News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Names of Roads or Crossings that don’t touch their namesakes

Started by roadman65, October 24, 2022, 10:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Quote from: Hobart on October 24, 2022, 12:26:39 PM
There are two examples in Chicago's west and southwest suburbs that immediately come to mind (and annoy me a lot).

First is Joliet Road. There's a stub between I-55 and IL-53. Although both roads it ends at actually end up going near or through Joliet, Joliet Road in its present form itself ends about six miles north of Joliet, at its closest. It picks up again at I-55 and I-294, runs through Indian Head Park and Countryside, and ends at East Avenue, where it was closed over a quarry. It then starts again in McCook as a northeast jog of 55th street, has US-66 split off, runs north to Ogden Avenue as Joliet Avenue, and then stops. Depending on how you interpret it, Joliet Road runs in three, or even four, distinct sections, none of which actually get you to Joliet.

Second is Plainfield Road. It runs from Lemont Road in Woodridge, northeast to the same East Avenue as Joliet Road, on the east side of La Grange. It then starts again in the south side of Brookfield, and runs to Ogden in Lyons. If you extended it southwest by 12 miles, it would probably hit Plainfield, but it doesn't come anywhere close in its current form.

My issue with both of these is that they not only fail to reach their intended destinations; they keep stopping and starting again, making them a less viable route to their originally intended locations.

Historically, Joliet Rd was named all the way to Caton Farm Rd before entering Crest Hill and being named Broadway. Romeoville changed the name to Independence Blvd in the Mid 70s.  So that one doesn't bother me so much because of the context. Plainfield Rd on the other hand, even in the historical aspect, did not come close to Plainfield ever even before the merge into 83rd St. At one point, I believe Plainfield Rd was also along Boughton Rd. If you look, the roadway lines up almost perfectly. But Boughton ends at Naperville-Plainfield Rd.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: Henry on October 24, 2022, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: Hobart on October 24, 2022, 12:26:39 PM
There are two examples in Chicago's west and southwest suburbs that immediately come to mind (and annoy me a lot).

First is Joliet Road. There's a stub between I-55 and IL-53. Although both roads it ends at actually end up going near or through Joliet, Joliet Road in its present form itself ends about six miles north of Joliet, at its closest. It picks up again at I-55 and I-294, runs through Indian Head Park and Countryside, and ends at East Avenue, where it was closed over a quarry. It then starts again in McCook as a northeast jog of 55th street, has US-66 split off, runs north to Ogden Avenue as Joliet Avenue, and then stops. Depending on how you interpret it, Joliet Road runs in three, or even four, distinct sections, none of which actually get you to Joliet.

Second is Plainfield Road. It runs from Lemont Road in Woodridge, northeast to the same East Avenue as Joliet Road, on the east side of La Grange. It then starts again in the south side of Brookfield, and runs to Ogden in Lyons. If you extended it southwest by 12 miles, it would probably hit Plainfield, but it doesn't come anywhere close in its current form.

My issue with both of these is that they not only fail to reach their intended destinations; they keep stopping and starting again, making them a less viable route to their originally intended locations.
It also happens with the IN side of the metro: US 41 in Gary is called Indianapolis Blvd, even though that route number goes nowhere near the state capital. In fact, you'll need to transfer to US 52 just outside Lafayette to complete the trip.
I believe pre I-65, Indianapolis Blvd was the most direct way to Indy from Chicago. If you follow the curve of Indy Blvd when it meets US 52's south junction, it does fall in line. That's probably also why US 52 is a divided highway going northwest to Lafayette. Here's the link to the 1950 state highway map. https://www.in.gov/indot/files/1950-ISHC-Highway-Map-Front-ilovepdf-compressed.pdf
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

jay8g

It's a little tough with unincorporated communities, but Burley-Olalla Road (which for a long time was the only at-grade intersection on SR 16) connects to neither place (it's too far north), instead ending at Bethel-Burley Road and Olalla Valley Road.

Techknow

In California, Monterey Road used to go from San Jose to Monterey but now US 101 runs parallel to it and has an exit but it still connects local destinations from Morgan Hill to Gilroy. It doesn't reach Monterey now

Also in California Soquel-San Jose Road presumably connected Soquel in Santa Cruz country to San Jose back in the 19th/early 20th country but now just terminates at Summit Road east of CA 35 (which is routed on Summit Road before intersecting with CA 17)/CA 17. It also doesn't reach San Jose

NWI_Irish96

In Calumet City, there's a Michigan City road that doesn't get anywhere near Michigan City.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Hunty2022

In Greene County, Virginia, Secondary Route 609 is called Fredericksburg Road. The problem is, the road doesn't come close to Fredericksburg. Once the route crosses into Orange County, it keeps it's 609 number, but becomes Scuffletown Road.

But, back before US-33, SR-609, VA-20 and any other route, Fredericksburg Road did reach Fredericksburg. It just got truncated to what is now VA Route 20. Now it just goes from US-33 east of Stanardsville to the Orange County line...

Also in Greene County, our portion of VA-230 is called Madison Road. The road DOES reach Madison County, and turns into Wolftown-Hood Road, but Madison Road never reaches the town of Madison.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

US 89

Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd in Georgia never actually enters Dunwoody limits, unlike the nearby similarly named Ashford-Dunwoody Rd and Chamblee-Dunwoody Rd.

Takumi

Petersburg Road in Powhatan County VA ends a long way before Petersburg, but it is how you’d get to Petersburg from Powhatan in the old days, though through a long, winding path with several changes of roads.

Similarly, Richmond/Old Richmond Road in Amelia/Nottoway counties does not go to Richmond. It’s named that way because it used to be the route of VA 153, which is how you get to Richmond from the Blackstone/Fort Pickett area. 153 was rerouted to a wider road that’s more suitable for military vehicles decades ago.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.