News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 460 (Petersburg, VA to Suffolk, VA)

Started by 74/171FAN, February 19, 2009, 06:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 19, 2016, 10:11:03 PM
I'm gonna check out US 460 in Petersburg when I go to the Richmond area tomorrow. I'll see if traffic can't be that bad.

Remember that U.S. 460 does not go through Richmond - and in any case, beware of the I-295 speed trap north of U.S. 460 in Hopewell.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Jmiles32

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 19, 2016, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 18, 2016, 03:59:03 PM
Quote from: froggie on June 18, 2016, 12:40:12 PM
US 460 needs upgrading, yes.  But the dispute is the level of upgrading needed, which conversely translates into how much money you're willing to spend on a corridor that A) doesn't see all that much traffic in the grand scheme of things (especially compared to I-64 east of Richmond or even US 58), and B) doesn't have much of a population or economy base to capitalize on the improvement.

At the very least, VDOT could add a median and a center turn lane where needed, but I agree that I-64 would be a better investment compared to US-460.

My problem with only improving I-64 is simple - there are intermodal transportation (seaports) and military assets in Hampton Roads that are national in importance, and as I suggested upthread, network redundancy is a good thing, and improving I-64 alone does not provide much of that (even if capacity at the HRBT is dramatically increased by adding two new tubes or by other means).

Improving U.S. 460 (or perhaps U.S. 58) to a freeway-type road does improve that redundancy. 

Agreed. US-58 as of now is good except of that terrible stench in Holland west of the Suffolk bypass. That part should be upgraded immediately! I think the best option regarding US-460 would be to build a new US-460 freeway from the Suffolk bypass to Zuni as that is where the most traffic occurs. West of Zuni all that should be done is to add a darn median already. I haven't traveled the route in a while but I can imagine during beach season, driving down that road could be very stressful. Around how much would adding a median on US-460 west of Zuni cost? I assume it would please the environmentalists. All I know is that I'm glad Hampton Roads is finally recognizing and doing something to fix its traffic

FYI, I am not trying to nitpick posts based on grammar, but please try to at least proofread before posting (especially if you are unsure how to spell something).
-Thanks,
Mark
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

amroad17

Maybe Virginia should do what Texas has done.  Texas has a three tentacled I-69 branching near the Corpus Christi area.  Why can't Hampton Roads have three tentacles branching west toward Richmond, Petersburg, and Emporia?  I mean one is already finished, why not work on the other two.  It can't do anything but help.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

74/171FAN

Quote from: amroad17 on June 21, 2016, 04:32:10 AM
Maybe Virginia should do what Texas has done.  Texas has a three tentacled I-69 branching near the Corpus Christi area.  Why can't Hampton Roads have three tentacles branching west toward Richmond, Petersburg, and Emporia?  I mean one is already finished, why not work on the other two.  It can't do anything but help.

I think NC would make sure future I-87 is part of your plan  :-D  In all seriousness though, I-64 EB already turns west, and I doubt Hampton Roads would want to confuse its residents and tourists anymore than it already has.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

There's also the little matter of traffic volumes and cost-effectiveness for a freeway-grade facility.  US 460 doesn't have it.  Despite what some in NC would like to believe, neither does US 17.  US 58 only barely has it, and at that only as far west as Emporia.

Mapmikey

ROUTE 460 PROJECT SOUTHEAST VIRGINIA FINAL SUPPLEMENTAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT AVAILABLE FOR  REVIEW

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/statewide/2016/route_460_project_southeast102444.asp

If the permit is issued by the Army Corp of Engineers, the project will then be scored under what used to be referred to as HB2...

noelbotevera

I checked out part of US 460 in Petersburg, while traveling in and around Richmond for the last 2 weeks. It seems many signs point that US 460 was never rerouted onto I-85 through Petersburg, and that US 460 Business doesn't exist. Culpeper had this same phenomenon, so I'm betting that independent cities such as Petersburg and Culpeper maintain their own signs, and that they never have updated the 30+ year old signs.

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 26, 2016, 09:52:23 PM
I checked out part of US 460 in Petersburg, while traveling in and around Richmond for the last 2 weeks. It seems many signs point that US 460 was never rerouted onto I-85 through Petersburg, and that US 460 Business doesn't exist. Culpeper had this same phenomenon, so I'm betting that independent cities such as Petersburg and Culpeper maintain their own signs, and that they never have updated the 30+ year old signs.

Yes Petersburg and Culpeper maintain their own signs as independent cities, but I lived in the Petersburg area for 23 years and both US 460 and US 460 Business have always been fully posted on their respective routes.  The 2007 relocation of US 460 onto Wagner Rd and I-95 is not that well-posted though, and there are a 460 shields without the business banner on the old US 460 on County Dr there.  (The I-85/US 460 cutout shields are also considered iconic to roads/signs enthusiasts as well.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Virginian Pilot/Pilotonline.com: Army Corp of Engineers approve permit for U.S. 460 project

QuoteThe Army Corps of Engineers has approved a permit to allow 16 miles of highway improvements to U.S. 460.

QuoteThe corps is responsible for making sure road projects damage the environment as little as possible. The proposal affects 35 acres of wetlands.

QuoteIt's a major hurdle for a project that had run into environmental roadblocks before.

QuoteEfforts to expand U.S. 460 have faltered over the past decade when a proposed 55-mile toll road from Suffolk to Petersburg was pushed through a contracting process without a permit from the corps.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 03, 2016, 01:13:29 PM
QuoteEfforts to expand U.S. 460 have faltered over the past decade when a proposed 55-mile toll road from Suffolk to Petersburg was pushed through a contracting process without a permit from the corps.

Say wha?!  What idiot thought that was a good idea?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2016, 11:28:08 AM

Start with reply #77 on page 4 of this thread and read a couple pages worth...that should explain enough about what happened... 

Fixed quote.   -Mark

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 04, 2016, 12:14:33 PM

Start with reply #77 on page 4 of this thread and read a couple pages worth...that should explain enough about what happened...

Dear heavens.  What a cluster****.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

Is the 460 toll road proposal still active, or has it been killed?

74/171FAN

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 04, 2016, 02:50:42 PM
Is the 460 toll road proposal still active, or has it been killed?

As originally conceived it has been killed. Just read through the rest of this thread to see what had happened.

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2016, 12:20:22 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on October 04, 2016, 12:14:33 PM

Dear heavens.  What a cluster****.

For the record, I am originally from one of the counties (Prince George) that this road was going to be in.  My history teacher in high school once even said that he would be in a wheelchair by the time the road was built. 

A bunch of recently-built houses (since 2000 I believe) would have been taken by VDOT along VA 156 where its interchange with US 460 would have been.  (This was the major reason why we discussed it a few times in school.)

74/171FAN

So we may finally be done with mentioning this project, once and for all:

Virginian-Pilot:  U.S. 460 project from Suffolk to Zuni likely dead. Here's why.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.