News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on December 09, 2010, 06:15:57 PMIn fact, if we care about interchange names at all (I'm not clear why we do; this isn't Germany)...

Where you think the idea for the Turnpike came from.

PAHighways

PAHighways

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on December 22, 2010, 06:10:31 PM
Pennsylvania Turnpike Changes Mind About Not Printing Tolls on Tickets - Harrisburg Patriot-News

Nice that they have decided to reverse it.  Too bad it will take like 3 months for the new tickets to be ready. :pan:

Alps

Pennsylvania Turnpike Changes Mind About Not Printing Tolls on Tickets - Harrisburg Patriot-News
That'll make the blank toll tickets a collectors' item.  Jeff, you're PennDOT incarnate, can you get some for us?

Ian

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 22, 2010, 07:18:47 PM
That'll make the blank toll tickets a collectors' item.  Jeff, you're PennDOT incarnate, can you get some for us?

I second that!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 22, 2010, 08:14:46 PM

I second that!

And I'll 3rd it!  Too bad it's the Turnpike we're talking about which isn't part of PennDOT (yet....).

PAHighways

I doubt it.

When I held the 2003 Harrisburg Meet which included a tour of the PTC HQ, we tried to score some then but were told no.

PAHighways

PAHighways

PAHighways

PAHighways

PAHighways

Pennsylvania Turnpike Starts Construction of Route 29 All-Electronic Interchange

This project, much like many of them, has been talked about for years and it's finally getting off the drawing boards unlike many that have not.

mightyace

While it is well known to regulars on this board that I am resistant to all-electronic tolling at this point in time, I do have to agree that building this interchange as EZ-Pass only is a reasonable idea in this case.

As this looks to be an interchange primarily for commuters, the percentage of potential users of the interchange that already have EZPasses is probably much higher than the 60% average mentioned in the press release.

Also, with the PTC looking to go all electronic in the near future, it wouldn't be prudent to spend money on traditional toll booths here.  And, hopefully, once the PTC does go all electronic, they will change the cameras to toll non-transponder users at the toll-by-plate rate instead of looking at them as violators.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

mightyace

^^^

Nothing unusual of the stories of the unhappy people here.

Unfortunately, there's only so much that can be done to fight eminent domain.

And, while it must stink to be one of the affected property owners, anyone with any degree of common sense should know that losing land or the entire property to a road project comes with buying a property by a major highway.  But, far too many people don't have common sense and they expect their freeway adjacent property to be as quiet and stable as a cabin in the woods.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

PAHighways

Pa. Turnpike Announces Reopening of Dauphin Lebanon County Service Plaza

This comes nearly a week after the Bowmansville Service Plaza reopened on the eastbound side in Lancaster County.

PAHighways

Prank signs on rest area drinking fountains target gas drilling - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Professionally done signs are being affixed to drinking fountains at service plazas along the Turnpike, but they aren't official.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PAHighways on June 27, 2011, 11:10:57 PM
Prank signs on rest area drinking fountains target gas drilling - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Professionally done signs are being affixed to drinking fountains at service plazas along the Turnpike, but they aren't official.

You know you pay attention to signs a bit too much when you see that, and before even reading it's "warning" you think "Gee... That DEP logo looks bogus."
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

MASTERNC

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 28, 2011, 12:52:08 PM

Quote from: PAHighways on June 27, 2011, 11:10:57 PM

You know you pay attention to signs a bit too much when you see that, and before even reading it's "warning" you think "Gee... That DEP logo looks bogus."

Hate to say there are a lot of "special interest" groups that advertise on PA Turnpike billboards.  I can think of AFSCME, anti puppy mill organizations, an association for juvenile justice officers, and clean coal.

Michael in Philly

^^What's wrong with that?

And it's unconstitutional to prohibit advocacy or political speech unless you prohibit billboards altogether.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

PAHighways

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 28, 2011, 09:09:03 PMHate to say there are a lot of "special interest" groups that advertise on PA Turnpike billboards.  I can think of AFSCME, anti puppy mill organizations, an association for juvenile justice officers, and clean coal.

I do not recall seeing any billboards within the PTC ROW.  The ones outside the fenced off ROW are usually owned by Viacom and other advertising agencies.

NE2

Better than on Florida's Turnpike:
QuoteHeartbeat Starts at [foo] Weeks
QuotePregnant? Your Child's Heart is Already Beating!
Nice to know that pregnancy doesn't begin at conception :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.