News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

An odd question popped into my mind when reading this thread:  Did US 1 exist prior to the GW Bridge and if so what was it's route thru NYC?

KEVIN_224

US Route 1 existed prior to the G.W. Bridge. However, New York City didn't sign US Route 1 within the city until December 1934, soon after the bridge opened.

Alps

The original route was the Holland Tunnel. I do not recall offhand how it got to the Bronx, but since NYC didn't sign it, take any roads you want. Note that originally, US 9 continued up the NJ side to the Edgewater ferry at what's now NJ 5.

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on March 27, 2014, 10:58:05 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 27, 2014, 12:35:29 PM
US 9 joins with exit 1A, so technically 1A is for US 9 north and staying on is for US 9 south.

Looks like the last vestiges of NYSDOT's attempt to convert I-95 to sequential numbers is gone (depending on the state of the northbound signs).
1A isn't really for 9 north, there's no exit that leads conveniently to Broadway. It's a discontinuity in the system
It goes via 178th Street, last I checked.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on March 28, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
US 9 joins with exit 1A, so technically 1A is for US 9 north and staying on is for US 9 south.

Looks like the last vestiges of NYSDOT's attempt to convert I-95 to sequential numbers is gone (depending on the state of the northbound signs).
1A isn't really for 9 north, there's no exit that leads conveniently to Broadway. It's a discontinuity in the system
I'm looking at the SB (WB) sign, though.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on March 28, 2014, 10:59:49 PM

181st Street, then.

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on March 29, 2014, 03:36:32 AM

181st Street, then.
179th (it's even signed, albeit with an erroneous NY 9 shield), though upon further thinking, I think Alps means the southbound I-95 sign for exit 1A, since only the northbound 1A services US 9 (though the northbound 1A signs doesn't mention US 9 either until after the ramp leaves I-95).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2014, 06:12:31 PM

181st Street, then.
179th (it's even signed, albeit with an erroneous NY 9 shield), though upon further thinking, I think Alps means the southbound I-95 sign for exit 1A, since only the northbound 1A services US 9 (though the northbound 1A signs doesn't mention US 9 either until after the ramp leaves I-95).

No, 181st. As you say, we're talking about the southbound exit 1A (or 1); heck, 181st is even mentioned on the signage shown upthread.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on March 30, 2014, 03:28:51 AM
Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2014, 06:12:31 PM

181st Street, then.

No, 181st. As you say, we're talking about the southbound exit 1A (or 1); heck, 181st is even mentioned on the signage shown upthread.

You can get on from 179th right before the bridge, you just can't get off onto it. 

empirestate

Oh dear; my point seems to have gotten lost amongst a nest of quotes...let me see if I can untangle:

1A isn't really for 9 north, there's no exit that leads conveniently to Broadway.

181st Street, then.

Here's an illustration of how that connection is made:
https://goo.gl/maps/mWluM

True, it's not direct to Broadway, or necessarily "convenient", and the exit isn't marked as being for US 9 north. But at least in this direction there is a connection, and it's via 181st Street (and a little stub of Haven Ave.).

vdeane

I think we've all getting confused about whether we're talking about how to get from I-95 to US 9 north or how US 9 is a continuous route.

shadyjay

What I've never understood is while on I-95 NB, the BGS for Exit 1(A) has always had a NY 9A shield but never a US 9 shield.  There is a small secondary sign on the GWB that says US 9 use Exit 1A.  The older version of the sign only had a NY 9A shield as well.  How does a SR get priority billing on a BGS over a US route? 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: shadyjay on March 30, 2014, 02:37:27 PM
What I've never understood is while on I-95 NB, the BGS for Exit 1(A) has always had a NY 9A shield but never a US 9 shield.  There is a small secondary sign on the GWB that says US 9 use Exit 1A.  The older version of the sign only had a NY 9A shield as well.  How does a SR get priority billing on a BGS over a US route?

Maybe because Henry Hudson Parkway (9A)  is a major limited-access major highway.  Broadway (9) is a surface street.  One of the most famous surface streets in the world, but amid this company perhaps lower priority given limited sign space.   

vdeane

Also because NY has historically not cared a whole lot about the US route system.  In fact, most US routes are treated as state routes with a different shield here.  The only exceptions are the three duplicates, each of which is handled differently:
-US 2 is given the U suffix like interstates are given the I suffix
-US 15 used to be marked as a southern extension of NY 15; now the logs consider it to be I-99
-NYSDOT prefers to forget that US 220 technically enters NY

NJRoadfan

Quote from: shadyjay on March 30, 2014, 02:37:27 PM

The older version had US-9 on the 178th St. Sign. The new sign that replaced it in late-2002/early-2003 removed US-9.

Interstatefan78

Another fact about new York is that interstate highways are given designations like 87I (I-87) or 495I (I-495) on their reference markers and I made this observation I when traveled I-87 from Albany to Lake George and I-495 from Queens to Selden or Calverton. This is different from PA's practice of giving it's interstates as State routes an excellent example would be SR0078 (I-78) or SR0081 (I-81)

J N Winkler

What about Interstate 508?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: vdeane on March 31, 2014, 03:17:48 PM
-NYSDOT prefers to forget that US 220 technically enters NY

the only 220 shield I've ever seen of NY manufacture is this one:

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

machias

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2014, 09:31:52 PM
What about Interstate 508?

I believe all of the interstates in New York have a legislative designation that is separate from designations like SR 781I. They're used to describe each route but for the life of me I don't recall their numbers. I know both 690 and 481 are written into law this way. 

The new references markers along Interstate 84 erroneously list the route number as I-84 instead of 84I. This stepping way from established standards for their own inventory system kind of makes me crazy.

iPhone

vdeane

Last time I was on I-781 (around a year ago now) it didn't even have reference markers.  No idea what they're using there.

cu2010

781I.

Reference markers have since been installed, along with mileposts (which are using Series C numbers despite there being plenty of room for Series D!)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

machias

Quote from: cu2010 on April 12, 2014, 01:49:07 PM
781I.

Reference markers have since been installed, along with mileposts (which are using Series C numbers despite there being plenty of room for Series D!)

Yes, I noticed that same thing. Interstate 781 is well signed, including town line signs and over/underpass location markers. Region 7 did a really good job with 781.

CANALLER

To answer the thoughts above, the correct layout for reference markers on interstate highways is ###I, so any that say I### are technically wrong.  That said, not all sign inspectors are as anal as I am, and even if the inspector rejected them, one of the suits would overrule him.  Another reason they may be there is that most inspectors bounce around between projects of completely different types of work.  Only a few of us have been able to do multiple sign contracts for long enough to be able to learn the most obscure requirements.

Also, N.Y.S. interstates can't be posted as state routes as in the Penn'a example above.  There are many N.Y.S. state routes that have the same numbers as interstates.  Some (390, 590, 690) are simply extensions of the interstates.  But others (81, 90) are completely separate routes.

D-Dey65

Quote from: nyratk1 on March 25, 2014, 12:57:23 AM
Not all that important but Suffolk County finally posted CR 56 shields on Victory Avenue in Brookhaven. It's been signed like that on paper for a while but I never saw posted shields for as long as I've been aware.
I actually saw those back in November 2013 around Horse Block Road.

On another topic, did anybody notice that on NY 22, there are no signs telling you when you've entered either NYC or Mount Vernon?

dgolub

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 20, 2014, 08:12:09 PM
On another topic, did anybody notice that on NY 22, there are no signs telling you when you've entered either NYC or Mount Vernon?

No, but it doesn't surprise me.  There is no signage when you enter Queens on Northern Boulevard (NY 25A), and there's no signage entering either Queens or Nassau on Union Turnpike (NY 25C).  In fact, for a while, there was no signage when you entered Queens on the Long Island Expressway (I-495).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.