News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on January 15, 2016, 02:07:11 PM
More drama with the EOWA. Looks like Politics are now being dragged into it.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160113/BLOGS02/160119935/springfield-war-spreads-to-key-ohare-project

Read about this. Looks like Rahm is just trying to fight back against Rauner for not helping him bail out CPS.

Realistically, I'm going to have to say this is going to side with Rauner. Eminent domain of public land is always a touchy subject and there's really no clear rules. 1) O'hare is federal land, meaning Rahm can't just wave his finger around nilly wily 2) land should be re-appraised for the "real" market value 3) If this goes to the courts, most likely they're going to go by Daley's prior agreement with the tollway.

Bottom line is Rahm is just trying to throw a punch back at Rauner, but looks like it's a piss poor punch.

I-39

Quote from: johndoe780 on January 15, 2016, 04:57:11 PM
Quote from: I-39 on January 15, 2016, 02:07:11 PM
More drama with the EOWA. Looks like Politics are now being dragged into it.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160113/BLOGS02/160119935/springfield-war-spreads-to-key-ohare-project

Read about this. Looks like Rahm is just trying to fight back against Rauner for not helping him bail out CPS.

Realistically, I'm going to have to say this is going to side with Rauner. Eminent domain of public land is always a touchy subject and there's really no clear rules. 1) O'hare is federal land, meaning Rahm can't just wave his finger around nilly wily 2) land should be re-appraised for the "real" market value 3) If this goes to the courts, most likely they're going to go by Daley's prior agreement with the tollway.

Bottom line is Rahm is just trying to throw a punch back at Rauner, but looks like it's a piss poor punch.

True. This project needs to go through, so Rahm needs to shut up and stop acting like a crybaby.

CtrlAltDel

1) O'hare is federal land, meaning Rahm can't just wave his finger around nilly wily

Are you sure about that? If it's federal land, why is the city potentially selling it?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

noelbotevera

Alright, this is just my own opinion. So I will bold it, just in case the admins decide to delete this reply. To be honest, the corruption in Chicago is way off the charts. They've refused to build roads ever since the Crosstown was canceled, and I don't except for places like Thorndale Avenue to become IL 390. The governor might just scrap all the road construction into a paper ball and throw it in the trash, considering how slow construction has been going....it's been about two years since construction started, but I did expect it to be finished a little earlierthan that, but considering $$$ is a problem...I wonder how this will pull through.

johndoe780

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 15, 2016, 08:47:11 PM
1) O'hare is federal land, meaning Rahm can't just wave his finger around nilly wily

Are you sure about that? If it's federal land, why is the city potentially selling it?
O'hare is in Chicago. However, any and all business involved with O'hare is under Federal radar and scrutiny.

The city is selling it because the tollway just can't eminent domain it. Public government can't eminent domain public land. It's a rather convoluted topic, but to sum it up, Chicago can sell the land to the tollway.

quickshade

I think the state can get their own assessment on the property and offer a fair value. This is Rahm who is taking a lot of heat on all sides trying to push back a bit. It won't work.

EDIT: Build the road, skip this part and have traffic exit onto local streets, it won't take long for everyone to become upset and then you point the blame on Chicago for not playing fair.

dietermoreno

Why not just raise tolls to pay for the land aquisition if the Illinois Tollway isn't going to be just given the land for free anymore?

200 million out of the doubling of tolls to pay for the 12 billion dollar capital project would only require tolls to be raised about 5%. Mainline tollplazas NOT on I-355 south extension: $1.90 cash would become $2.00 cash and $0.95 IPass would become $1.00 IPass.  Mainline tollplazas ON I-355 south extension: $3.80 cash would become $4.00 cash and $1.90 IPass would become $2.00 IPass.

While were at it, we could raise tolls another 7.5% to pay for the 300 million dollar land acquistion for the IL-53 IL-120 project.  Mainline tollplazas NOT on I-355 south extension: $1.90 cash would become $2.15 cash and $0.95 IPass would become $1.10 IPass.  Mainline tollplazas ON I-355 south extension: $3.80 cash would become $4.30 cash and $1.90 IPass would become $2.15 IPass.

While were at it, we could raise tolls another 2.5% to pay 100 million dollars for 50 million dollars for Phase II engineering and environmental studies for the IL-53 IL-120 project and 50 million dollars for engineering and studies of emerging tollway projects, like the West Elgin-O'hare extension (protect a corridor before Hanover Park and Bartlet keep growing), the Central Tristate Rebuild, tolled improvements to the Eisenhower and Stevenson, the Crosstown Expressway / Midcity Transitway / Midcity Truckway, the Southland Chicago Expressway (I-394), the Richmond Bypass (protect a corridor before the suburbs reach Richmond), the Illiana Expressway (low priority until higher traffic volumes to pay enough tolls in 2030 but protect a corridor), and the Praire Parkway (low priority until higher traffic volumes to pay enough tolls in 2030, but protect a corridor and continue protecting the existing protected corridor).

While were at it, we could raise tolls another 5% to pay 200 million dollars to save in an account for land acquistion and corridor protection for the above emerging projects.

It would be the most fair to only raise tolls system wide if the money is going to improvements across the Chicago area that benefits all tollway customers in all areas of Chicago.  So a TOTAL system wide toll increase of 20%.  Mainline tollplazas NOT on I-355 south extension: $1.90 cash would become $2.30 cash and $0.95 IPass would become $1.15 IPass.  Mainline tollplazas ON I-355 south extension: $3.80 cash would become $4.45 cash and $1.90 IPass would become $2.25 IPass.

I would gladly pay 20% higher tolls to fund this when I choose to use the tollway - when I don't use IL-59 (I-355 alternate from Barington to Aurora), Plank Rd and US 20 and the Elgin O'hare and Thorndale Ave and IL-83 and IL-38 (I-88 alternate from Oakbrook Terrace to Dekalb), IL-83 (I-294 alternate from Wheeling to Willowbrook), I-290 and IL -53 and US 12 (I-90 alternate from the west side to Madison), and US -41 (I-294 alternate from Skokie to Kenosha), and IL-53 (old US 66 first bypass) and Joliet Rd (old US 66 first bypass) and I-55 (old US 66 second bypass) (I-355 South Extension alternate from Boilingbrook to Joliet).  I often use alternate routes to not pay tolls even if it takes a little longer.

quickshade

I'd like to wait until after the election. Several candidates have suggested rebuilding our infrastructure. So if someone like Bernie get's elected and gets a 1 Trillion dollar infrastructure improvement plan passed I would venture to bet ISTHA would get some pretty good funding out of it.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: dietermoreno on January 31, 2016, 06:46:59 PM
Why not just raise tolls to pay for the land aquisition if the Illinois Tollway isn't going to be just given the land for free anymore?

200 million out of the doubling of tolls to pay for the 12 billion dollar capital project would only require tolls to be raised about 5%. Mainline tollplazas NOT on I-355 south extension: $1.90 cash would become $2.00 cash and $0.95 IPass would become $1.00 IPass.  Mainline tollplazas ON I-355 south extension: $3.80 cash would become $4.00 cash and $1.90 IPass would become $2.00 IPass.

While were at it, we could raise tolls another 7.5% to pay for the 300 million dollar land acquistion for the IL-53 IL-120 project.  Mainline tollplazas NOT on I-355 south extension: $1.90 cash would become $2.15 cash and $0.95 IPass would become $1.10 IPass.  Mainline tollplazas ON I-355 south extension: $3.80 cash would become $4.30 cash and $1.90 IPass would become $2.15 IPass.

While were at it, we could raise tolls another 2.5% to pay 100 million dollars for 50 million dollars for Phase II engineering and environmental studies for the IL-53 IL-120 project and 50 million dollars for engineering and studies of emerging tollway projects, like the West Elgin-O'hare extension (protect a corridor before Hanover Park and Bartlet keep growing), the Central Tristate Rebuild, tolled improvements to the Eisenhower and Stevenson, the Crosstown Expressway / Midcity Transitway / Midcity Truckway, the Southland Chicago Expressway (I-394), the Richmond Bypass (protect a corridor before the suburbs reach Richmond), the Illiana Expressway (low priority until higher traffic volumes to pay enough tolls in 2030 but protect a corridor), and the Praire Parkway (low priority until higher traffic volumes to pay enough tolls in 2030, but protect a corridor and continue protecting the existing protected corridor).

Richmond Bypass  / FAP 420 Is some what protected but We need a trump to kick the environmentalists out or maybe some high end way to work around some of areas. Or even pull a west dodge expressway.

dietermoreno

Or even pull a west dodge expressway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2631136,-96.0942602,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seczuqSFhwHTZIWqFU0Mi1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2633325,-96.0985127,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1PKobVyp5ZYl4Ygrrx8iKA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D1PKobVyp5ZYl4Ygrrx8iKA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D4.5278549%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

On top of Rt 12 through downtown Richmond?  Rt 12 through downtown Richmond is only about 40 feet wide it looks like.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Richmond,+IL/@42.4762571,-88.3063121,152m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880f7cbd5bf02fe7:0x58e8938746a9eb1c!6m1!1e1

Maybe pave over the praire trail and make as Main St one way south one lane wide, make existing Main St one way north, put the supporting piers on the west side of existing Main St where parking is, have perpendicular parking between the supporting piers, have perpendicular parking on the east side of the existing Main St, and one lane wide traveling north on existing Main St.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Richmond,+IL/@42.4765513,-88.3076781,153m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880f7cbd5bf02fe7:0x58e8938746a9eb1c!6m1!1e1

I don't think the downtown Richmond business owners and residents would be okay with a tollway over their stores and houses.

Joe The Dragon

I was thinking some like the west dodge expressway over parts of US12 lake zurich (IL-53 alt), fox lake (fap 420 alt). Other parts of us 12 can be RIRO expressway with parts of IL-120 lakemoor RIRO.

Maybe do something the I-355 EXT or one of plans for the IL-53 EXT to work around the environmentalists that are in the way of the Richmond bypass and volo bog, may be have to be toll and not free. Also maybe an link to an IL-47 area (Huntley bypass and then down to prairie parkway)
or ALT bypass of mc area toll road. Link some ware between wonder lake and Mcullom lake and then a long bull valley rd area back to IL-120. (know parts of that area well)

May be to hard to get to randall rd / james rakow road but randall rd has the room to do a west dodge expressway or maybe just one that is not 2 level. Upgrading IL-31 may be hard other then just 4-6 laneing it. (know parts of that area well)

Upgarded us12 may have to be free
US 12 waucoda just needs more RIRO / longer frontages and maybe 1-2 more overpass.  Up to volo maybe 1-2 utrun bays or an overpass or 2.

waucoda to lake zurich mix of RIRO with longer frontages and maybe 1-3 more overpass and a west dodge expressway setup (Room to toll part of it)

and then may have to keep the upper level all the way till lake cook road / IL-53.

quickshade

You could never upgrade 12 to handle that traffic and still be a local "highway/roadway". Some of that traffic on 12 is local traffic, and considering the massive expansion that happened around 12 most of it is now retail outlets that require stoplights. The cost of building something to handle both would be no cheaper than building 53 and would most likely face even more criticism because it would not handle the traffic flow like 53 would.

53 should be built, 120 in both directions should be semi expressway from i94 to Volo, from their convert it to a 6 lane parkway and tie it into 31 after McHenry, all the way up to where 12 meets into 31 at the 4 way now. Force the traffic to bottleneck in Richmond and claim your hands are tied. I'm not one for ruining the environment, but this has been a plan going back to the late 60's, time to stop acting like we can't move forward anymore.

The 120 bypass of Mchenry could still be completed, and while the 31 bypass of Mchenry more than likely could not happen anymore, completing 1 section of the project would be a vast improvement to the rest of the roadways as far as signal timing and traffic flow goes.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on February 02, 2016, 03:23:55 PM
You could never upgrade 12 to handle that traffic and still be a local "highway/roadway". Some of that traffic on 12 is local traffic, and considering the massive expansion that happened around 12 most of it is now retail outlets that require stoplights. The cost of building something to handle both would be no cheaper than building 53 and would most likely face even more criticism because it would not handle the traffic flow like 53 would.

53 should be built, 120 in both directions should be semi expressway from i94 to Volo, from their convert it to a 6 lane parkway and tie it into 31 after McHenry, all the way up to where 12 meets into 31 at the 4 way now. Force the traffic to bottleneck in Richmond and claim your hands are tied. I'm not one for ruining the environment, but this has been a plan going back to the late 60's, time to stop acting like we can't move forward anymore.

The 120 bypass of Mchenry could still be completed, and while the 31 bypass of Mchenry more than likely could not happen anymore, completing 1 section of the project would be a vast improvement to the rest of the roadways as far as signal timing and traffic flow goes.

IL-120 and o'plaine road needs a overpass / underpass and full I-94 Interchange (no clover leaf) Making IL-120 toll makes it easier or just have start a slow move to have the full IL-toll way be like the ERT 407 or the EOE. ETC or pay online / by mail (added admin fee no penalties).

add more ramps at IL-21 if needed for local moves (IL-120 has some local stuff that can be linked by forage roads + 1-2 over/under passes).

IL-31 is now 4 lanes though  Mchenry looks easy to make it 4 lanes from there to ring wood and to Richmond by us12. Same thing for US-12 to Fox lake.

Joe The Dragon

If they Built the Richmond bypass then can have a FAP 420 ALT using a Link some ware between wonder lake and Mcullom lake and then a long bull valley rd area back to IL-120 may have to be upgraded local roads with some over/under passes.

It may have to come down to HOMES or environmentalists and they have to make the choice soon as the area is growing and there may even be a need for a link from that US-12 WI down to I-90 and to I-94 + IL-53.  IL-53 is needed as well for helping lake. 

tribar

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 03, 2016, 09:57:39 AM

IL-31 is now 4 lanes though  Mchenry looks easy to make it 4 lanes from there to ring wood and to Richmond by us12. Same thing for US-12 to Fox lake.

Only north of 120. South of 120 it's still 2 lanes.

quickshade

Quote from: tribar on February 03, 2016, 04:46:27 PM

31 From 120 to Charles Miller Road is in the planning stages, and from Charles Miller road to 176 is waiting for funding and environmental studies to finish. you could make 120 4 lanes from 47 to McHenry, and I know they are studying 47 through auntly to 4 lanes.

So much of the traffic issues we have are just finishing roadway studies and most likely lack funding, which brings me back to the fund the infrastructure plans that need to go through washington.

dietermoreno

It would probably be cheaper to build the IL-53 - IL-120 parkway below grade than to build 8 miles or so of elevated expressway from 53 and Lake Cook Rd to 12 and Lake Cook to northwest of Miller Rd and 12 and underpass Old McHenry Rd and underpass Old Rand Rd and underpass Bonner Rd. 
https://www.google.com/maps/search/lake+cook+rd+to+wauconda+distance+us+12/@42.269944,-88.1612641,12.5z

For example, the Los Angeles Century Freeway cost $127 million per mile.  8 miles x $127 million = 1.016 billion dollars
http://www-pam.usc.edu/volume2/v2i1a3s2.html

If the cost per underpass was $12 million, then $12 million x 3 = $36 million for underpasses without an interchange
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101028093438AAa5pm7

If the cost of a trumpet interchange at Old McHenry Rd was $8 million and the cost of tight diamond interchanges at Miller Rd, Cuba Rd, Rt 22, Quinten Rd, Lake Cook Rd, and Hicks Rd was $6 million each, then $8 million + 6x$6 million = $42 milion for interchanges
http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/I69/Tier1/FEIS/Vol2-Appendixes/Appendix_HH.pdf

Also say the cost of a directional interchange at Lake Cook Rd and IL-53 costs $12 million

Signing and lighting on an interstate standard road not including interchanges lets say $150,000 per mile = 1.2 million

If signing and lighting cost $150,000 for a tight diamond interchange, $175,000 for a trumpet interchange, and $500,000 for a directional interchange = $825,000

Lets say engineering cost $50 million

So total of 1.142 billion dollars not including completeing upgrading US 12 to interstate standards from north of Miller Rd to south of 120.

Lets say $2.5 million per mile for a 4 lane freeway divided by a concrete median.  $2.5 million x 12 miles from north of Miller Rd to south of 120 = $30 million

Add another $150,000 per mile in signing and lighting for 12 miles = $1.8 million

Now lets add a concrete barrier on each side of the freeway to separate adding a two way two lane frontage road on each side of the freeway for 12 miles, with each mile of concrete barrier on one side of the road costing $500,000 per mile, with each mile of two way two lane frontage road on one side of the road costing $825,000 per mile = 2x$500,000x12 + 2x$825,000x12 = $31.8 million

Total cost of a freeway of this type from Lake Cook Rd and 53 to US 12 and south of 120 including upgrading existing at grade road= 1.21 billion dollars

Not including noise walls

If noise walls cost $30,000 per residence, and if 400 residences were noise mitagated from 53 and Lake Cook to US 12 and south of 120, then = $12 million

Total cost of freeway of this type from Lake Cook Rd and 53 to US 12 and south of 120 including upgrading existing at grade road and noise walls= 1.33 billion dollars.

Not including environmental mitigation

If environmental mitigation cost $10,000 per acre and 2 acres wide were mitigated for 20 miles and since a square mile is 640 acres than a mile is 80 acres long = $10,000 x 2 acres wide x 80 acres long x 20 miles = 3200 acres x $10,000 = $32 million

Total cost of freeway of this type from Lake Cook Rd and 53 to US 12 and south of 120 including upgrading existing at grade road, including noise walls, and including environmental mitigation = 1.362 billion dollars

Now what if we toll this road and reroute US 12 to Old Rand Rd in Wauconda and Lake Zurich and reroute US 12 to the frontage roads in between.  The IL - 53 - IL -120 finance commitee suggests electronic toll collection infrastructure will cost $75 million.
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/3249733/2015+03+53-120+Finance+Committee_Final+Report.pdf

Also, the IL -53 - IL -120 finance committee suggests engineering will cost $500 million, not $50 million.

Total cost of tollway of this type from Lake Cook Rd and 53 to US 12 and south of 120 including upgrading existing at grade road, including noise walls, including environmental mitigation, including electronic toll collection infrastructure, and including $500 million engineering = 1.887 billion dollars

Also, the IL-53 - IL -120 finance committe suggests a 30% construction contingency is needed.

30% of 1.887 billion dollars = $566 million

Total cost of tollway of this type from Lake Cook Rd and 53 to US 12 and south of 120 including upgrading existing at grade road, including noise walls, including environmental mitigation, including electronic toll colleciton infrastructure, including $500 million engineering, and including 30% construction contingency= 2.45 billion dollars

The IL-53 - IL -120 finance commitee estimates the project will cost 2.35 billion dollars on the low end to 2.65 billion dollars on the high end.

So its actually almost the same price.

Joe The Dragon

What about less overpasses and a few U-turn bays? There is room in at least a few areas to widen the split out a bit and have some. concrete barrier? why not just a wire cable barrier one?

Also dual full frontages are not really needed. Some areas can get by with with RIRO  + reworked local roads (more links) and joining drive ways.

Or maybe more widening + jughandles or Michigan lefts.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 05, 2016, 05:43:43 PM
What about less overpasses and a few U-turn bays? There is room in at least a few areas to widen the split out a bit and have some. concrete barrier? why not just a wire cable barrier one?

Also dual full frontages are not really needed. Some areas can get by with with RIRO  + reworked local roads (more links) and joining drive ways.

Or maybe more widening + jughandles or Michigan lefts.

Honestly, if an investment is going to be spent to upgrades to existing routes, do it right, spend a little more, and make it feasible long term! I think the upgrades to the Elgin-O'Hare are a good example of how to go about making upgrades using toll money. The fact is, the EOE will be used no matter what. We live in a state where people know and accept that they need to pay tolls to get any major highways or upgrades built.

Back to the EOE, I know the focus is on completing around O'Hare, which I really think people almost overlook the benefits this could have to congestion at both the 294/90/190 interchange areas, as well as the 294/290/88 interchange (takes cars off the ramps at those interchanges as another way to get to I-294 south from the NW Suburbs). However, since some ROW exists, and the congestion is notorious in that area, why not begin now looking at options for at least extending west from the current West terminus to at least the Western Lake Street connection. That area around Barrington Road is almost unbearable.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on February 03, 2016, 08:49:55 PM
Quote from: tribar on February 03, 2016, 04:46:27 PM

31 From 120 to Charles Miller Road is in the planning stages, and from Charles Miller road to 176 is waiting for funding and environmental studies to finish. you could make 120 4 lanes from 47 to McHenry, and I know they are studying 47 through auntly to 4 lanes.

So much of the traffic issues we have are just finishing roadway studies and most likely lack funding, which brings me back to the fund the infrastructure plans that need to go through washington.

If only there was some alt history with randall rd / James R rakow road could have been at least a 4 lane expressway from I-90 to IL-31 (maybe even rerouting IL-31 over it)  (would have killed the need for the Algonquin bypass). May even even loop it back to elgin bypass. Then elgin Bypass to I-88.

Then when they link the EOE to elgin Bypass it can be come I-290 with I-355 going to at least I-90 maybe even IL-120 / I-94

The Ghostbuster

OT: Are they going to build a new Des Planies Oasis on Interstate 90, to replace the one that was demolished to make way for the West O'Hare Bypass?

quickshade

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2016, 04:18:48 PM
OT: Are they going to build a new Des Planies Oasis on Interstate 90, to replace the one that was demolished to make way for the West O'Hare Bypass?

In short no, They needed the room for the i90 expansion and 390 tie in. I believe they were pretty expensive and never generated the capital that would make them feasible to want and try again. Relics of the old age I guess you can say.

paulthemapguy

If you all want to discuss developments in Lake County, IL (Lake Zurich, Volo, etc.) you might want to check out this thread

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17410.0
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway will be underutilized until the West O'Hare Bypass is completed? I suspect it might be.

abefroman329

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 17, 2016, 03:19:59 PM
Does anyone think the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway will be underutilized until the West O'Hare Bypass is completed? I suspect it might be.

It's also going to be really underutilized if they never build any sort of western access route to O'Hare.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.