News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Street View

Started by Alex, April 04, 2009, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

I-40 through Barstow, CA has some crystal-clear ones too... VERY high-quality photos.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

I normally hate necroposting, but Google Street View has reached Hawaii. There's now coverage of much of Oahu and some scattered parts of western Maui.

Here's an example, the eastern terminus of H-3.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Riverside Frwy

The Quality depends in Google street view.For example, alot of the photos on the Toll Roads out here in California are fantastic(California 261, 241, 73 and 133)

simguy228

The quality in Hawaii is too good. I'm doin' my Hawaii project in SC4, which will require some roadgeekery :spin: :-D :D :)
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Ian

My aunt herself is actually on street view!

What I hate the most about Google Street View, is that if I want to look up a road sign or a specific signal intersection on street view, at times it will come to be a terrible image, so I can't really see it. AGH!!!!  :banghead:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadfro

It seems like the Street View cameras have been improved greatly since they first started doing it. I've noticed that many locations where Street View has been introduced more recently have vastly superior imagery. From what I briefly recall seeing, some of the images on European street views were also quite superior to many of the U.S. images.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

WillWeaverRVA

I sure hope they go back to some of their original locations with the newer cameras and replace the blurry unusable images that are already there.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mr_Northside

It would be nice if they eventually sort of "archive" their images, say every 5 years or so, and continually have the cars out there updating images over time.
(I'm not sure if I can articulate this in a way that makes sense)... so that in 2015 you could maybe click on something that would allow you to view the images from, say, 2010.  Obviously, some images would be older than that,  but it would allow people to see what people on, say Jan 1, 2010, would see in any given location (obviously, not all streets are done yet).

So, to pick some year, in 2030 you could view what would hopefully be a rather current street view of a given location, and see what it looked like roughly 20 years ago (or 15, or 10....)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

simguy228

Well, sadly, Street View does not cover Berlin, Germany
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alex

And they drove beyond the Road Closed sign here...

FLRoads

From what I was told last week at work, the equipment that the Google team uses for their image capturing will soon be upgraded fully at the cost of $220K per unit, and that with this new equipment expect to see a drastic difference in the resolutions. It already appears that they are using at least one of these units (or some equivalent thereof) as certain places now have cleaner, crisper images for Street View.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

that would indeed be great if they would keep the old stuff.  In general, having google maps add a time dimension would be just beyond awesome...

I think in 10 years at the latest, that feature will be added, with hopefully maps going back several centuries culled from various historical resources.  Would be great to set the scroll bar to 1928 and see what the US routes looked like at the time.  The information is out there ...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 13, 2009, 01:24:32 PM
that would indeed be great if they would keep the old stuff.  In general, having google maps add a time dimension would be just beyond awesome...

I think in 10 years at the latest, that feature will be added, with hopefully maps going back several centuries culled from various historical resources.  Would be great to set the scroll bar to 1928 and see what the US routes looked like at the time.  The information is out there ...

Google Earth has a similar feature, but with satellite imagery. I could see them doing this if they could figure out how to archive all the street view images.
Will Weaver

vdeane

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 13, 2009, 08:24:42 PM
Google Earth has a similar feature, but with satellite imagery. I could see them doing this if they could figure out how to archive all the street view images.
Unfortunately in most places it only goes back to 1994.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

how did that happen?  it looks to be inside a tunnel, but the satellite view shows that the street is above ground.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 14, 2009, 09:20:19 PM
Welcome to the Twilight Zone......

Or "Time Tunnel" or "The Outer Limits"  :-D

Does Google have no quality control on this?  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

WillWeaverRVA

That is trippy. It seems the Google Street View folks have found several interdimensional portals. ;)
Will Weaver

deathtopumpkins

Whole stretch of [this] going both ways on US-33 east of I-81 in Harrisonburg, VA.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 14, 2009, 08:44:12 PM
how did that happen?  it looks to be inside a tunnel, but the satellite view shows that the street is above ground.
I think Google has started taking street view data at night, with disastrous results.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Michael

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 14, 2009, 09:20:19 PM
Welcome to the Twilight Zone......
Great song by Golden Earring!

Quote from: deanej on December 15, 2009, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 14, 2009, 08:44:12 PM
I think Google has started taking street view data at night, with disastrous results.

There is nighttime Street View imagery on I-90 eastbound near the eastern terminus of I-490 near Victor, NY.

SSOWorld

"New York State Throughway"? :eyebrow:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.