News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

I follow the Design and Construction turnpike site, several projects with specific start dates are now "tbd" after the Delaware bridge closure, I hope that the Irwin to New Kensington section does not hit the chopping block.

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on March 08, 2017, 09:55:33 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 08, 2017, 03:13:27 PM
And hopefully not learn the answer when next one fails... Some mysteries go unsolved, but I would also setup some monitoring to keep an eye on the thing...
Well, they thoroughly scoured the bridge for evidence of more similar plug welds, so the fact it's reopening so quickly suggests it's not going to be a problem.
I still don't believe those plugs were the root cause.

Gnutella

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 09, 2017, 03:30:33 AM
I follow the Design and Construction turnpike site, several projects with specific start dates are now "tbd" after the Delaware bridge closure, I hope that the Irwin to New Kensington section does not hit the chopping block.

I don't see why it would, considering it's the most heavily traveled segment of the Turnpike in western Pennsylvania.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kalvado on March 09, 2017, 05:44:45 AM
And hopefully not learn the answer when next one fails... Some mysteries go unsolved, but I would also setup some monitoring to keep an eye on the thing...
Well, they thoroughly scoured the bridge for evidence of more similar plug welds, so the fact it's reopening so quickly suggests it's not going to be a problem.

A licensed engineer I have spoken with feels that the plug welds were a contributing factor. 

Might a badly overweight truck have been the factor that triggered the fracture?  Possibly, as there was at least one media report describing a loud bang sometime in December from the  vicinity of the bridge.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 09, 2017, 03:30:33 AM

From what I read, the PA Turnpike spent $1 million on contracts for this bridge; the NJ Turnpike has spent about $12 Million.  The $13 million or so will be split between the two agencies.  Add in, let's say, $2 million a week in lost revenue (according to what I read), and the PTC could have spent/lost about $50 million in total due to the bridge failure.

Believe it or not, but Turnpikes (at least the NJ Turnpike) has insurance against such issues.  If it's worth it to them, based on the plans and deductibles, they can recoup some of the money lost.

The PTC earned about $1.05 Billion in FY 16 (June 1, 2015 - May 31, 2016).  $450 Million of that went to PennDOT.  Maybe PennDOT would find in their hearts to reduce the Act 44 payment this year by the $25 million or whatever was lost to assist the PTC.  Overall, it shouldn't delay/defer too many construction projects.

kalvado

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 09, 2017, 07:54:53 AM
Quote from: kalvado on March 09, 2017, 05:44:45 AM

A licensed engineer I have spoken with feels that the plug welds were a contributing factor. 

Might a badly overweight truck have been the factor that triggered the fracture?  Possibly, as there was at least one media report describing a loud bang sometime in December from the  vicinity of the bridge.
They were a contributing factor beyond any doubt. But there had to be some other factors, some reason for high stress.. Structure was fine for 50+ years, and then decided to fail... It doesn't look deteriorated....

jeffandnicole

02 Park Ave

In the article it is stated that the bridge will reopen to car traffic.
C-o-H

ixnay

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 09, 2017, 06:35:59 PM

Yeah J&N, did you even bother to read past the headline???

ixnay

wanderer2575

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2017, 05:47:30 PM
The PA/NJ Turnpike Bridge is opening tonight! http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/Turnpike-bridge-over-the-Delaware-will-reopen-tonight-cracked-truss-repaired.html?mobi=true

Quote"Everyone feels very sure it's going to be able to support weight,"  DeFebo said.

Somehow that statement lacks something in reassurance.  You go first, buddy.

02 Park Ave

Limiting bridge traffic to automobiles eliminates the danger of overloading the structure.
C-o-H

kalvado

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 09, 2017, 07:40:23 PM
Limiting bridge traffic to automobiles eliminates the danger of overloading the structure.
Another quote from the article:
Quoteif weight is confirmed as a factor in the crack officials would consider adjusting police enforcement to prevent trucks that exceed the bridge's weight limits from crossing.
That sounds to me as if trucks are / maybe / will be allowed..

MASTERNC

Quote from: kalvado on March 09, 2017, 07:43:56 PM
Another quote from the article:
Quoteif weight is confirmed as a factor in the crack officials would consider adjusting police enforcement to prevent trucks that exceed the bridge's weight limits from crossing.
That sounds to me as if trucks are / maybe / will be allowed..

Maybe they need a weigh station in NJ prior to the bridge.

FWIW, though, the press release from the PTC doesn't mention restricting the bridge to cars.

https://www.paturnpike.com/press/2017/20170309180253.htm

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on March 09, 2017, 07:21:07 PM

ixnay

When you read news articles, you need to understand that these articles are written by people that have absolutely no knowledge of the situation, quickly type out a story, and rush it past an editor before it's posted online.

I actually saw a tv news story about the bridge before I pulled up the newspaper story. Along with the press releases on the NJ & PA Turnpikes, not a single other story said car traffic only.

Also, if you think it's only going to be open to car traffic, do you really think a single mention of it in a single article will suffice? Do you think that it would be a pretty big issue to try to limit an interstate highway bridge to just cars? Imagine the enforcement and manpower required to limit such a bridge to just cars.

Seriously...use your fricken heads and surmise that the 'car' part was written by a hurried reporter..and look at the overall big picture that not a single other mention of a truck limitation or weight limitation was mentioned anywhere.

cpzilliacus

It also excludes the vehicles that pay the highest tolls on both turnpikes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

KYW this morning is saying that the bridge is indeed open with no mention of any vehicle restrictions.

OTOH Google Maps is still showing the bridge as closed.

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2017, 09:40:16 PM
Quote from: ixnay on March 09, 2017, 07:21:07 PM

ixnay

When you read news articles, you need to understand that these articles are written by people that have absolutely no knowledge of the situation, quickly type out a story, and rush it past an editor before it's posted online.

I actually saw a tv news story about the bridge before I pulled up the newspaper story. Along with the press releases on the NJ & PA Turnpikes, not a single other story said car traffic only.

Also, if you think it's only going to be open to car traffic, do you really think a single mention of it in a single article will suffice? Do you think that it would be a pretty big issue to try to limit an interstate highway bridge to just cars? Imagine the enforcement and manpower required to limit such a bridge to just cars.

Seriously...use your fricken heads and surmise that the 'car' part was written by a hurried reporter..and look at the overall big picture that not a single other mention of a truck limitation or weight limitation was mentioned anywhere.

Some of us don't have time for that.

For want of a nail, the horse had failed.  For want of a horse, a kingdom had fallen.  For a reporter's (lack of) want of a three-letter word, we wouldn't be having this argument.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Fox 29 had their helicopter over the bridge with normal traffic. 

Driving on 295 over the Turnpike Extension roadway this morning, there was actually a slight slowdown...probably with people looking down at the Turnpike with what appeared to be a very normal traffic flow.  Word certainly got out quickly the bridge was open.

NJ Turnpike VMS Sigange: "WEST 276, EXIT 6 Penn Turnpike OPEN".

NJDOT Signage on some VMS signs: "NJ TURNPIKE BRIDGE TO PA REOPENED"

PHLBOS

One video clip from Channel 3 (KYW) this morning showed a semi moving along on the bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

davewiecking

Also quoting from Mr. Laughlin's article in the Inquirer:

"Eight tri-axle dump trucks collectively carrying 40 tons were driven over the bridge to test the sturdiness of the repairs."

One can either read that sentence and assume that 8 trucks averaging 5 tons of load each drove over the bridge, or one can use one's brain and realize that Mr. Laughlin doesn't have very good command of the English language, and should perhaps seek another line of employment.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ixnay on March 10, 2017, 07:09:54 AM
KYW this morning is saying that the bridge is indeed open with no mention of any vehicle restrictions.

ixnay

It took awhile before Google maps showed US 11/US 15 south of Marysville as open after the closure for the rock fence project ended last June.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 10, 2017, 04:11:02 PM

ixnay

It took awhile before Google maps showed US 11/US 15 south of Marysville as open after the closure for the rock fence project ended last June.
Proof that one should not solely rely on internet/electronic maps for info.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 10, 2017, 04:15:33 PM

ixnay

Do you mean paper maps were more up to date?

billpa

Quote from: kalvado on March 10, 2017, 05:06:39 PM

ixnay

Well, my paper map has it open.

SM-T230NU

ekt8750

Quote from: billpa on March 11, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 10, 2017, 05:06:39 PM

ixnay

Well, my paper map has it open.

SM-T230NU

And it probably never had it closed in the first place :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.