Something of a particular state’s highways your sad to see go

Started by roadman65, October 11, 2022, 08:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on October 11, 2022, 07:56:46 PM
Page number??

Main sign: 

Auxiliary sign (usually posted above the route shield: 

I'm not sure, but it seems like the disappearance of these signs is related to development along many of these routes over the years, rendering some of the routes to be less scenic and more (choke) developed.

Sorry, I thought I had added the page number.  The standard for the TN-22a sign and TN-22b auxiliary banner can be found on Page 34.
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/traffic-engineering/TN-Supplement%20to%20Highway%20Signs%202018%20final.pdf

US 89

Utah - the steady disappearance of the old, pre-2000s beehive shields.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 11, 2022, 09:07:45 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 11, 2022, 07:56:46 PM
Page number??

Main sign: 

Auxiliary sign (usually posted above the route shield: 

I'm not sure, but it seems like the disappearance of these signs is related to development along many of these routes over the years, rendering some of the routes to be less scenic and more (choke) developed.

Sorry, I thought I had added the page number.  The standard for the TN-22a sign and TN-22b auxiliary banner can be found on Page 34.
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/traffic-engineering/TN-Supplement%20to%20Highway%20Signs%202018%20final.pdf

SR 266 in Smyrna on Sam Ridley Pkwy is designated as a scenic parkway.  That should have been undesignated years ago.  It was designated once upon a time when the route was sleepy and scenic.  It is suburban sprawl now.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9742694,-86.5691078,3a,15y,22.12h,90.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4NCDlfuter6-zVL1NjjNgg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Henry

Thanks to a reconstruction project at the Circle Interchange and the Rapid-Fire ramps, I was unhappy to find that the brown gantries leading up to the interchange were gone. Those were my favorite features on that part of I-90/I-94.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ran4sh

Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

hbelkins

There are still plenty of those smaller mockingbird signs all over Middle and East Tennessee.

Earlier I spoke of the square signs for three- and four-digit routes in Kentucky. Then I saw this old photo on Facebook:

Much better looking than what's there now:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Henry on October 12, 2022, 10:56:52 AM
Thanks to a reconstruction project at the Circle Interchange and the Rapid-Fire ramps, I was unhappy to find that the brown gantries leading up to the interchange were gone. Those were my favorite features on that part of I-90/I-94.

I've got bad news for you regarding the brown gantries on the Kennedy north of downtown...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kirbykart

Quote from: ran4sh on October 12, 2022, 11:13:48 AM
What makes suburban "sprawl" automatically not scenic?
What about dozens of fast-food restaurants and department stores is scenic?

Tom958

Distinctive bridge designs in most states, replaced by look-alike AASHTO beam crap.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

Quote from: Quillz on October 11, 2022, 08:29:42 AM
Button copy is becoming less and less common in California as signs get replaced. I particularly will miss this style of button copy shields:

Aesthetically, I think the thicker border combined with the thinner crossbar looks really nice. This style dates back to at least the 1970s or so, if not older.
Same here anytime a freeway repair or repave project happens Caltrans removes the Button Copy because some of the signs have rust on them.

wanderer2575

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

achilles765

Quote from: cjk374 on October 12, 2022, 11:26:12 PM
Louisiana's green & white state highway signs.

I was just about to post this exact thing. Also, I'll miss all the state highways that are being removed and turned into parish roads.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Quillz

Rare color scheme. Even rarer is the reverse, green on white. South Dakota and Vermont come to mind.

Offhand, I think there are only five states that don't use black-on-white route shields: California, Minnesota, South Dakota, Vermont, South Carolina. Louisiana switched to black-on-white around 2014 or so.

XamotCGC

The Old BG Sign^
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Scott5114

Quote from: Quillz on October 13, 2022, 03:24:35 AM
Rare color scheme. Even rarer is the reverse, green on white. South Dakota and Vermont come to mind.

Offhand, I think there are only five states that don't use black-on-white route shields: California, Minnesota, South Dakota, Vermont, South Carolina. Louisiana switched to black-on-white around 2014 or so.

You're missing Kansas (black on yellow). New Mexico uses a red accent, but the numbers are black on white.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2022, 08:15:57 AM

You're missing Kansas (black on yellow). New Mexico uses a red accent, but the numbers are black on white.
That reminds me that Wyoming is also black-on-yellow. I didn't really consider New Mexico because it's still black-on-white when it comes to legend on a background.

On a slightly related note, Florida's colorful US highway shields. They were discontinued around 1993 or so. Each US highway had a different color and it was supposed to be that no routes with a similar color scheme would junction, although this didn't always happen. Arizona also had a similar system a long time ago, around the 1950s or so.

hbelkins

Quote from: XamotCGC on October 13, 2022, 03:49:55 AM

The Old BG Sign^

All the old parkway signs.

I wonder there may be an effort upcoming to change the parkway signs again. State government is moving away from the "Unbridled Spirit" branding in favor of "Team Kentucky." I wasn't a fan of "Unbridled Spirit" and was certainly not happy with the decision to change the parkway signage to include that logo, but I dislike "Team Kentucky" infinitely more for a number of reasons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

Old mercury-vapor and high-pressure sodium lights being replaced with LEDs. The MV/HPS luminaires always had very distinct designs from one another, so you were going to see variety everywhere you went. The LED ones, though, all look the same to me, boring with no style at all.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

I mean, that is specifically included in MUTCD guidance, after all.

Quote from: Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices – 2009 Edition
Chapter 2D – Guide Signs – Conventional Roads

§ 2D.11 – Design of Route Signs

Guidance:

11 – State Route signs (see Figure 2D-3) should be rectangular and should be approximately the same size as the U.S. Route sign. State Route signs should also be similar to the U.S. Route sign by containing approximately the same size black numerals on a white area surrounded by a rectangular black background without a border. The shape of the white area should be circular in the absence of any determination to the contrary by the individual State concerned.

Hey, by the way...  I see in the MUTCD that if "county road authorities elect to establish and identify a special system of important county roads", then "a statewide policy for such signing shall be established that includes a uniform numbering system to uniquely identify each route".  What implications does this have?  Does this mean that counties can't decide for themselves what numbers to use?  Does this mean that Colorado's hodgepodge of route markers runs in violation of the MUTCD?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2022, 11:56:40 AM

I mean, that is specifically included in MUTCD guidance, after all.

Quote from: Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices – 2009 Edition
Chapter 2D – Guide Signs – Conventional Roads

§ 2D.11 – Design of Route Signs

Guidance:

11 – State Route signs (see Figure 2D-3) should be rectangular and should be approximately the same size as the U.S. Route sign. State Route signs should also be similar to the U.S. Route sign by containing approximately the same size black numerals on a white area surrounded by a rectangular black background without a border. The shape of the white area should be circular in the absence of any determination to the contrary by the individual State concerned.

Hey, by the way...  I see in the MUTCD that if "county road authorities elect to establish and identify a special system of important county roads", then "a statewide policy for such signing shall be established that includes a uniform numbering system to uniquely identify each route".  What implications does this have?  Does this mean that counties can't decide for themselves what numbers to use?  Does this mean that Colorado's hodgepodge of route markers runs in violation of the MUTCD?

Could the statewide policy be to have no policy?  :spin:

Quote from: Henry on October 13, 2022, 10:31:24 AM
Old mercury-vapor and high-pressure sodium lights being replaced with LEDs. The MV/HPS luminaires always had very distinct designs from one another, so you were going to see variety everywhere you went. The LED ones, though, all look the same to me, boring with no style at all.

Forget that, I just miss the orange glow from the lights instead of blinding white. Technically, the white LEDs are safer and provide more visibility, but I'll miss the old ones.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 12, 2022, 10:54:39 PM
Michigan:  Underlined cardinal directions on BGSs.

On a similar note, MDOT using traditional FHWA fonts.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

texaskdog

I don't like taking the state names off interstate signs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.