and I was reminded why the Merritt Parkway is a respite from I-95. 

I took I-95 from the New Jersey Turnpike all the way to the Portsmouth (N.H.) meet earlier this year.  The condition of the Cross-Bronx Expressway was terrible, but the Connecticut Turnpike was much worse in terms of delay, with a double lane closure in Fairfield County that delayed traffic by over an hour.

Then you must have just hit the Connecticut Turnpike at a really bad time.  The Connecticut Turnpike can sometimes get backed up, but if you travel it when it's not rush hour then it's generally fine.  The Cross Bronx is pretty much always backed up, unless it's 3 AM or something like that.

Aside from that miserable double lane closure (on a Friday night, no less - taking away 2/3 of the lane capacity), the Connecticut Turnpike was fine northbound.

I came back on Sunday retracing my route north, except that I drove I-93 via the Big Dig through Boston instead of I-95/Mass. 128.

The Connecticut Turnpike southbound (westbound) got busier and busier the closer I got the to the New York border, with several spots where traffic came to a halt.  I did not bother with the Cross Bronx headed south (west), but took I-287 across the Tappan Zee to the Garden State Parkway south to the N.J. Turnpike, which worked out well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on November 08, 2013, 12:58:23 AM
I remember taking the bus from The City back to Hartford and we took the Cross Bronx and it was floodedÂ…a BMW was stuck in water up to the top of its tires and only one lane was getting through on the shoulder.  After seeing that when I do drive through the area (going to/from Baltimore) I go through Westchester on the Tappan Zee.  The backups on 95 through the City and Fairfield County with the construction in New Haven makes 95 a nightmare.  The Merritt is OK during the day as long as there isn't an accident but the lack of merging space is problematic.  I guess that it's the price you have to pay for a scenic route. 

That's CT for ya closing 2 of 3 lanes during the day.  Problably for street sweeping.  I've seen it before, lane closures for the "Broom Bear" in a full 12 foot shoulder.

Although compared to some NYC parkways, the Merritt is in fine shape.  Most entrances have long merging lanes that have been expanded in recent years.  Also unlike NYC parkways there are places to pull over, although it's grass but how many parkways don't even have that.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SignBridge

I have to agree with Duke87's earlier post. Though I still wouldn't want to break down on the Cross Bx. Expwy, he is correct that NYC is a generally better/safer place today than it was 20 years ago.

And doofy103 is correct also that the Merritt Pkwy. is a good road to drive nowadays. There has been some modernization and on a weekday, it can be a good alternative to playing tag with the big rigs on I-95 in Connecticut. Personally I prefer I-95 though, 'cause it's more interesting. Being a railroad buff, I like that it parallels Amtrak/Metro-North, and the rivers and bridges are interesting. 

spmkam

The Merritt is a better landscape for sure. I prefer the Merritt during the day and I-95 late at night, but will look at the Metro-North tracks that run near the highway on 95.

Duke87

Quote from: roadman on November 08, 2013, 03:02:30 PM
So, have they taken down the "stay in locked car" signs then?

I don't even remember such signs so they've clearly been gone for a while.
...of course, I was rarely down the Cross Bronx as a kid because my father always avoided it whenever possible (it was just as much a traffic mess then as it is now).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Michael

machias

I just drove the expanded to three lanes section of I-87 between exits 23 and 24.  The southbound roadway is still at 55 MPH with the right-hand lane closed as there is still some work in progress around the Exit 23 interchange, but other than that, signs are in place and it looks complete.

The overhead signs on I-87 SB are really odd looking in that the arrows are abnormally small and the 87 marker is off center with the word "SOUTH" crammed up against the right hand margin of the sign.  I guess someone at the Thruway Authority has no idea how to work GuidSIGN or SignCAD.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: empirestate on November 08, 2013, 06:01:09 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 08, 2013, 02:00:39 PM
OK, all of you people going "OMG, your car better be in good condition, you don't want to have a breakdown in The Bronx!"... chill. Note how the stories people are telling about seeing crazy stuff on the Cross Bronx are all from 20+ years ago. The Bronx, and New York City as a whole, is a much nicer place in 2013 than it was in 1993. If you have a breakdown on the Cross Bronx, it's the same as having a breakdown anywhere else. You call a tow truck and get the problem dealt with.

Now, granted, there are still some rough areas of The Bronx. But if you're on the highway you're fine. And don't be scared to poke around on city streets, either. There's lots to see and the risk to you in broad daylight is... really not that great. It's The Bronx, not Mogadishu.

If this were Facebook I'd be pressing Like right here.

I was just on I-95 in NYC today, in the Bronx.  SB traffic was very light.  NB was at a stop just past this pic.  I was SB and stopped to take these pics and nobody scaled the walls to sell me anything.   :pan:

Also I drove Bruckner Blvd and found a couple other goodies but felt safe doing so. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

I took a pic of a NRBC Hutch sign on Bruckner Blvd and the sign has a "BW3" on the botton.  Did NY use codes to track their signs?

xcellntbuy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 10, 2013, 12:45:58 AM
I just drove the expanded to three lanes section of I-87 between exits 23 and 24.  The southbound roadway is still at 55 MPH with the right-hand lane closed as there is still some work in progress around the Exit 23 interchange, but other than that, signs are in place and it looks complete.

The overhead signs on I-87 SB are really odd looking in that the arrows are abnormally small and the 87 marker is off center with the word "SOUTH" crammed up against the right hand margin of the sign.  I guess someone at the Thruway Authority has no idea how to work GuidSIGN or SignCAD.
This 6-lane expansion has been a long time in coming.

dlainhart

Quote from: doofy103 on November 10, 2013, 04:46:26 PM
Also I drove Bruckner Blvd and found a couple other goodies but felt safe doing so.
Exactly. It's not 1989 anymore. If you want to find a neighborhood you'll be too uncomfortable to pull over in, well, the Bronx won't cut it anymore. You'll have to go somewhere far more dangerous, like Syracuse.

Dylan T. Lainhart / Binghamton, N.Y.

dlainhart

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 08, 2013, 10:41:13 AM
I've driven the Cross Bronx, and while it's roadgeek worthy, I'm glad I got it out of the way. ...but I'm still missing the Bruckner.
Correct this IMMEDIATELY. The Bruckner is a glorious road. Old truss bridges on an Interstate! And make sure you drive both the Blvd and the Expwy.

Dylan T. Lainhart / Binghamton, N.Y.

machias

Quote from: xcellntbuy on November 12, 2013, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 10, 2013, 12:45:58 AM

This 6-lane expansion has been a long time in coming.

Indeed it has, I just wish they had used the opportunity to introduce a NB interchange (maybe E-ZPass only?) from I-87 north on the Thruway to I-87 north on the Northway. It would help ease the congestion at Exit 24.

Mergingtraffic

Drove the Whitestone to the Cross Island, GCP and I-295 & I-495.  Hardly any button copy left.  All replaced with "the worst of road signs" type signs.  Big arrows, off font, bubble interstate shields etc.  I'm really surprised at the shotty sign work that is popping up all over NY and NYC. 

The NRBC on the Cross Island must've been replaced within the last month or so. 

I did find these, Idk if they are reflective or not: If you know, let me know.

dgolub

Quote from: doofy103 on November 14, 2013, 03:22:39 PM

What's NRBC?  They did a whole batch of sign replacements on the Cross Island Parkway at the end of last year, right around the time of Hurricane Sandy.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: dgolub on November 14, 2013, 07:17:39 PM

What's NRBC?  They did a whole batch of sign replacements on the Cross Island Parkway at the end of last year, right around the time of Hurricane Sandy.

Non-reflective button copy.  It's part of what gave NYC highways character.

dgolub

Quote from: doofy103 on November 14, 2013, 11:03:11 PM

Yep, they replaced most of the signs, at least from I-495 to I-678, just before the hurricane.  There was also one by the Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295) going north that had survived that replacement, but I noticed it was replaced more recently when I was on there this past weekend.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: dgolub on November 15, 2013, 08:39:18 AM

Yep, they replaced most of the signs, at least from I-495 to I-678, just before the hurricane.  There was also one by the Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295) going north that had survived that replacement, but I noticed it was replaced more recently when I was on there this past weekend.

So is there any non-reflective button copy left in the 5 boroughs of NYC?

dgolub

Quote from: doofy103 on November 15, 2013, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: dgolub on November 15, 2013, 08:39:18 AM

So is there any non-reflective button copy left in the 5 boroughs of NYC?

The FDR Drive is still almost all button copy.  The Belt Parkway used to be, but the last time I was on there was back in 2006, so they might have replaced it since then.  I also can't say about the part of the Cross Island Parkway that's south of the expressway.

Duke87

Belt and Cross Island both still have some left but a lot of it has been replaced. FDR Drive is the largest surviving collection these days.

Given how active NYSDOT has been with sign replacements in the city I expect most of the button copy will be gone in a few years.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on November 16, 2013, 01:36:53 AM
Given how active NYSDOT has been with sign replacements in the city I expect most of the button copy will be gone in a few years.

Not to mention Long Island and Connecticut as well.

PHLBOS

Not sure if this is the proper thread to comment regarding recent NYSTA BGS' but I noticed a couple new ones erected near the Palisades Interstate Parkway (PIP) interchange (Exits 13 N-S) along I-87 North/287 West last night.

In addition to overuse of the Clearview font (numerals and all-Caps text), whatever reflectivity materials NYSTA is using on those new BGS'; it absolutely sucks in terms of night visibility

Whatever readability advantages the Clearview font provides is completely negated by the poor reflectivity materials used for the lettering.  In contrast, the lettering on the older (20 to 25-year-old) BGS (most of which are still present) are much more brighter & visable/readable at greater distance at night (when viewed w/low-beam headlights).

Which begs this underlying question: if the older BGS' are still in pristine condition and have the correct/current info. on them; why are these being replaced at all at this point?

A complete waste of money IMHO, especially if the new BGS have some nighttime readability issues from the get-go.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

I appreciate how you've illustrated the point about readability and the overuse of a type-style in the appearance of your post itself. Nicely done! :-)

SignBridge

PHLBOS, that's incredible that the T'way Authority is replacing those signs in Rockland County when they are only a little over 20 years old and probably in good condition as you say. Especially considering, it took them 35 years to replace the original inadequately designed and deteriorated blue-background signs from the mid-1950's. They go from one extreme to the other!

dgolub

Quote from: SignBridge on November 18, 2013, 05:42:11 PM
PHLBOS, that's incredible that the T'way Authority is replacing those signs in Rockland County when they are only a little over 20 years old and probably in good condition as you say. Especially considering, it took them 35 years to replace the original inadequately designed and deteriorated blue-background signs from the mid-1950's. They go from one extreme to the other!

Did they change what's written on the signs, or are they just new style?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.