News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mon-Fayette Expressway

Started by Mr_Northside, August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kein Mitleid

It would be nice to see the street view for new highways like these uploaded to Google Maps faster.

Yet they do street views of Los Angeles and other big places like 10 times a day? I guess they're just being cost-effective.

PAHighways

Last Section of Expressway, Bridge Set to Open in July - Uniontown Herald-Standard

One year after the Mason-Dixon Line section opened to traffic, the last piece between West Virginia and PA 51 will open.

CanesFan27

Most likely will get to drive it the weekend of the 21st when we are up for a family reunion.  Looking forward to it.

hbelkins

And maybe someday, our great-great-grandchildren will get to drive the whole thing all the way up to the airport.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ARMOURERERIC

Any chance at all that the PTC will move on to the 22/79 segment?

Mr_Northside

There was no mention of a "Community Day" in the article, so I have doubts they'll have a day for pedestrians/bikes before it opens to vehicular traffic (like other sections). 

Also, the last few lines in the article:

Kasunic said the the Findlay Connector should be built

"It's very doable and should be done,"  Kasunic, noting that it would provide faster access to Pittsburgh International Airport

The other two sections may never receive funding. "Probably not in our lifetime,"  Kasunic said.

The "Findlay Connector" has been built for a while.  I wonder if it's an old quote, or was actually in reference to another section....

*EDIT*:
I re-read those last paragraphs, and apparently he (or the writer) refers to I-79 <-> US 22 as the "Findlay Connector", which is what they called US-22 <-> Airport.  I suppose it would be the Findlay Connector Connector.

And I also agree that if nothing else, that section should be built in the near future.  It's further along, and more rural.  However, we might just be "THAT broke".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

The PTC already held a "Community Day" for this section when Phase I opened in 2008.

PAHighways

PAHighways

I re-certified Turnpike 43 today by picking up the newly opened miles.

The PTC decided to make the PA 88 interchange at the former end of the old expressway toll-free one, keeping 88 a free route and allowing those who live south of Exit 28 from having to pay a toll.  The southbound guide signs at that interchange have "LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL" banners.

Also, from the Bureau of Redundancy Bureau, I spotted a TOLL SOUTH PA TURNPIKE 43 assembly just south of Exit 26.

rickmastfan67

Did they co-sign PA-88 officially with PA-43?

PAHighways

There are no 43/88 assemblies along the route, just the guide signs at the interchanges at either end with the cardinal directions next to the 88 shields.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on July 16, 2012, 11:20:08 PM
There are no 43/88 assemblies along the route, just the guide signs at the interchanges at either end with the cardinal directions next to the 88 shields.

Got any pictures of this? ;)  So, it's just 43 assemblies along there in other words?

vdeane

It might be no assemblies.  I don't know if PA makes an effort to put in a reassurance shield after each exit or not, but that's only a mile long, so I could see assemblies being made for it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on July 16, 2012, 09:36:17 PM
Also, from the Bureau of Redundancy Bureau, I spotted a TOLL SOUTH PA TURNPIKE 43 assembly just south of Exit 26.
Not redundant, since there are free portions of the Turnpike routes. Though it's not necessary on reassurance.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on July 17, 2012, 02:06:03 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on July 16, 2012, 09:36:17 PM
Though it's not necessary on reassurance.
Precisely.

PAHighways

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 16, 2012, 11:44:24 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on July 16, 2012, 11:20:08 PM

Got any pictures of this? ;)  So, it's just 43 assemblies along there in other words?

I do have pictures of the guide signage; however, there were no Turnpike 43 assemblies within the multiplex.

PAHighways

Quote from: NE2 on July 17, 2012, 02:06:03 PMNot redundant, since there are free portions of the Turnpike routes.

I know, but with the exception of the PennDOT-built Chadville Demonstration Project, all portions of the extensions use the Turnpike ### shields.  Even the Uniontown Bypass has Turnpike 43 shields.

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on July 17, 2012, 10:44:11 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 17, 2012, 02:06:03 PMNot redundant, since there are free portions of the Turnpike routes.

I know, but with the exception of the PennDOT-built Chadville Demonstration Project, all portions of the extensions use the Turnpike ### shields.  Even the Uniontown Bypass has Turnpike 43 shields.

That's my point. Putting Turnpike in the shield doesn't mean it's a toll road.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PAHighways

Quote from: NE2 on July 17, 2012, 11:32:25 PM

Not Turnpike, but "PA Turnpike" should be an indication that it is considering the namesake.

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on July 17, 2012, 11:55:07 PM

Not Turnpike, but "PA Turnpike" should be an indication that it is considering the namesake.

So someone should assume the Uniontown Bypass is a toll road?

PAHighways

Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2012, 12:03:04 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on July 17, 2012, 11:55:07 PM

So someone should assume the Uniontown Bypass is a toll road?

No, but those should just be plain PA 43 shields.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

MASTERNC

Also, this is timely from the Mon-Fayette discussion.  They are in fact dropping the leg into Pittsburgh and keeping the leg that goes more east towards Monroeville.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/06/18/Turnpike-officials-revive-Mon-Fayette-Expressway-extension/stories/201506180044

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 18, 2015, 08:47:16 AM
Also, this is timely from the Mon-Fayette discussion.  They are in fact dropping the leg into Pittsburgh and keeping the leg that goes more east towards Monroeville.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/06/18/Turnpike-officials-revive-Mon-Fayette-Expressway-extension/stories/201506180044

Maybe we can finally have a freeway going to I-376. AET would be great for such a freeway. What bridge design would be used for the Mon's bridge over the Monongahela River?
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

noelbotevera

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 18, 2015, 09:01:00 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 18, 2015, 08:47:16 AM

Maybe we can finally have a freeway going to I-376. AET would be great for such a freeway. What bridge design would be used for the Mon's bridge over the Monongahela River?
That's a poor decision choice. An alternate way to get directly south of Pittsburgh and a connector between downtown Pittsburgh and I-68 would have been much more better. I-79 between I-376 and the WV line can be congested, but nope! They decided with Pittsburgh's suburbs.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.