News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1-Lane Underpass

Started by Signal, July 03, 2013, 12:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webfil

Buffaboy

The World Famous Durham Canopener  :-D :-D:

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

mrsman

That bridge is low clearance, but not one lane.

empirestate

Quote from: mrsman on September 30, 2015, 07:29:19 AM

Perhaps it's one lane tall?  :-P

Big John

Quote from: empirestate on September 30, 2015, 10:33:50 AM

That would qualify as the standard maximum lane width is 12'.

vtk

So the problem is, the truck driver failed to turn the vehicle on its side before attempting to transit the underpass.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

empirestate

Quote from: vtk on October 01, 2015, 12:11:26 PM

So the problem is, the truck driver failed to turn the vehicle on its side before attempting to transit the underpass.

That's what happens when you get amateurs driving those rental boxes. :-D

JMAN_WiS&S

Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

steviep24

CtrlAltDel

Here's one along the Illinois Prairie Path.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Jardine

I can't remember where it is precisely, and cannot find a picture either, but I recall a travelogue video of and around the St. Lawrence Seaway and I'd swear I recall a 'teeny tiny' highway tunnel under it with a big old freighter gliding by above.  Dramatic picture, but I can't recall if the tunnel was one lane or not, but compared to the scale of the levees and the ship above, it looked microscopic.

:wow:

empirestate

Quote from: Jardine on December 17, 2015, 05:24:23 PM
I can't remember where it is precisely, and cannot find a picture either, but I recall a travelogue video of and around the St. Lawrence Seaway and I'd swear I recall a 'teeny tiny' highway tunnel under it with a big old freighter gliding by above.  Dramatic picture, but I can't recall if the tunnel was one lane or not, but compared to the scale of the levees and the ship above, it looked microscopic.

Yeah, that's right here. No StreetView, but a quick Google image search for "Eisenhower Locks Tunnel" will bring up the view you're thinking of.

Kniwt

Many of these along I-15 northeast of Las Vegas. Here is Exit 100, for instance:

Jardine

Quote from: empirestate on December 17, 2015, 10:51:07 PM

Yeah, that's right here. No StreetView, but a quick Google image search for "Eisenhower Locks Tunnel" will bring up the view you're thinking of.

LOL !!  That's it.  Love the thought of driving under ships.  Looks like it's 2 lane though.

Rothman

I don't have a picture, but I believe this underpass on Zoar Road (the road to one of the Hoosac Tunnel entrances from the east) could be considered one-lane:

https://goo.gl/maps/vd6mxzpWF8p
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jardine

Don't want to derail thread, but what's 'one lane' ??

We had a local bridge here, (nuked a few years ago) that was 22 feet wide (I measured it!!) and it was signed as a caution one lane bridge.  There was even a court case on it several years ago after an accident and one driver was cited for failing to yield half the roadway, and I believe he prevailed since it was 'one lane' and the accident was therefore both parties fault regardless of where on the bridge (left/right) they were at the moment of impact.  (this was 40 years ago, hope I am recalling it correctly)

==however==

as built, it was originally a 2 lane bridge (at the same width) from the 20s to the 50s.

So, it's signed as one lane, we have a court ruling relying on the signs, but as built, it's a 2 lane bridge.

Where do we stand on this ??  Original intent, or judicial activism run amok ??

D-Dey65

Quote from: Kniwt on December 17, 2015, 11:21:27 PM
Many of these along I-15 northeast of Las Vegas. Here is Exit 100, for instance:

On such a modern interstate that's close to the west coast, there's only one question to ask;

WHY?

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 16, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
It looks like a pedestrian tunnel. What's with the traffic signal, though?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 19, 2015, 09:59:53 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 16, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
It looks like a pedestrian tunnel. What's with the traffic signal, though?

It's actually not a pedestrian tunnel, but a road tunnel that connects residential streets. The stoplight is for making sure that only one direction of traffic uses the tunnel at any one time.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

DeaconG

Quote from: empirestate on December 17, 2015, 10:51:07 PM

https://youtu.be/EKpgGNN8__c
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Jardine

Appreciate that video.

Saves me the trip of going there.

D-Dey65

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 19, 2015, 04:50:25 PM

It's actually not a pedestrian tunnel, but a road tunnel that connects residential streets. The stoplight is for making sure that only one direction of traffic uses the tunnel at any one time.
Well, that makes sense as a road tunnel.

brycecordry

Wentzville, MO: Exit ramp from westbound Highway 40 to westbound I-70.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

wolfiefrick

Quote from: brycecordry on January 03, 2016, 01:10:08 AM
Wentzville, MO: Exit ramp from westbound Highway 40 to westbound I-70.
That one is pretty narrow, but it really never bothered me. It also doesn't carry two directions of traffic so it doesn't technically qualify.

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

doorknob60

Quote from: nexus73 on August 15, 2015, 06:23:13 PM
There is a one-lane underpass of US 101 at the Arizona Beach state park (Curry County) so that one can access the beach.  The access road is gravel. 

Rick

That's a state park now? I remember when it was a privately owned RV park. That place was awesome, one of our favorite places to camp on the coast. Too bad it's closed now. At least you can still visit it for day use, I'll have to check it out sometime. It would be nice if they added some camp sites back there, I'd totally make a trip out of it for nostalgia purposes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.