News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: spmkam on January 20, 2014, 01:17:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/20/nyregion/a-colossal-bridge-will-rise-across-the-hudson.html?hp&_r=0

Interesting article in the Times on the New Tappan Zee.

1) Love the before-and-after photos of the South Nyack interchange.

2):
QuoteThe bridge will also have all-electronic toll collection, eliminating backups at tollbooths.

Duke87

Something intriguing in photo #5: it appears the bridge was originally tolled in both directions! That I did not know! Looking at Historic Aerials it seems the tolls switched to one way sometime between 1965 and 1974.

Poking around it appears this was the case for all Hudson River crossings back in the day. Huh.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on January 20, 2014, 06:22:17 PM
Something intriguing in photo #5: it appears the bridge was originally tolled in both directions! That I did not know! Looking at Historic Aerials it seems the tolls switched to one way sometime between 1965 and 1974.

Poking around it appears this was the case for all Hudson River crossings back in the day. Huh.
Surprised you didn't know that. No NJ crossings started out as one-way tolling, on any river.

hotdogPi

Quote from: empirestate on January 20, 2014, 05:02:13 PM
QuoteThe bridge will also have all-electronic toll collection, eliminating backups at tollbooths.

And those that don't have EZPass?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2014, 07:27:41 PM

Sorry; I've already quoted the entirety of the pertinent text from the article. Bit of a cliffhanger, I agree!

NE2

Quote from: Steve on January 20, 2014, 06:35:24 PM
No NJ crossings started out as one-way tolling, on any river.
The Ellis/Liberty Island ferries :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2014, 07:27:41 PM

Bill by mail / photo tolling.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on January 20, 2014, 06:22:17 PM

Also the case with all Thruway barriers except the Grand Island bridges.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Surprised you didn't know that. No NJ crossings started out as one-way tolling, on any river.

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2014, 10:00:28 PM

All Maryland toll crossings and its one toll road (at the time) were two-way tolls up to the early 1990's, when then-Gov. William Donald Schaefer ordered the MdTA to convert most of them to one-way tolls (the three crossings of the Baltimore Harbor remained (and remain) two-way tolls because there was concern that one-way tolling would result in excessive shunpiking through downtown Baltimore in the tolled direction).

I understand that Schaefer was especially irritated at the queues crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (U.S. 50/U.S. 301) westbound to pay the toll on his way back from summer weekends spent in Ocean City (Md.).

With cashless/open road tolling, I hope that toll authorities return to two-way toll collection.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: spmkam on January 20, 2014, 01:17:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/20/nyregion/a-colossal-bridge-will-rise-across-the-hudson.html?hp&_r=0

Interesting article in the Times on the New Tappan Zee.

I liked seeing the pictures of the existing bridge's construction. Thanks for posting that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 20, 2014, 11:13:49 PM

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2014, 10:00:28 PM

All Maryland toll crossings and its one toll road (at the time) were two-way tolls up to the early 1990's, when then-Gov. William Donald Schaefer ordered the MdTA to convert most of them to one-way tolls (the three crossings of the Baltimore Harbor remained (and remain) two-way tolls because there was concern that one-way tolling would result in excessive shunpiking through downtown Baltimore in the tolled direction).

I understand that Schaefer was especially irritated at the queues crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (U.S. 50/U.S. 301) westbound to pay the toll on his way back from summer weekends spent in Ocean City (Md.).

With cashless/open road tolling, I hope that toll authorities return to two-way toll collection.
I haven't seen any indication of returning to two-way tolling. Then again, there are so many agencies up here that they would all have to agree to do it, all at once in a coordinated effort, to prevent mass shunpiking. So that's why.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: De Blasio's Vow to End Traffic Deaths vs. Reality of New York Streets

QuoteThe announcement was bold, if somewhat quixotic: Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose campaign was focused on reforming the New York Police Department's stop-and-frisk practices, would commit his administration to reducing traffic deaths "literally"  to zero.

QuoteIn his administration's first 40 days, that pledge translated into a series of ticket blitzes against drivers – and, in unusually large numbers, jaywalkers.

QuoteJaywalking tickets grew nearly eightfold this year, despite the mayor's insistence that his plan for safer streets did not include singling out pedestrians. Through Feb. 9, there were 215 jaywalking summonses issued, compared with 27 over the same period last year; tickets issued to drivers were down slightly.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Flyer78

Noticed new Welcome to NY signs on I-81 at the PA/NY line this weekend -- was not expecting it, so sorry no pictures. Haven't seen anything online about the switch, and the usual green sign was on the US-15 state line signs a week ago (3/14/14).

The new sign consists of a primary welcome sign, followed by three more I Love NY signs, each with a different message (reminded me a bit of the NJ-style select a toll lane concept), I believe they were "discover" "tour" and "taste" or something like that, followed by another I Love NY Welcome Center sign for the gateway rest area. Just a head's up for anyone in the area.

machias

Quote from: Flyer78 on March 24, 2014, 02:11:13 PM
Noticed new Welcome to NY signs on I-81 at the PA/NY line this weekend -- was not expecting it, so sorry no pictures. Haven't seen anything online about the switch, and the usual green sign was on the US-15 state line signs a week ago (3/14/14).

The new sign consists of a primary welcome sign, followed by three more I Love NY signs, each with a different message (reminded me a bit of the NJ-style select a toll lane concept), I believe they were "discover" "tour" and "taste" or something like that, followed by another I Love NY Welcome Center sign for the gateway rest area. Just a head's up for anyone in the area.

I saw similar signs coming into New York from Connecticut on Interstate 84 a couple of weeks ago. I noticed them and at the time erroneously considered that they were another Thruway thing. Obviously I was wrong.

nyratk1

Not all that important but Suffolk County finally posted CR 56 shields on Victory Avenue in Brookhaven. It's been signed like that on paper for a while but I never saw posted shields for as long as I've been aware.

machias

The North-South Arterial in Utica is getting some new overhead signs this week between the Burrstone Rd and French Rd interchanges.

French Rd. used to be signed as French Rd. / St. Lukes Hosp, but now it's just French Rd.
Burrstone Rd. used to be signed as Burrstone Rd. / Faxton Hosp (covered with green out) / Utica College but now it's signed as Burrstone Rd. / Lincoln Ave.  (Lincoln Ave. was extended as part of the first phase of the North-South Arterial Project that goes full tilt this spring).

The NY 8 South / NY 840 West interchange has a new 1 mile advance sign as well (previously it had only a 1/2 mile advance) and the control cities are now Whitestown and New Hartford. All the other signs are for New York Miles and New Hartford, however, a bid was recently let for "Whitestown" overlays on all the other signs associated with the interchange.

An email exchange with NYSDOT R2 years ago indicated that R2 was going to be concentrating more on "location corridors" with signing in the area, the move of "New York Mills" to "Whitestown" on the 840 seems to indicate this, as "New York Mills" is now signed on the Burrstone Rd. interchange when headed south / westbound on the North-South Arterial.  That change was made last year with the installation of a new overhead exit advance sign.

Alps

NY 440 is getting some service road completion. First time in awhile for downstate.
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/exclusive_west_shore_expresswa.html
(Thanks to Steve Anderson for finding)

KEVIN_224

While I'm not 100% sure, it looks like the construction at the I-87/I-95 interchange in the Bronx is largely done. I noticed several new signs up near the south (west) end of the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95/US Route 1) today. Amazingly, the bus I was on didn't experience a single slowdown or backup after 1 pm on that stretch today, from the interchanges of I-278 to I-87. That almost never happens!

Dougtone

Quote from: nyratk1 on March 25, 2014, 12:57:23 AM
Not all that important but Suffolk County finally posted CR 56 shields on Victory Avenue in Brookhaven. It's been signed like that on paper for a while but I never saw posted shields for as long as I've been aware.

Town Line Road in Hauppauge was only signed as Suffolk CR 76 on paper for years, then new county route shields started being posted about 10 years ago.  This wouldn't be a first for Suffolk County then.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 26, 2014, 11:55:54 PM
While I'm not 100% sure, it looks like the construction at the I-87/I-95 interchange in the Bronx is largely done. I noticed several new signs up near the south (west) end of the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95/US Route 1) today. Amazingly, the bus I was on didn't experience a single slowdown or backup after 1 pm on that stretch today, from the interchanges of I-278 to I-87. That almost never happens!

New York forgot US 9.

KEVIN_224

They didn't forget it. US Route 9 hasn't joined the road just yet. (US Route 9 south joins the roadway soon afterwards and just before the G.W. Bridge itself.)

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 26, 2014, 11:55:54 PM
Is it me or is something a tad odd regarding the font in that US 1 shield?

It appears unusually heavy/thick or maybe of a non-FHWA font.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

US 9 joins with exit 1A, so technically 1A is for US 9 north and staying on is for US 9 south.

Looks like the last vestiges of NYSDOT's attempt to convert I-95 to sequential numbers is gone (depending on the state of the northbound signs).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

nyratk1

Quote from: Dougtone on March 27, 2014, 06:23:53 AM
Quote from: nyratk1 on March 25, 2014, 12:57:23 AM

Town Line Road in Hauppauge was only signed as Suffolk CR 76 on paper for years, then new county route shields started being posted about 10 years ago.  This wouldn't be a first for Suffolk County then.

Wonder if they're gonna do it with more routes, particularly CR 29/Ronkonkoma Ave. There's still room for it on the old sign assembly on Lakeland Av. :P

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on March 27, 2014, 12:35:29 PM
US 9 joins with exit 1A, so technically 1A is for US 9 north and staying on is for US 9 south.

Looks like the last vestiges of NYSDOT's attempt to convert I-95 to sequential numbers is gone (depending on the state of the northbound signs).
1A isn't really for 9 north, there's no exit that leads conveniently to Broadway. It's a discontinuity in the system, but on the other hand, no one's really taking that exit to follow US 9. They're either heading into a Manhattan/Bronx neighborhood or taking a freeway like the Deegan or Henry Hudson to another exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.