News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 6 may actually be LONGER than US 20

Started by usends, August 24, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

The 3365-mile figure cited on signs at both endpoints of US 20 seems to be significantly overstated.  That number was sourced from AASHTO's 1989 route log, which a.) may not have been correct even back then, and b.) US 20 has had several realignments over the past 30+ years, each one of which affects its total mileage.  I suspect both factors are in play; at any rate I calculate US 20's cross-country distance to be less than 3300 miles.  And then when you subtract implied mileage though Yellowstone (which isn't officially part of US 20), the total distance comes out to be just under US 6's 3205 miles.  Full article here
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, it turns out US 6 is again the longest US Route as officially defined since Iowa realigned it around Council Bluffs instead of through it, and thanks to that loophole of US 20 having a gap in its official definition through Yellowstone (In fact US 6 has been the longest contiguous route ever since it reached Long Beach). However I consider US 20 to be the longest US Route anyway, since I count the section through Yellowstone (and on Norris Canyon Road to be exact instead of the Southern section of Grand Loop Road, but that is a moot point given there is only a 3 km difference between the official definitions of US 6 and US 20).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

nexus73

If we cosigned US 6 and US 395 from Bishop heading south to where the two routes would once again diverge, with US 6 taking back SR 14, then US 6 should be the winner.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

The real question is, how many people have actually driven the full length of US 6 and US 20? Most I can claim for 6 is the 95 overlap in Nevada and from I-15 to US 191 in Utah.
US 20, however, I have from Newport Oregon to Cody Wyoming.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bickendan on August 24, 2020, 07:40:28 PM
The real question is, how many people have actually driven the full length of US 6 and US 20? Most I can claim for 6 is the 95 overlap in Nevada and from I-15 to US 191 in Utah.

I've done US 6 from Bishop East over Loveland Pass.  To that point US 6 is a reasonably speedy route but I couldn't fathom how much of a slog it would be through Denver and much of the Midwest. 

Bickendan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2020, 07:43:28 PM

I've done US 6 from Bishop East over Loveland Pass.  To that point US 6 is a reasonably speedy route but I couldn't fathom how much of a slog it would be through Denver and much of the Midwest. 
Even taking each jaunt off of I-70 through Colorado wouldn't be that much of a time sink -- it's akin to doing OR 99 off I-5 or US 30 from I-84.
But yeah, looking east of Denver, or east of Iowa on US 20... daunting.

Ketchup99

US-6 through Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York is a good "I'd rather not" situation if you're trying to get anywhere.

ClassicHasClass

The real question is, how many people have actually driven the full length of US 6 and US 20?

:wave: (for US 6)

http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/6/

Interesting to hear about Council Bluffs, since I'm working on the Iowa portion.

cl94

Adding up referenced DOT mileages for each state, I'm getting roughly 3220 miles (can't find an official mileage for Wyoming). That makes it longer than US 6.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quoteusing a method that I believe to be quite accurate (and in some cases, more accurate than the "official" distances posted by state departments of transportation)

And what method would that be?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bickendan on August 24, 2020, 07:48:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2020, 07:43:28 PM

Even taking each jaunt off of I-70 through Colorado wouldn't be that much of a time sink -- it's akin to doing OR 99 off I-5 or US 30 from I-84.
But yeah, looking east of Denver, or east of Iowa on US 20... daunting.

It's a different ball game out East with the US Routes.  It took me the better part of three years to finish US 27, 41, and 1 in Florida alone.  US 6 largely stays rural but the route only becomes more densely populated you go.  Driving through little towns can be great if there something quaint to see or hellish if all it entails is urban sprawl. 

usends

Quote from: cl94 on August 24, 2020, 11:55:31 PM
Adding up referenced DOT mileages for each state, I'm getting roughly 3220 miles (can't find an official mileage for Wyoming). That makes it longer than US 6.

What was the mileage for US 20 in Illinois, according to their DOT?

Flint1979

US-20 is supposedly 167 miles longer so I don't think making minor adjustments here and there are going to make US-6 longer than US-20. Even though US-6 runs on an angle US-20 goes further north and then comes around the bottom of Lake Erie that part is going to make it longer as well as the north-south section in central Wyoming. US-20 takes a more round about way of getting coast to coast than US-6 which doesn't even go coast to coast.

usends

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 25, 2020, 10:44:01 AM
US-20 is supposedly 167 miles longer...
"Supposedly" is the whole point of this thread: I am questioning the so-called "official" mileages.  My results are right there in the link for anyone to see, to compare to official DOT mileages, and/or to dispute if their own research indicates otherwise.

silverback1065

doesn't US 6 have a weird gap in western Colorado?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 25, 2020, 12:30:03 PM

It has several ambiguous gaps in CO now. CDOT considers US 6 to not exist when duplexed with I-70, though AASHTO does.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

zzcarp

Everything about US 6 in Colorado is "weird". Colorado seldom co-signs multiplexes between US routes and Interstates (short overlaps excepted) and it's not shown in the route logs.

US 6 enters Colorado unsigned at I-70 at Utah and exits at the unsigned Mack spur (I-70 Exit 11). Once it rejoins its original alignment, it's signed east through Fruita, Grand Junction, and Clifton and then back onto I-70 at exit 44.

US 6 leaves I-70 at I-70 exit 62 (unsigned from I-70), travels through De Beque and Rifle and rejoins at I-70 exit 109 (also unsigned from I-70 mainline).

There's another signed stretched from Gypsum to Minturn where it again rejoins I-70, though the CDOT route logs say it begins at the Eagle spur from I-70. US 6 is actually even signed on an I-70 exit sign westbound where it leaves I-70 at Minturn.

The next stretch is from Dillon/Silverthorne over Loveland Pass. US 6 is well signed on the exits as it is the main hazmat route over the continental divide (hazmat is banned in the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels).

East of Idaho Springs, US 6 leaves I-70 for the penultimate time, following Clear Creek canyon to Golden, then 6th Avenue which is a freeway to I-25 in Denver. There's no BGS mentions to follow the unsigned route on I-25 north, nor to exit onto I-70 east. However, it is well co-signed with reassurance markers on the I-70 mainline with US 85.

US 6 and US 85 follow Vasquez Boulevard northeast to I-76. US 6 is signed with reassurance markers on I-76 until US 85 leaves for Greeley at exit 12. US 6 disappears until it leaves I-76 at Brush (exit 92).  After that US 6 has an entirely independent and signed routing to Nebraska.

By my back of the envelope calculations, of the 467 miles of US 6 (per mile markers) in Colorado, about 169 miles of the first 372 are signed.

So many miles and so many roads

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2020, 12:52:03 PM

It has several ambiguous gaps in CO now. CDOT considers US 6 to not exist when duplexed with I-70, though AASHTO does.

I had heard at some point a few years ago it was decommissioned in/through Rifle.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Scott5114

I am suspicious of any methodology that doesn't use official DOT/AASHTO resources. Having dealt with this type of question dozens of times on Wikipedia with state routes, if you start straying from official sources, you risk misidentifying what the "real" route is.

So questions that I feel like need to be answered for this claim to hold up:
1) Where did the US 20 mileage in Yellowstone come from, anyway? Who published it? AASHTO? The Park Service?
2) What route does this US 20 mileage use? What agency asserts that the road in question is the route of US 20?
3) What agency maintains that road?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

zzcarp

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 25, 2020, 02:07:02 PM

I had heard at some point a few years ago it was decommissioned in/through Rifle.

You're correct. The CDOT route log shows a gap from CO 13 to just past the I-70 exit.

So many miles and so many roads

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: zzcarp on August 25, 2020, 02:21:30 PM

You're correct. The CDOT route log shows a gap from CO 13 to just past the I-70 exit.

But presumptively it is still field signed?

Mapmikey

I though I had a copy of the '89 AASHTO log but can't seem to find it.

Doesn't it give distances to the next US route intersection?  Should be that hard to figure out where it might be off.

My other vague recollection is that the bannered routes are buried within the listings, so are those included in the total?

usends

Quote from: zzcarp on August 25, 2020, 02:21:30 PM

In 2015 CDOT transferred jurisdiction over to the City of about one mile of US 6.  But it's still US 6.

Super Mateo

The real question is, how many people have actually driven the full length of US 6 and US 20?

I have not done either route in full, but have done the entire length of both routes in Illinois and US 6 in Indiana.

US 6 isn't too bad in the western half of IL.  It's low traffic and a nice alternate to I-80.  LaSalle/Peru can be a bit annoying, but otherwise, it's a nice drive.  Starting in Morris, though, going east, the pain comes.  There are two turns in Morris, then another relatively quiet area before hitting Minooka and Channahon, where traffic skyrockets.  Then there's downtown Joliet, with lots of turns and a draw bridge.  If you've still got the patience, you will go right through the heart of the south suburbs of Chicago.  And then the real "fun" begins when the route puts you right on the Kingery and Borman.  That's plenty of pain, but at least movement is faster.  US 6 exits in Lake Station and it fools you for 2 miles into thinking "this isn't too bad," where it turns east in Hobart.  There are a LOT of badly timed stoplights that feel like they're every block or two.  Don't expect to get anywhere fast.  You get to deal with Indiana drivers on top of that.  Somewhere between Hobart and Westfield, it calms down, and everything east of US 421 in IN is smooth unless a tractor shows up.

US 20 is smooth and easy west of Galena, but picks up some traffic in Galena proper.  Galena to Freeport is kind of rough; it's a two lane road with a fair amount of truck traffic.  Freeport to Cherry Valley is no problem; it's an expressway with low traffic.  It's still doable east into Elgin; east of Elgin...DON'T DO IT!  Talk yourself out of it.  It's not worth the headache.  Highlights include:  heavy traffic, merging onto a freeway just to get off of it right away, red light cameras, a 20 zone followed by a lengthy 25 zone, a railroad crossing that often has long freights, Chicago street parking, and a draw bridge.  It's horrible, even at 11 pm.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.