News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Most of this expensive toll rate thing is because PA is quite broke. Really, just find a toll rate that PennDOT and everyone else can be happy with.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 08, 2015, 06:13:31 PM
Most of this expensive toll rate thing is because PA is quite broke. Really, just find a toll rate that PennDOT PTC and everyone else can be happy with.
FTFY.

I mentioned earlier that a $3 E-ZPass/$3 cash-by-mail toll would be a reasonable amount (again, keep in mind that those coming from Florence have already paid an additional $2 to $3 (to the NJTPA) just to get on the Turnpike at the Jersey side of the bridge).  One wants a toll rate to be competitive enough to stimulate (read "encourage") more traffic to use it.  More traffic = more overall toll revenue collected.

If one makes the toll too steep; I guarantee you that the 2-lane Burlington-Bristol Bridge (the next closest bridge to the Turnpike bridge that charges a $2 PA-bound toll) will see a sizable surge in traffic possibly to the point where the PTC may now start getting complaints from outside of the Commonwealth regarding such.

IMHO, this could be another Sakonnet Bridge toll battle in the making.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2015, 01:20:14 PM

A detour around Scudder Falls will be quite a bit longer, and the best option - over the Calhoun Street Bridge - involves a narrower bridge and a longer drive thru Morrisville.  But considering these people currently have a free ride, they're not going to be happy no matter what the toll will be.

Getting OT, but 1 to the Trenton Makes bridge is even better than Calhoun.

MASTERNC

Quote from: odditude on July 08, 2015, 09:01:44 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on July 07, 2015, 07:18:05 PMThis one, however, is much larger than usual (at least for E-ZPass customers)
the increases are the same for cash and EZpass - was that not the case previously?

Yes, there were years increases were lower (or non-existent) for E-ZPass customers.

What concerns me is that one article mentions toll increases are likely for the next 30 years.  If you assume a median (4.5%) increase between the 3-6% they noted, tolls would more than triple in 30 years.

ekt8750

It'll come to the point where 78, 80 and 30 will be reasonable shunpikes.

cl94

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 08, 2015, 09:12:47 PM

Depends on the price of gas. If gas prices increase with inflation, assuming no alternative fuels come into widespread use, the Turnpike might still be cheaper.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

I'd take 22 before 30.

roadman65

Quote from: odditude on July 08, 2015, 01:05:27 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 08, 2015, 10:36:53 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 08, 2015, 10:30:24 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on July 08, 2015, 09:57:31 AMIt's going to be even more ridiculous when (future I-295 / ) I-95 north of Trenton's crossing via the Scudder Falls Bridge will become tolled.
What agency will be tolling that upgraded crossing?  I'm assuming that it will be the DRJTBC (which tolls the US 1 crossing).  Hopefully, they'll have the decency to show some restraint with the future toll rate.  IMHO, that new crossing (Scudder Falls) should not have a PA-bound toll higher than $3 (for passenger vehicles).  All other DRJTBC tolled crossings are currently only $1.

DRJTBC owns the Scudder Falls Bridge. Also I believe the tolls are going up to fund the bridge widening (or are they flat out replacing it?) project so hopefully they go away after its paid for. *snickers*
The bridge is being replaced, and DRJTBC already said the tolls won't be going away.

A detour around Scudder Falls will be quite a bit longer, and the best option - over the Calhoun Street Bridge - involves a narrower bridge and a longer drive thru Morrisville.  But considering these people currently have a free ride, they're not going to be happy no matter what the toll will be.

When I moved down to Florida back in 1990, almost eight years after the Airport Mainline Plaza on FL 528 was added, still people were complaining about that particular toll point.  As prior to 1982, FL 528 was a free road as the current Beachline Freeway was not yet built between present day exits 8 and 13.  A four lane arterial was in place of the freeway and charged nothing. 

When the road was upgraded to freeway to complete the missing link of FL 528's freeway (FL 528 was continuously numbered over the arterial which was McCoy Road) the toll went up and the free alternative became the service road, people complained about paying a toll as they never did before.  As the service road became the new McCoy Road, it got narrowed to two lanes and at its intersection with FL 436, it does a lot of weaving because of the current Exit 11 on FL 528, so the road veers northward and comes to meet with FL 436 at grade 2/10 mile north of the FL 528 and FL 436 interchange.  On the realigned McCoy Road near hear it is a longer distance than the 2/10 mile as it zigs very much and a reduced 35 mph speed limit makes the trip longer.

People will complain, no matter what. You charge for something that was not before and no one likes it.  Of course businesses and government agencies know that and if they have you over a barrel they will do it.  Look at gas prices as we need to use our cars, so naturally the price of oil is much higher than it was 15 years ago, as we have no choice to pay it or else we do not get to work or the market.  Demand, I believe is the word which is why the PTC will jack up prices just like every other commodity out there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: roadman65 on July 09, 2015, 01:53:36 AM
Quote from: odditude on July 08, 2015, 01:05:27 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on July 08, 2015, 09:57:31 AMIt's going to be even more ridiculous when (future I-295 / ) I-95 north of Trenton's crossing via the Scudder Falls Bridge will become tolled.
What agency will be tolling that upgraded crossing?  I'm assuming that it will be the DRJTBC (which tolls the US 1 crossing).  Hopefully, they'll have the decency to show some restraint with the future toll rate.  IMHO, that new crossing (Scudder Falls) should not have a PA-bound toll higher than $3 (for passenger vehicles).  All other DRJTBC tolled crossings are currently only $1.

DRJTBC owns the Scudder Falls Bridge. Also I believe the tolls are going up to fund the bridge widening (or are they flat out replacing it?) project so hopefully they go away after its paid for. *snickers*
The bridge is being replaced, and DRJTBC already said the tolls won't be going away.

When I moved down to Florida back in 1990, almost eight years after the Airport Mainline Plaza on FL 528 was added, still people were complaining about that particular toll point.  As prior to 1982, FL 528 was a free road as the current Beachline Freeway was not yet built between present day exits 8 and 13.  A four lane arterial was in place of the freeway and charged nothing. 

When the road was upgraded to freeway to complete the missing link of FL 528's freeway (FL 528 was continuously numbered over the arterial which was McCoy Road) the toll went up and the free alternative became the service road, people complained about paying a toll as they never did before.  As the service road became the new McCoy Road, it got narrowed to two lanes and at its intersection with FL 436, it does a lot of weaving because of the current Exit 11 on FL 528, so the road veers northward and comes to meet with FL 436 at grade 2/10 mile north of the FL 528 and FL 436 interchange.  On the realigned McCoy Road near hear it is a longer distance than the 2/10 mile as it zigs very much and a reduced 35 mph speed limit makes the trip longer.

People will complain, no matter what. You charge for something that was not before and no one likes it.  Of course businesses and government agencies know that and if they have you over a barrel they will do it.  Look at gas prices as we need to use our cars, so naturally the price of oil is much higher than it was 15 years ago, as we have no choice to pay it or else we do not get to work or the market.  Demand, I believe is the word which is why the PTC will jack up prices just like every other commodity out there.

And this is what throws the fact that people are not making more money into this. Inflation with no more wage, no wonder people want the minimum wage raised. But politics are another Flamewarconversation........
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on July 08, 2015, 11:33:13 PM
I'd take 22 before 30.

30 is awful east of Lancaster.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Most of this expensive toll rate thing is because PA is quite SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County are broke and would massively cut-back operations or impose huge fare increases on their riders without the enormous diversion of toll revenue from Pennsylvania Turnpike patrons. Really, just find a toll rate that PennDOT and everyone else can be happy with.

FTFY.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ekt8750

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 09, 2015, 11:29:36 AM
I'd take 22 before 30.

The bypass isn't too bad if it doesn't have spillage traffic off of 202 but yeah you get east of Paoli you're screwed.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 09, 2015, 11:34:08 AM
Most of this expensive toll rate thing is because PA is quite SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County are broke and would massively cut-back operations or impose huge fare increases on their riders without the enormous diversion of toll revenue from Pennsylvania Turnpike patrons.
FTFY.
Prior to the passage of Act 89; SEPTA actually threatened to shut down about 60% of its Regional Rail sytem (including the line I use for commuting) and retire all its remaining Silverliner IV cars without replacements.  As a result, then-Gov. Corbett blinked (some say that move cost him his re-election bid later that year) and the rest is history.

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 09, 2015, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 09, 2015, 11:29:36 AM30 is awful east of Lancaster.
The bypass isn't too bad if it doesn't have spillage traffic off of 202 but yeah you get east of Paoli you're screwed.
CP's referring to the stretch of US 30 between the bypass (just west of Coatesville) and Lancaster.  That stretch of road does get congested... even on weekends.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

That the Scudder bridge is going toll is news to me.  When was it first announced?  Google isn't helping.

ixnay

Roadrunner75

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 09, 2015, 01:04:39 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 09, 2015, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 09, 2015, 11:29:36 AM30 is awful east of Lancaster.
CP's referring to the stretch of US 30 between the bypass (just west of Coatesville) and Lancaster.  That stretch of road does get congested... even on weekends.
I use 30 as a shunpike quite a bit to visit relatives near Gettysburg.  Unless I really have to make time, I usually go with 30 because I find the turnpike horribly boring between Valley Forge and Harrisburg.  Most of it I find to be relatively fine (typically driving this on a weekend), except I agree on the stretch immediately east of the freeway segment around Lancaster.  I believe there's some improvements coming soon at 41 in Gap, although I'd like to see something done in the aforementioned segment.  If we're lucky, they will start building a bypass here, grade the roadways, install some bridges and then abandon the project to continue the County's limited access goat path network.

odditude

Quote from: ixnay on July 09, 2015, 09:00:05 PMThat the Scudder bridge is going toll is news to me.  When was it first announced?  Google isn't helping.

ixnay

December 2010.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on July 10, 2015, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: ixnay on July 09, 2015, 09:00:05 PMThat the Scudder bridge is going toll is news to me.  When was it first announced?  Google isn't helping.

ixnay

December 2010.

Actually, December 2009!

https://www.drjtbc.org/default.aspx?pageid=735

QuoteIn December 2009, the Commission voted to establish cashless tolling for the Scudder Falls Replacement Bridge. 

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 09, 2015, 11:29:36 AM
I'd take 22 before 30.

You can take 741 or 340.

cpzilliacus

Philly.com: Pa. Turnpike looks to do away with toll collectors

QuoteThe opening of the Pennsylvania Turnpike's first all-electronic toll facility in Bucks County in January will be the first step toward doing away with cash tolls - and toll collectors - all along the turnpike.

QuoteAll-electronic tolling also is part of the long-delayed direct connection between the turnpike and I-95, now under construction.

QuoteIn January, when all turnpike tolls are to be increased by 6 percent, a new electronic toll will also be imposed on westbound vehicles at the eastern end of the turnpike. The toll will be $5 for vehicles with E-ZPass and $6.75 for those without. The non-E-ZPass vehicles' owners will be billed by mail, based on license plates.

QuoteThat is a harbinger of the future.

odditude

02 Park Ave

Quote from: odditude on July 12, 2015, 11:11:58 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 12, 2015, 02:22:01 AM
Philly.com: Pa. Turnpike looks to do away with toll collectorsl

so of course the article's picture is of a toll both on the NJ Turnpike.

The article is from Philadelphia, so what do you expect?
C-o-H

vdeane

I'm pretty sure news organizations these days just google "toll booths" and grab the first image they find rather than actually sending out a photographer.  There's been a lot of downsizing these days.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

A toll booth is a toll booth in some people's mind.  It does not matter which road its on, its all the same I feel that some believe.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 09, 2015, 09:43:23 PMI use 30 as a shunpike quite a bit to visit relatives near Gettysburg.  Unless I really have to make time, I usually go with 30 because I find the turnpike horribly boring between Valley Forge and Harrisburg.  Most of it I find to be relatively fine (typically driving this on a weekend), except I agree on the stretch immediately east of the freeway segment around Lancaster.
One downside with the freeway portions of 30, from Lancaster and points east, is that still has a posted 55-mph speed limit vs. the Turnpike's posted 65 and 70 (west of I-176/Morgantown) limits.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 09, 2015, 09:43:23 PMI believe there's some improvements coming soon at 41 in Gap, although I'd like to see something done in the aforementioned segment.  If we're lucky, they will start building a bypass here, grade the roadways, install some bridges and then abandon the project to continue the County's limited access goat path network.
Not to sound like a skeptic, but I'll believe such when I actually see it being built.  Truth be told, fictional territory here, there needs to be a US 30 freeway link between PA 462 and Coatesville (just east of PA 10) as well as an upgrade of PA 41 into a freeway north of US 1.

Quote from: Alps on July 10, 2015, 10:55:44 PMYou can take 741 or 340.
The downside of using those roads are when one gets behind a slowpoke (I'm not just talking about Amish buggies) and there's no passing zones (741 has a few, 340... not so much); and one has to slow down when going through some towns.

While both are good alternatives to 30; such may not be of help regarding the PA Turnpike (which is further north).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

there's also no good alternatives if you're coming from north of the city. as it is, if i'm going to the Lansdale/Collegeville/Phoenixville area, my options are to take route 1 down to the Turnpike and then back up the NE Ext or back-road the entire thing at a significant time cost - and that's not even that long a trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.