News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities Along A Freeway Where Scenery Changes

Started by roadman65, November 21, 2022, 11:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I know on I-70:through Columbus, OH you have rolling hills with forests and some farms east of it, but west of the city it’s flat open prairie.

On my first road trip to Cincy, I noticed it after leaving Columbus, though on I-71, it stood out for me after only been experienced to NJ, PA, NY, and all states along the I-95 corridor, with nothing coming before close to this ever for me.  I finally realized I crossed the Appalachians and seen life for the first time west of it all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on December 01, 2022, 06:47:16 AM
I-95 in Delaware goes from winding through downtown Wilmington to two lanes with very little development in a matter of a couple of miles.

Wow, I somehow didn't realize that it was still four lanes north of Wilmington. That makes it feel somewhat rural, but I definitely wouldn't say there's very little development. It's dense suburbia right up until the DE/PA line, and really all the way to I-476 IMO.

ChiMilNet

A few ones I can note that haven't been mentioned yet that I have been to:

- I-10 San Antonio, TX, East is flat while West is Hill Country
- I-55 Cape Girardeau/Scott City, MO - North is part of the Ozark Plateau while South is the Mississippi River Flood Plain
- I-57 Mt. Vernon, IL - North is typical Central Illinois (flat cornfields) while South is more rugged/hilly terrain and Shawnee National Forest
- I-90/94/39 Madison, WI - East/South is flat typical of Midwest while West/North is more rugged/hilly part of the driftless area
- I-80 (Ohio Turnpike) Cleveland Metro Area - West is flat typical of Midwest while East transitions to more rugged foothills of the Appalachians.
- I-75 Macon, GA - North is beginning of foothills for Appalachians while South is much more flat
- I-90 Rapid City, SD - East is the Great Plains/Badlands while West is the Black Hills

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.