News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, November 15, 2016, 07:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: ahj2000 on August 20, 2021, 12:26:33 AM
Anyone with insider knowledge have any idea when we're going to see signs go up?
Don't have any insider knowledge, but based on what happened with I-285, it could be up to 6 months after AASHTO approval for it to be initially signed and perhaps up to 2 years before overhead signs are placed along the route. I-285 was approved in May 2018, but it wasn't until that November that the first ground mounted signage went up. It wasn't until March 2020 that new overhead signs were put up between I-85 and I-40.

The Ghostbuster

Would it have been possible to have given the US 264 corridor different 3di designations that did not have to wait for Interstate 87 to make it to the US 64/264 split? Maybe 264 between US 64 and Interstate 95 could have been an extension of Interstate 795, and the rest of the 264 freeway from Wilson to Greenville could have been Interstate 195/395/or 595.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 20, 2021, 07:50:54 PM
Would it have been possible to have given the US 264 corridor different 3di designations that did not have to wait for Interstate 87 to make it to the US 64/264 split? Maybe 264 between US 64 and Interstate 95 could have been an extension of Interstate 795, and the rest of the 264 freeway from Wilson to Greenville could have been Interstate 195/395/or 595.
That just seems far more confusing than what's currently proposed...

I-87 will ultimately connect Raleigh and Norfolk, and I-587 will branch off I-87 outside Raleigh to connect towards Greenville, intersecting I-95 halfway.

Having two routes is confusing than a single number.

Mapmikey

NCDOT had 595 lined up if the freeway west of 95 was not accepted as an interstate corridor but the segment to Greenville was.

LM117

I wonder if the exit numbers and mile markers on the 795/264 overlap will be changed to that of I-587 or I-795. I was surprised when NCDOT kept 264's exit numbers since interstates are supposed to take priority in the event of an overlap with a state or US route. :hmm:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ahj2000

Quote from: LM117 on August 21, 2021, 04:02:52 PM
I wonder if the exit numbers and mile markers on the 795/264 overlap will be changed to that of I-587 or I-795. I was surprised when NCDOT kept 264's exit numbers since interstates are supposed to take priority in the event of an overlap with a state or US route. :hmm:
I would read that as they planned to use it for the 587/595 corridor?

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on August 21, 2021, 04:02:52 PM
My assumption would be the exit numbers for I-587. Them keeping US-264's numbers when I-795 was assigned was logical, given it's the main route. I-795 merely uses US-264's pavement to reach its independent section. The same will apply when I-587 is designated officially.

WashuOtaku

I reached out to NCDOT a few weeks ago in regards of I-587 and what might happen to US 264. I got a response today that they are indeed planning to submit a rerouting to US 264 and a elimination of US 264 ALT in the AASHTO Fall Meeting. They were even kind enough to share the draft files they plan to use in the upcoming meeting.

In the requests, they will relocate US 264 along existing US 264 Alt from Exit 51 south through Saratoga and Farmville, then in Greenville it will connect onto NC 11 Bypass north, a total of 26.43 miles relocation; that section of US 264 Alt will be eliminated.

The timeline after that depends on other factors, but they hope to have I-587 and US 264 signage done in 2022.

sprjus4

^ That's good news to hear. Hopefully they're planning similarly for the remainder portions of I-587 and all of I-87 in the future, to have the US highway re-routed onto its original alignment as the interstate takes over the mainline.

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 27, 2021, 10:42:46 PM
I reached out to NCDOT a few weeks ago in regards of I-587 and what might happen to US 264. I got a response today that they are indeed planning to submit a rerouting to US 264 and a elimination of US 264 ALT in the AASHTO Fall Meeting. They were even kind enough to share the draft files they plan to use in the upcoming meeting.

In the requests, they will relocate US 264 along existing US 264 Alt from Exit 51 south through Saratoga and Farmville, then in Greenville it will connect onto NC 11 Bypass north, a total of 26.43 miles relocation; that section of US 264 Alt will be eliminated.

The timeline after that depends on other factors, but they hope to have I-587 and US 264 signage done in 2022.
Presumably, that will mean the installation of I-587 exit numbers, at least along the signed section east of I-95 at the same time the new signage is installed.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 27, 2021, 10:42:46 PM

I didn't think NCDOT would do it, but I'm glad they are. Hopefully, AASHTO will approve it. Now if NCDOT will just sign I-587 as E/W...

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 27, 2021, 11:22:41 PM
^ That's good news to hear. Hopefully they're planning similarly for the remainder portions of I-587 and all of I-87 in the future, to have the US highway re-routed onto its original alignment as the interstate takes over the mainline.

I think they will. I find it hard to believe that they'll put US-264 back on it's old alignment east of Wilson, but leave it as is west of it once I-587 reaches Zebulon.

If it happens, that also means the pointless 64/264 overlap will go bye-bye. I'm all for it.

tolbs17

I doubt it will go any further east than Wesley Church Rd. That part of highway sucks and is only two-lanes and gets BUSY.

snowc

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 11, 2021, 08:52:34 PM
I doubt it will go any further east than Wesley Church Rd. That part of highway sucks and is only two-lanes and gets BUSY.
Welcome back tolbs!  :colorful:
It DOES get busy!

tolbs17

Alps

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2021, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on September 22, 2021, 07:51:36 PM
540 is an even number yet it's signed as a N-S route. So, why not for I-587?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7465655,-78.8952704,3a,47.6y,88.94h,106.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGRGrgYsNITWOH95oikzP2A!2e0!5s20210701T000000!7i16384!8i8192
that rule requires 2-digits and interstate shields, neither of which applies here
NCDOT unfortunately doesn't realize the former.  The latter would be why this section is signed north-south.  I briefly got my hopes up that we could give NCDOT an example to make them come to their senses, but no, it's NC 540 and not I-540 (which is in fact signed east-west).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sprjus4

State transportation secretary hopes for I-587 designation in 2022
QuoteA state transportation department official gave a status update on the future of I-587 and other roadway projects during a virtual event sponsored by the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

Transportation Secretary J. Eric Boyette said $26 million has been spent on resurfacing, installing guardrails and widening highway shoulders to bring the stretch of U.S. 264 between Greenville and Zebulon up to interstate standards.

"We understand what it means for North Carolina, especially for Greenville and Pitt County,"  Boyette said. "This will be the first conversation to a major interstate.

"It's not only the interstate designation,"  he said. "It plays a role for improving the transportation infrastructure for us as a state, but there is job creation, access to health care and recreation. It's how we connect our state across all our county lines."

It's expected the Federal Highway Administration will rule on its interstate designation sometime in 2022, Boyette said.

Certified public accountant Benny Hardy asked what residents could do to ensure the interstate designation remains a priority.

The bulk of the physical work is complete, said Thomas Taft Jr., Division 2 representative on the state Board of Transportation.

"I think it's just a matter of keeping the pressure on the feds to not let this slip behind anymore,"  Taft said. "It's really more of a squeaky wheel scenario, not to overuse that."

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 23, 2021, 05:15:23 PM
QuoteA state transportation department official gave a status update on the future of I-587 and other roadway projects during a virtual event sponsored by the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

Transportation Secretary J. Eric Boyette said $26 million has been spent on resurfacing, installing guardrails and widening highway shoulders to bring the stretch of U.S. 264 between Greenville and Zebulon up to interstate standards.

"We understand what it means for North Carolina, especially for Greenville and Pitt County,"  Boyette said. "This will be the first conversation to a major interstate.

"It's not only the interstate designation,"  he said. "It plays a role for improving the transportation infrastructure for us as a state, but there is job creation, access to health care and recreation. It's how we connect our state across all our county lines."

It's expected the Federal Highway Administration will rule on its interstate designation sometime in 2022, Boyette said.

Certified public accountant Benny Hardy asked what residents could do to ensure the interstate designation remains a priority.

The bulk of the physical work is complete, said Thomas Taft Jr., Division 2 representative on the state Board of Transportation.

"I think it's just a matter of keeping the pressure on the feds to not let this slip behind anymore,"  Taft said. "It's really more of a squeaky wheel scenario, not to overuse that."
That would be news to AASHTO which approved the I-587 designation based on getting word from the FHWA that it had already approved the route. Either the news hasn't gotten to the Secretary's office or, since they don't have plans to put up signs until 2022, they are using this as the excuse why it is not being signed immediately.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on September 23, 2021, 11:45:47 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 23, 2021, 05:15:23 PM

That would be news to AASHTO which approved the I-587 designation based on getting word from the FHWA that it had already approved the route. Either the news hasn't gotten to the Secretary's office or, since they don't have plans to put up signs until 2022, they are using this as the excuse why it is not being signed immediately.

There is an obvious lack of communication within NCDOT. I found that out firsthand when I emailed them a question that asked what the timetable was for putting I-42 shields on the Goldsboro Bypass, and the guy who responded to me was under the impression that it was still "Future I-42". This was after former NCDOT Chief Engineer Tim Little told the US-70 Corridor Commission that FHWA had given it's approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42. I suspect this is another case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

WashuOtaku noted upthread that NCDOT is planning to seek approval to re-route US-264 onto it's old alignment between Saratoga and Greenville, so that also may be the reason for the delay in signing I-587.

If Boyette really is unaware that FHWA has already approved I-587 while other NCDOT employees were and didn't tell him, then that's just embarrassing.

tolbs17

If US-264 does get rerouted between Saratoga and Greenville, will US-264 Alternate be converted to a business route? Since it's only one town it goes through as apposed to an alternate which goes through several.

I hope it doesn't get rerouted where US-13 runs on because that's a clogged part.

sprjus4

^ I don't think any of the re-routings is going to increase actual traffic volumes on one of the arterial routes. Though traffic would still follow the interstate.

Strider

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 25, 2021, 02:39:25 PM
If US-264 does get rerouted between Saratoga and Greenville, will US-264 Alternate be converted to a business route? Since it's only one town it goes through as apposed to an alternate which goes through several.

I hope it doesn't get rerouted where US-13 runs on because that's a clogged part.

No. US 264 Alternative will remain north of Saratoga going towards Wilson. It is just the part between Saratoga and Greenville where they want US-264 to be put back on.

tolbs17

Quote from: Strider on September 26, 2021, 06:48:56 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on September 25, 2021, 02:39:25 PM

No. US 264 Alternative will remain north of Saratoga going towards Wilson. It is just the part between Saratoga and Greenville where they want US-264 to be put back on.
I'm talking about east of Wilson.

Which option do you guys like the best?

Option 1: http://prntscr.com/1tw0f95

Option 2: http://prntscr.com/1tw0n1u

Option 3: http://prntscr.com/1tw0qre the non-freeway section of Martin Luther King Jr Highway will have no route number.

For me, I like option 1 the best.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on March 18, 2021, 10:17:17 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 30, 2019, 10:10:06 AM
A contract was awarded for repaving US-264 in Greene and Pitt counties. The project includes shoulder widening, which will bring this stretch up to interstate standards, leaving only the stretch between Sims and Zebulon to contend with. That stretch will need increased bridge clearances in addition to wider shoulders.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-30-pavement-rehab-greene-pitt-counties.aspx

This upgrade has been completed ahead of schedule.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-03-17-pitt-greene-highway-paving-complete.aspx

For anyone that wants to take a 'virtual' tour of the recent upgrade, new Google Streetview images taken in June 2021 are available.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.